Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Thermal compound or not

Thermal compound or not

buffy

Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
enough????

Gordon Burgess-Parker

buffy wrote:
> Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat
> sink / fan enough????

I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

--
Google is your Friend
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

°Mike°

Is your system experiencing heat problems?

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:38:05 +0100, in
<bm4df9$du5$(E-Mail Removed)>
buffy scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ghostrider

buffy wrote:

> Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
> enough????

Thermal compound recommended due to the high temperatures that can
occur with modern processors. However, thermal compound not needed
if a thermal pad is already present on the bottom of the heatsink. If a pad
is present, remember to peel off or remove the protective plastic cover.

DaveW

If it calls for thermal compound, the heat sink/fan is
likely to be almost useless without it.

"buffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm4df9$du5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
> enough????

buffy

I'm going to install an Athlon XP 2600XP processor that has come with the
heatsink and fan. Just wondering whether it needed any thermal compound
cause it tralked about it at a couple of sites??
"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> buffy wrote:
>
> > Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink /

fan
> > enough????

> Thermal compound recommended due to the high temperatures that can
> occur with modern processors. However, thermal compound not needed
> if a thermal pad is already present on the bottom of the heatsink. If a

pad
> is present, remember to peel off or remove the protective plastic cover.

Mike0000

buffy wrote:

> Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
> enough????

If the heatsink doesnt have a peel-off pad then you will need some.
Remember, you can never use too little of the stuff.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

leftnutrzr

> I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

cute but NO
sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell someone

Gordon Burgess-Parker

leftnutrzr wrote:
>> I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

> cute but NO
> sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell someone

If the OP is able to ask questions about thermal compound, then I assume
they have got enough common sense to ignore my facetious reply.......

--
Google is your Friend
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

DaveW

"Gordon Burgess-Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm5hv6$iudkc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> leftnutrzr wrote:
> >> I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

> > cute but NO
> > sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell someone

> If the OP is able to ask questions about thermal compound, then I assume
> they have got enough common sense to ignore my facetious reply.......

A VERY dangerous assumption to make.
If you must assume anything, assume the OP is totally clueless,
a 404, lacks any common sense, will do as you say w/o question.