Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FDISK Question

FDISK Question

Ged

Im trying to create a new partition on a 4 GB fuji hard drive using fdisk in
dos 6.0
I Deleted the old partition and now while trying to create a new one
I get the message -write protect error writing fixed disk
This message appears at 1%.

My first impression would be a faulty drive /
I`m not sure if the write protection can be removed.

Thankyou / all

Werner Flamme

Ged schrieb am 09.10.2003 16:17:
> Im trying to create a new partition on a 4 GB fuji hard drive using fdisk in
> dos 6.0
> I Deleted the old partition and now while trying to create a new one
> I get the message -write protect error writing fixed disk
> This message appears at 1%.
>
> My first impression would be a faulty drive /
> I`m not sure if the write protection can be removed.
>
> Thankyou / all

As far as I know, DOS 6 handles Disks only up to 2 GB. And I never saw a
write protected (by hardware) hard drive.

--
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
UFZ Umweltforschungszentrum Leipzig-Halle GmbH,

Harrison

Use a Windows 98 boot disk.
www.bootdisk.com

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:17:18 +0100, "Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Im trying to create a new partition on a 4 GB fuji hard drive using fdisk in
>dos 6.0
>I Deleted the old partition and now while trying to create a new one
>I get the message -write protect error writing fixed disk
>This message appears at 1%.
>
>My first impression would be a faulty drive /
>I`m not sure if the write protection can be removed.
>
>Thankyou / all

John

If your using dos 6.0 or above then the fdisk util
on there should be ok
As for the write protect message ur drive is bad
Bin it and get a new one.

"Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm3ql7$pkq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im trying to create a new partition on a 4 GB fuji hard drive using fdisk

in
> dos 6.0
> I Deleted the old partition and now while trying to create a new one
> I get the message -write protect error writing fixed disk
> This message appears at 1%.
>
> My first impression would be a faulty drive /
> I`m not sure if the write protection can be removed.
>
> Thankyou / all

°Mike°

Have you disabled virus detection in the BIOS?

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:17:18 +0100, in
<bm3ql7$pkq$(E-Mail Removed)>
Ged scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Dead_Dad

Werner Flamme wrote:
> Ged schrieb am 09.10.2003 16:17:
>> Im trying to create a new partition on a 4 GB fuji hard drive using
>> fdisk in dos 6.0
>> I Deleted the old partition and now while trying to create a new one
>> I get the message -write protect error writing fixed disk
>> This message appears at 1%.
>>
>> My first impression would be a faulty drive /
>> I`m not sure if the write protection can be removed.
>>
>> Thankyou / all
>>

> As far as I know, DOS 6 handles Disks only up to 2 GB. And I never
> saw a write protected (by hardware) hard drive.

I put a write protect switch on my backup drive way back when (It was a 40MB
MFM ANAICR - that should tell you how long ago it was <G>). I just snipped
one of the data wires (I forget which one), hooked up a microtoggle across
the gap, and mounted it on the back of the case next to the reset button.

Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

Jeroen Bakker

Harrison,

I did some checking on Google and I seem to have found an answer to your
problem. I think the answer lies in the post I found on the web at:
http://mall.eyo.com.au/tech-forum/posts/394736.html It explains that you
have to set the jumper on your hardrive to CS (Cable Select) and use the
last plug on your IDE cable (the blue one) to connect your harddrive to the
MB (Mother Board). I hope you can understand the post, if not let me know
and I'll see what else I can do. Good luck!

Ciao,

Elmo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...