Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > offline

offline

Tellef Øgrim

Can anyone advice me how to determine whether it is possible or not to
access Internet from on my Compaq Armada M700 that I yesterday equipped with
RedHat8? I have been to System Tools>hardware Browser>network devices aswell
as to Internet config. Wisard, without being able to activate the Ethernet
card "Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b (eth0). (I have also gone to documentation
at redhat.com, without result). Can there be an incongruency between RedHat
Linux8 and my machine?

Harrison

Why not RedHat 9?
http://www.linuxiso.org
It properly configured all of my hardware...and I've got some pretty
uncommon stuff.

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:04:43 +0200, "Tellef Øgrim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone advice me how to determine whether it is possible or not to
>access Internet from on my Compaq Armada M700 that I yesterday equipped with
>RedHat8? I have been to System Tools>hardware Browser>network devices aswell
>as to Internet config. Wisard, without being able to activate the Ethernet
>card "Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b (eth0). (I have also gone to documentation
>at redhat.com, without result). Can there be an incongruency between RedHat
>Linux8 and my machine?

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Harrison wrote:
> Why not RedHat 9?
> http://www.linuxiso.org
> It properly configured all of my hardware...and I've got some pretty
> uncommon stuff.

Do you happen to know whether RH9 will work with a USB TA connected to a
cardbus USB2 card?
I'm really wanting to get rid of Windows but can't until I find out whether
this combination will work.

(I have to use a TA for reasons to do with access to the ISDN line we have
installed)

Thanks!

--
Google is your Friend
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

Harrison

I don't know, but there are a couple of options.

1. Download and burn Knoppix. It's a Debian distro which boots and
runs from the CD. It's great for Linux testing. Knoppix can also be
installed to the hard drive with a bit of coaxing.

2. Download and dual boot RedHat 9. It will set up the dual boot menu
or you can boot from floppy. If it doesn't work out, delete the
partition (created from Windows free space during setup) and restore
the Windows MBR.

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:30:48 +0100, "Gordon Burgess-Parker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Harrison wrote:
>> Why not RedHat 9?
>> http://www.linuxiso.org
>> It properly configured all of my hardware...and I've got some pretty
>> uncommon stuff.
>>

>Do you happen to know whether RH9 will work with a USB TA connected to a
>cardbus USB2 card?
>I'm really wanting to get rid of Windows but can't until I find out whether
>this combination will work.
>
>(I have to use a TA for reasons to do with access to the ISDN line we have
>installed)
>
>Thanks!

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Harrison wrote:
> I don't know, but there are a couple of options.
>
> 1. Download and burn Knoppix. It's a Debian distro which boots and
> runs from the CD. It's great for Linux testing. Knoppix can also be
> installed to the hard drive with a bit of coaxing.
>
> 2. Download and dual boot RedHat 9. It will set up the dual boot menu
> or you can boot from floppy. If it doesn't work out, delete the
> partition (created from Windows free space during setup) and restore
> the Windows MBR.
>
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:30:48 +0100, "Gordon Burgess-Parker"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Harrison wrote:
>>> Why not RedHat 9?
>>> http://www.linuxiso.org
>>> It properly configured all of my hardware...and I've got some pretty
>>> uncommon stuff.
>>>

>> Do you happen to know whether RH9 will work with a USB TA connected
>> to a cardbus USB2 card?
>> I'm really wanting to get rid of Windows but can't until I find out
>> whether this combination will work.
>>
>> (I have to use a TA for reasons to do with access to the ISDN line
>> we have installed)
>>
>> Thanks!

Thanks - I'll give that a try.

--
Google is your Friend
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

why?

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:04:43 +0200, Tellef Øgrim wrote:

>Can anyone advice me how to determine whether it is possible or not to
>access Internet from on my Compaq Armada M700 that I yesterday equipped with
>RedHat8? I have been to System Tools>hardware Browser>network devices aswell

On the startup screen you may see something like

Bringing up Loopback Interface: [OK]
Bringing up interface eth0: [OK]

The OK is either in green or a red [FAILED] IIRC.

>as to Internet config. Wisard, without being able to activate the Ethernet
>card "Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b (eth0). (I have also gone to documentation

Is it a built in NIC or a PCCARD, maybe the PCMCIA servers are starting
after the networking instead of before. I had this happen a few times.

Did you try this from a terminal window

/etc/init.d/network restart

gives this,

Shutting down interface eth0: OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: OK ]
Setting network parameters: OK ]
Bringing up loopback interface: OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: OK ]
[r@optiplex r]#

does the output of
ifconfig -a
look okay, sort of like this, IP address, MAC of the NIC.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:4F:90:65:64
inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:15435 (15.0 Kb) TX bytes:15034 (14.6 Kb)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

What about any messages in the log files

tail /var/log/messages
tail /var/log/dmseg
tail /ver/log/boot.log

The command tail displays the last 10 or 12 lines, if you want to see
more try

less /var/messages

etc. Use up/down arrow to move amd / to search i.e. /Oct and q to quit

man page for less
http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?less

>at redhat.com, without result). Can there be an incongruency between RedHat
>Linux8 and my machine?

Maybe, try a Linux group there are a lot. Also,

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ there are 3 links for the M700.

http://www.tldp.org/ , see the HOWTOs

Me

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Harrison wrote:
> I don't know, but there are a couple of options.
>
> 1. Download and burn Knoppix. It's a Debian distro which boots and
> runs from the CD. It's great for Linux testing. Knoppix can also be
> installed to the hard drive with a bit of coaxing.
>
> 2. Download and dual boot RedHat 9. It will set up the dual boot menu
> or you can boot from floppy. If it doesn't work out, delete the
> partition (created from Windows free space during setup) and restore
> the Windows MBR.

I did this (No 2) but it didn't recognise either the USB2 Cardbus or the TA
connected to it! (Sob!) So I'm going to have to wait until I've got
sufficient cash (ie got a job!) to buy a proper serial TA.