Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Tying tops of plastic bags?

Tying tops of plastic bags?

Serendipity

A few moons ago I asked if anyone could point me in the
direction of a source (in the UK) that could provide a little device
for twist tying the tops of black plastic refuse bags.

Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

The device is similar in appearance to the old style
pump screwdriver, but the rotation was exactly the
opposite in that thetwisting action turned in an anti-clockwise
direction.

I was given an address, but upon following it up, I found
that it was a very professional "Packaging" company, helpful
as could be, but expensive. The device, and the 'twist' wires
which I had bought from an old fashioned Ironmonger a few
years ago had jumped in price from - if memory serves me
correctly - from under 3.00 to something approaching 40.00
which is beyond my means.

So, the question is, does anyone know of one of these
devices at a more reasonable - to me - price?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Mara

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:07:02 +0100, Serendipity wrote:

>A few moons ago I asked if anyone could point me in the
>direction of a source (in the UK) that could provide a little device
>for twist tying the tops of black plastic refuse bags.
>
>Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
>the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
>
>The device is similar in appearance to the old style
>pump screwdriver, but the rotation was exactly the
>opposite in that thetwisting action turned in an anti-clockwise
>direction.
>
>I was given an address, but upon following it up, I found
>that it was a very professional "Packaging" company, helpful
>as could be, but expensive. The device, and the 'twist' wires
>which I had bought from an old fashioned Ironmonger a few
>years ago had jumped in price from - if memory serves me
>correctly - from under 3.00 to something approaching 40.00
>which is beyond my means.
>
>So, the question is, does anyone know of one of these
>devices at a more reasonable - to me - price?

Try here:

http://www.securityseal.com/internat...gilliborse.htm

--
Bozone (n.) The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows

Greg M

If nothing at the place Mara sent you works, look for supplies
involving sandbags.

They make an inexpensive crank with a hook on the end. It uses short,
4 or 5 inch long wires with loops on each end. Fold the wire, match
the loops, put the hook end in the loops and crank a few times. That
closes the bags.

Serendipity <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A few moons ago I asked if anyone could point me in the
> direction of a source (in the UK) that could provide a little
> device for twist tying the tops of black plastic refuse bags.
>
> Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
> the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
>
> The device is similar in appearance to the old style
> pump screwdriver, but the rotation was exactly the
> opposite in that thetwisting action turned in an anti-clockwise
> direction.
>
> I was given an address, but upon following it up, I found
> that it was a very professional "Packaging" company, helpful
> as could be, but expensive. The device, and the 'twist' wires
> which I had bought from an old fashioned Ironmonger a few
> years ago had jumped in price from - if memory serves me
> correctly - from under 3.00 to something approaching 40.00
> which is beyond my means.
>
> So, the question is, does anyone know of one of these
> devices at a more reasonable - to me - price?

SgtMinor

Serendipity wrote:

> A few moons ago I asked if anyone could point me in the
> direction of a source (in the UK) that could provide a little device
> for twist tying the tops of black plastic refuse bags.
>
> Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
> the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
>
> The device is similar in appearance to the old style
> pump screwdriver, but the rotation was exactly the
> opposite in that thetwisting action turned in an anti-clockwise
> direction.
>
> I was given an address, but upon following it up, I found
> that it was a very professional "Packaging" company, helpful
> as could be, but expensive. The device, and the 'twist' wires
> which I had bought from an old fashioned Ironmonger a few
> years ago had jumped in price from - if memory serves me
> correctly - from under 3.00 to something approaching 40.00
> which is beyond my means.
>
> So, the question is, does anyone know of one of these
> devices at a more reasonable - to me - price?
>
> Thank you in advance for your advice.

To add to the previous responses, these ties and twisting tools are used
in the construction industry for tying rebar prior to cement pouring.
Take a look here for ties and twisters:
http://www.icfaccessories.com/icf_to...wire_tools.htm

The 'pig tail' tool has a handle that turns around the shaft so that
with a circular motion of your hand you twist the tie. The handle on
the 'hand tying tool' is pulled/pushed up and down over a spiralled
shaft, causing the shaft to spin and twist the tie.

You'll need the double loop wire ties for these tools.

Brian H

SgtMinor said:

> Serendipity wrote:
>>
>> A few moons ago I asked if anyone could point me in the
>> direction of a source (in the UK) that could provide a little device
>> for twist tying the tops of black plastic refuse bags.
>>
>> Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
>> the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
>>
>> The device is similar in appearance to the old style
>> pump screwdriver, but the rotation was exactly the
>> opposite in that thetwisting action turned in an anti-clockwise
>> direction.
>>
>> I was given an address, but upon following it up, I found
>> that it was a very professional "Packaging" company, helpful
>> as could be, but expensive. The device, and the 'twist' wires
>> which I had bought from an old fashioned Ironmonger a few
>> years ago had jumped in price from - if memory serves me
>> correctly - from under 3.00 to something approaching 40.00
>> which is beyond my means.
>>
>> So, the question is, does anyone know of one of these
>> devices at a more reasonable - to me - price?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your advice.

> To add to the previous responses, these ties and twisting tools are used
> in the construction industry for tying rebar prior to cement pouring.
> Take a look here for ties and twisters:
> http://www.icfaccessories.com/icf_to...wire_tools.htm
>
> The 'pig tail' tool has a handle that turns around the shaft so that
> with a circular motion of your hand you twist the tie. The handle on
> the 'hand tying tool' is pulled/pushed up and down over a spiralled
> shaft, causing the shaft to spin and twist the tie.
>
> You'll need the double loop wire ties for these tools.

I just grab the rubbish bags and throw them straight in the dustbin.
Doesn't cost me a penny to make my rubbish bags look pretty for the dustmen, not
that they care.

Sentient Fluid

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GWdhb.8833$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SgtMinor said:
>
> > Serendipity wrote:
> >>

> >> Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
> >> the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

> > To add to the previous responses, these ties and twisting tools are used
> > in the construction industry for tying rebar prior to cement pouring.
> > Take a look here for ties and twisters:
> > http://www.icfaccessories.com/icf_to...wire_tools.htm
> >
> > The 'pig tail' tool has a handle that turns around the shaft so that
> > with a circular motion of your hand you twist the tie. The handle on
> > the 'hand tying tool' is pulled/pushed up and down over a spiralled
> > shaft, causing the shaft to spin and twist the tie.
> >
> > You'll need the double loop wire ties for these tools.

> I just grab the rubbish bags and throw them straight in the dustbin.
> Doesn't cost me a penny to make my rubbish bags look pretty for the

dustmen, not
> that they care.

Perhaps the OP is using the bags for something else, though....?

SgtMinor

"Brian H" wrote:

> SgtMinor said:
>
> > Serendipity wrote:
> >>
> >> A few moons ago I asked if anyone could point me in the
> >> direction of a source (in the UK) that could provide a little device
> >> for twist tying the tops of black plastic refuse bags.
> >>
> >> Most of the answers were alternative ideas of solving
> >> the problem, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
> >>
> >> The device is similar in appearance to the old style
> >> pump screwdriver, but the rotation was exactly the
> >> opposite in that thetwisting action turned in an anti-clockwise
> >> direction.
> >>
> >> I was given an address, but upon following it up, I found
> >> that it was a very professional "Packaging" company, helpful
> >> as could be, but expensive. The device, and the 'twist' wires
> >> which I had bought from an old fashioned Ironmonger a few
> >> years ago had jumped in price from - if memory serves me
> >> correctly - from under 3.00 to something approaching 40.00
> >> which is beyond my means.
> >>
> >> So, the question is, does anyone know of one of these
> >> devices at a more reasonable - to me - price?
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance for your advice.

> > To add to the previous responses, these ties and twisting tools are used
> > in the construction industry for tying rebar prior to cement pouring.
> > Take a look here for ties and twisters:
> > http://www.icfaccessories.com/icf_to...wire_tools.htm
> >
> > The 'pig tail' tool has a handle that turns around the shaft so that
> > with a circular motion of your hand you twist the tie. The handle on
> > the 'hand tying tool' is pulled/pushed up and down over a spiralled
> > shaft, causing the shaft to spin and twist the tie.
> >
> > You'll need the double loop wire ties for these tools.

> I just grab the rubbish bags and throw them straight in the dustbin.
> Doesn't cost me a penny to make my rubbish bags look pretty for the dustmen, not
> that they care.

Dang, Brian, I had to go to the English to American language dictionary
to understand this. Let's see now, rubbish is trash, a dustbin is a
garbage can, and dustmen are waste disposal technicians. And while
researching occupational terms, I also noted that what we call a
vice-president is a senior clerk in Britain.

Brian H

SgtMinor said:

> "Brian H" wrote:
>>
>> SgtMinor said:

>>> To add to the previous responses, these ties and twisting tools are used
>>> in the construction industry for tying rebar prior to cement pouring.
>>> Take a look here for ties and twisters:
>>> http://www.icfaccessories.com/icf_to...wire_tools.htm
>>>
>>> The 'pig tail' tool has a handle that turns around the shaft so that
>>> with a circular motion of your hand you twist the tie. The handle on
>>> the 'hand tying tool' is pulled/pushed up and down over a spiralled
>>> shaft, causing the shaft to spin and twist the tie.
>>>
>>> You'll need the double loop wire ties for these tools.

>> I just grab the rubbish bags and throw them straight in the dustbin.
>> Doesn't cost me a penny to make my rubbish bags look pretty for the dustmen,
>> not that they care.

> Dang, Brian, I had to go to the English to American language dictionary
> to understand this. Let's see now, rubbish is trash, a dustbin is a
> garbage can, and dustmen are waste disposal technicians. And while
> researching occupational terms, I also noted that what we call a
> vice-president is a senior clerk in Britain.

Good job I didn't talk about lemon and lime zones

Bryan

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gKghb.8936$(E-Mail Removed)
> SgtMinor said:

>>> I just grab the rubbish bags and throw them straight in the dustbin.
>>> Doesn't cost me a penny to make my rubbish bags look pretty for the
>>> dustmen, not that they care.

>> Dang, Brian, I had to go to the English to American language
>> dictionary
>> to understand this. Let's see now, rubbish is trash, a dustbin is a
>> garbage can, and dustmen are waste disposal technicians. And while
>> researching occupational terms, I also noted that what we call a
>> vice-president is a senior clerk in Britain.

> Good job I didn't talk about lemon and lime zones

The geyzers in the cart come round our drum at the crack, and helpful? I
should cocoa! All you gotta do is butcher the bleeders wrongly and yer bins
a non-emptier for a fortnight!

(spanner - works)
lol

Brian H

Bryan said:

> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gKghb.8936$(E-Mail Removed)
>> SgtMinor said:

>>> Dang, Brian, I had to go to the English to American language
>>> dictionary
>>> to understand this. Let's see now, rubbish is trash, a dustbin is a
>>> garbage can, and dustmen are waste disposal technicians. And while
>>> researching occupational terms, I also noted that what we call a
>>> vice-president is a senior clerk in Britain.

>> Good job I didn't talk about lemon and lime zones

> The geyzers in the cart come round our drum at the crack, and helpful? I
> should cocoa! All you gotta do is butcher the bleeders wrongly and yer bins
> a non-emptier for a fortnight!
>
> (spanner - works)
> lol

I'm sorry, you missed me, am I too late?
Nah, jump up on the cart.

Where's me tigers 'ead?
(4 foot from it's tail)