Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unsafe Active X Control

Unsafe Active X Control

Sharon

I just tried to go to the Windows Update page to check for any new
updates and I got a pop up saying an ActiveX Control on the page is not
safe and my current controls prohibit loading unsafe controls. Then it
says that the page may not display properly. It sure doesn't. I then get
a messages saying that I must be logged on as administrator to access
the page. I am running Win 98Se, not XP!

Sharon

°Mike°

Close IE and clear your temporary internet files from
Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check
the box to include all offline content.

Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the
C:\Windows\WUTemp and C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp
folders. Empty them if they contain anything.

Go to the 'Downloaded Programs Files' folder, and find
the Microsoft update ActiveX class. It should be named
'Udate class', and if you right click and choose 'Properties',
it should point to:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...ansi/iuctl.CAB
Right click and choose 'Remove'.

Next, search your drive (Find / Files) for the following
two files, and delete them: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll .

Lastly, go to the C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4
folder and delete everything.

Now check that your internet zone in Control Panel / Internet
Options / Security is set to 'Default'.

Visit Windows Update again.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

IMPORTANT: You must disable your antivirus before visiting
Windows Update, otherwise the iuctl.dll file may not be
installed, or may be corrupted.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:20:32 -0700, in
<bm2gl7$hqgmr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Sharon scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Sharon

Thanks Mike! You saved me again! *G* I'm now back in business with
Windows Updates. One thing though...I never knew that I should disable
my antivirus before visiting Windows Updates. I feel kind of uneasy
doing that. Can it cause a problem with all antivirus programs or is it
just some? I use eTrust EZ Antivirus.

Sharon

°Mike° wrote:
> Close IE and clear your temporary internet files from
> Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check
> the box to include all offline content.
>
> Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the
> C:\Windows\WUTemp and C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp
> folders. Empty them if they contain anything.
>
> Go to the 'Downloaded Programs Files' folder, and find
> the Microsoft update ActiveX class. It should be named
> 'Udate class', and if you right click and choose 'Properties',
> it should point to:
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...ansi/iuctl.CAB
> Right click and choose 'Remove'.
>
> Next, search your drive (Find / Files) for the following
> two files, and delete them: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll .
>
> Lastly, go to the C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4
> folder and delete everything.
>
> Now check that your internet zone in Control Panel / Internet
> Options / Security is set to 'Default'.
>
> Visit Windows Update again.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
>
> IMPORTANT: You must disable your antivirus before visiting
> Windows Update, otherwise the iuctl.dll file may not be
> installed, or may be corrupted.
>

> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:20:32 -0700, in
> <bm2gl7$hqgmr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> Sharon scrawled:
>
>>I just tried to go to the Windows Update page to check for any new
>>updates and I got a pop up saying an ActiveX Control on the page is not
>>safe and my current controls prohibit loading unsafe controls. Then it
>>says that the page may not display properly. It sure doesn't. I then get
>>a messages saying that I must be logged on as administrator to access
>>the page. I am running Win 98Se, not XP!
>>
>>Sharon

°Mike°

Great. You're welcome.

I cannot say for certain that *all* antivirus programs have
this effect, but I suspect that may be the case. It's not
a problem, provided you go to Windows Update directly;
in other words, make an internet shortcut (favorites) to
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
and ONLY visit by that shortcut. Don't browse anywhere
else, or use email/messenger/icq etc. whilst performing
an update. Once update is complete, you can re-enable
your antivirus.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:50:01 -0700, in
<bm2lt0$i0ahj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Sharon scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance