Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Task Scheduler password problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows Task Scheduler password problem

 
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2003
I configured the Windows Task Scheduler to run a program automatically at
startup. However, it doesn't run. Instead, the Task Scheduler says that
"The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
enetered." (OK, the Task Scheduler Wizard did say that programs might not
run without a password.) So I re-did the Task Scheduler and added a
password. The program still didn't run and I got a message saying it did
not run because the password enetered was incorrect.

This is my home laptop, I am the administrator, I don't use passwords to log
on, so what password is it looking for? And can I bypass the password
feature and still get the Task Scheduler to execute the program? Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2003
Windows XP cannot run a scheduled task configured
with a null password?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4400/rh4456.htm

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=308558


On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:12:46 GMT, in
<iC2hb.60897$(E-Mail Removed)>
David scrawled:

>I configured the Windows Task Scheduler to run a program automatically at
>startup. However, it doesn't run. Instead, the Task Scheduler says that
>"The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
>enetered." (OK, the Task Scheduler Wizard did say that programs might not
>run without a password.) So I re-did the Task Scheduler and added a
>password. The program still didn't run and I got a message saying it did
>not run because the password enetered was incorrect.
>
>This is my home laptop, I am the administrator, I don't use passwords to log
>on, so what password is it looking for? And can I bypass the password
>feature and still get the Task Scheduler to execute the program? Thanks.
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2003
Hi Mike. I went to the web pages you suggest, and they say a password is
required for security reasons in XP. (Even though the Help page in Task
Scheduler says a password isn't always required.) Neverthess, I reran the
task wizard in Task Scheduler and entered a new password. I also typed that
password in the Task Scheduler Properties box. When I rebooted, the same
error message appeared telling me the password I entered was incorrect.

I have no idea what password it's looking for, since I don't use a password
for anything in Windows XP. I must be doing something wrong, but darned if
I can think of what it is....

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows XP cannot run a scheduled task configured
> with a null password?
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4400/rh4456.htm
>
> HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=308558
>
>
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:12:46 GMT, in
> <iC2hb.60897$(E-Mail Removed)>
> David scrawled:
>
> >I configured the Windows Task Scheduler to run a program automatically at
> >startup. However, it doesn't run. Instead, the Task Scheduler says that
> >"The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
> >enetered." (OK, the Task Scheduler Wizard did say that programs might

not
> >run without a password.) So I re-did the Task Scheduler and added a
> >password. The program still didn't run and I got a message saying it did
> >not run because the password enetered was incorrect.
> >
> >This is my home laptop, I am the administrator, I don't use passwords to

log
> >on, so what password is it looking for? And can I bypass the password
> >feature and still get the Task Scheduler to execute the program? Thanks.
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2003
I'm not familiar with XP, but you say you don't use a
password for anything, yet the article says you must.

Follow the troubleshooting steps in the second link.


On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:51:57 GMT, in
<1b3hb.60928$(E-Mail Removed)>
David scrawled:

>Hi Mike. I went to the web pages you suggest, and they say a password is
>required for security reasons in XP. (Even though the Help page in Task
>Scheduler says a password isn't always required.) Neverthess, I reran the
>task wizard in Task Scheduler and entered a new password. I also typed that
>password in the Task Scheduler Properties box. When I rebooted, the same
>error message appeared telling me the password I entered was incorrect.
>
>I have no idea what password it's looking for, since I don't use a password
>for anything in Windows XP. I must be doing something wrong, but darned if
>I can think of what it is....
>
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows XP cannot run a scheduled task configured
>> with a null password?
>> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4400/rh4456.htm
>>
>> HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=308558
>>
>>
>> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:12:46 GMT, in
>> <iC2hb.60897$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> David scrawled:
>>
>> >I configured the Windows Task Scheduler to run a program automatically at
>> >startup. However, it doesn't run. Instead, the Task Scheduler says that
>> >"The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
>> >enetered." (OK, the Task Scheduler Wizard did say that programs might

>not
>> >run without a password.) So I re-did the Task Scheduler and added a
>> >password. The program still didn't run and I got a message saying it did
>> >not run because the password enetered was incorrect.
>> >
>> >This is my home laptop, I am the administrator, I don't use passwords to

>log
>> >on, so what password is it looking for? And can I bypass the password
>> >feature and still get the Task Scheduler to execute the program? Thanks.
>> >

>>
>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance
>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy Dean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2003
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:12:46 GMT, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I configured the Windows Task Scheduler to run a program automatically at
>startup. However, it doesn't run. Instead, the Task Scheduler says that
>"The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
>enetered." (OK, the Task Scheduler Wizard did say that programs might not
>run without a password.) So I re-did the Task Scheduler and added a
>password. The program still didn't run and I got a message saying it did
>not run because the password enetered was incorrect.
>
>This is my home laptop, I am the administrator, I don't use passwords to log
>on, so what password is it looking for? And can I bypass the password
>feature and still get the Task Scheduler to execute the program? Thanks.


Hi David

I also had this problem.

I had 2 scheduled tasks without username/passwords which ran quite
happily for a time, then something happened and I got the same error
you describe.

One way to solve it was to enter a password for the current user (in
Control Panel, user accounts) - nuisance if you don't want to enter a
password, then enter this user/password combo in scheduled tasks.

I also managed to delete the task, then recreate it again with no
user/password, and get it to run. This was a bit tricky and I'm not
quite sure how I did it.

jd
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian H¹©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2003
Jimmy Dean said:

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:12:46 GMT, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I configured the Windows Task Scheduler to run a program automatically at
>> startup. However, it doesn't run. Instead, the Task Scheduler says that
>> "The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
>> enetered." (OK, the Task Scheduler Wizard did say that programs might not
>> run without a password.) So I re-did the Task Scheduler and added a
>> password. The program still didn't run and I got a message saying it did
>> not run because the password enetered was incorrect.
>>
>> This is my home laptop, I am the administrator, I don't use passwords to log
>> on, so what password is it looking for? And can I bypass the password
>> feature and still get the Task Scheduler to execute the program? Thanks.

>
> Hi David
>
> I also had this problem.
>
> I had 2 scheduled tasks without username/passwords which ran quite
> happily for a time, then something happened and I got the same error
> you describe.
>
> One way to solve it was to enter a password for the current user (in
> Control Panel, user accounts) - nuisance if you don't want to enter a
> password, then enter this user/password combo in scheduled tasks.
>
> I also managed to delete the task, then recreate it again with no
> user/password, and get it to run. This was a bit tricky and I'm not
> quite sure how I did it.
>
> jd


Excuse piggy-back, can't see OP.

After some system changes, permissions get changed to "Jobs" run in Scheduled
Tasks.
The simplest way of getting the jobs to activate again, is to:-
Right click the task and choose Properties.
Click on the Settings tab.
Select and then deselect any one of the boxes and click Apply then OK.
Your task should now Run normally again.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian H¹©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2003
Brian H¹© said:

> Jimmy Dean said:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:12:46 GMT, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I configured the Windows Task Scheduler to run a program automatically at
>>> startup. However, it doesn't run. Instead, the Task Scheduler says that
>>> "The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
>>> enetered." (OK, the Task Scheduler Wizard did say that programs might not
>>> run without a password.) So I re-did the Task Scheduler and added a
>>> password. The program still didn't run and I got a message saying it did
>>> not run because the password enetered was incorrect.
>>>
>>> This is my home laptop, I am the administrator, I don't use passwords to log
>>> on, so what password is it looking for? And can I bypass the password
>>> feature and still get the Task Scheduler to execute the program? Thanks.

>>
>> Hi David
>>
>> I also had this problem.
>>
>> I had 2 scheduled tasks without username/passwords which ran quite
>> happily for a time, then something happened and I got the same error
>> you describe.
>>
>> One way to solve it was to enter a password for the current user (in
>> Control Panel, user accounts) - nuisance if you don't want to enter a
>> password, then enter this user/password combo in scheduled tasks.
>>
>> I also managed to delete the task, then recreate it again with no
>> user/password, and get it to run. This was a bit tricky and I'm not
>> quite sure how I did it.
>>
>> jd

>
> Excuse piggy-back, can't see OP.
>
> After some system changes, permissions get changed to "Jobs" run in Scheduled
> Tasks.
> The simplest way of getting the jobs to activate again, is to:-
> Right click the task and choose Properties.
> Click on the Settings tab.
> Select and then deselect any one of the boxes and click Apply then OK.
> Your task should now Run normally again.


You may find it necessary to select a box, click apply, deselect that box and
then click apply again before OK.


 
Reply With Quote
 
buddymags buddymags is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
 
      01-22-2009
If you don't have a password created in control panel, user accounts, Computer Administrator, create one. Don't worry we'll work around it in a minute.

Schedule your task, leave the default username of %COMPUTERNAME%/Compaq_Administrator in the username field. In the paswword field, enter the password you created in user accounts.

The task should run, but wait, now you have to type in a password every time you restart the computer!! That sucks!!

Here is the workaround. It's call autologin, it takes some registry editing but don't worry it's a piece of cake!! Read this, it only takes a couple of minutes and it enters the logon password for you.

You can use Registry Editor to add your log on information. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry, type your user name, and then click OK.
Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password under the value data box, and then click OK.

If there is no DefaultPassword value, create the value. To do this, follow these steps:
In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
Type DefaultPassword as the value name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the newly created key, and then type your password in the Value Data box.
If no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows XP automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon registry key from 1 (true) to 0 (false) to turn off the AutoAdminLogon feature.
Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry, type 1 in the Value Data box, and then click OK.

If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, create the entry. To do this, follow these steps:
In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
Type AutoAdminLogon as the value name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the newly created key, and then type 1 in the Value Data box.
Quit Registry Editor.
Click Start, click Restart, and then click OK.
After your computer restarts and Windows XP starts, you can log on automatically.

If you want to bypass the automatic logon to log on as a different user, hold down the SHIFT key after you log off or after Windows XP restarts. Note that this procedure applies only to the first logon. To enforce this setting for future logoffs, the administrator must set the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value:ForceAutoLogon
Type: REG_SZ
Data: 1
You can also use turn on automatic logon without editing the registry in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional on a computer that is not joined to a domain. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.

Note When users try to display help information in the User Accounts window in Windows XP Home Edition, the help information is not displayed. Additionally, users receive the following error message:
Cannot find the Drive:\Windows\System32\users.hlp Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your hard disk drive. If it does not exist, you must reinstall it.
Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Info supplied from
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
 
Reply With Quote
 
rk_garg rk_garg is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
 
      02-10-2009
Click on RUN tab
select "Run only if logged ON"
Apply
Now you are OK. No need to enter password.
 
Reply With Quote
 
babyoxide babyoxide is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
 
      11-10-2009
er i run into the same problem only few minutes later i found a solution to it

under the properties of the task ... click / tick the option RUN ONLY when log on ... this removes the need for the password...

if u nvr had a password even as admin, you gonna be logged on anyway so it works perfectly fine..
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dotnet scheduler like the Windows "Schedued Tasks" scheduler? Codemonkey ASP .Net 8 06-10-2011 10:53 AM
Windows 7 Professional Backup Utility and Task Scheduler Richard Windows 64bit 10 12-07-2009 04:28 AM
How to grant ASPNET user access to task scheduler on Windows 2003? Derek ASP General 0 01-05-2004 04:23 PM
Windows Task Scheduler David Computer Support 0 10-07-2003 02:06 AM
windows xp home edition task scheduler problems rtdos \(status@rtdos.info\) Computer Support 0 07-15-2003 04:07 AM



Advertisments