Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Lost Video & Monitor Capabilities

Lost Video & Monitor Capabilities

Herb

Problem Summary:
Platform: Windows 98 - no wisecracks, please
Relevant Hardware:
ATI All-In-Wonder Pro AGP 2X
ViewSonic PS790 Monitor
System won't recognize monitor or capabilities of Video Card / Monitor
combo.

History:
Everything was working fine, except the DVD-rom drive wouldn't read
DVD's (CD's ok). I 'deleted' the drive hoping that the system would find
it and re-install it (that part worked). BUT when I rebooted I got
messages to the effect that "your display adapter settings are not
compatible" and everything went to 640x480x16.

What I've done:
In various sequences, frequencies, and combinations:
Restored the registry to a week before anything went south.
Re-installed current video card and monitor drivers
Deleted both devices from device manager
Tried changing display properties and changing the monitor in Display
Properties / Settings / Advanced.
Googled every word combination I could think of.

What happens:
Regardless of what I do, the system insists on installing an "unknown
monitor" either in addition to or instead of the PS7900; Depending on
what was done last, a reboot results in the "bad display settings"
message.

Sometimes gets a message, "Setup could not find a file on the specified
path. If the path appears below [it doesn't] verify it or change. It's
looking to copy a file to Windows/INF/monitor.cat. (This file IS there
and available)

Other than this ugly 640x480 16-color, everything else is working fine

At this moment, Device Mgr. shows the PS790 (no "unknown monitor") and
ATI card, both with drivers, but changes past 640x480 are not accepted.

I'm at my wit's end over this ... any hints or suggestions would be
appreciated. If you want any more detail, just ask. Thank you.

- Herb

°Mike°

Have you reinstalled, udated DirectX?
http://www.microsoft.com/directx/

What about checking your RAM?
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:41:41 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Herb scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Herb

Thank you for the response.

My Directx.log shows that DirectX was last updated on 22 August. I
believe that it was to DirectX v.9.

I haven't specifically checked the ram - I did run the ATI diagnostics,
all of which showed no problems. (And it was all running flawlessly
until I started poking around .... )

- Herb

"°Mike°" wrote:

> Have you reinstalled, udated DirectX?
> http://www.microsoft.com/directx/
>
> What about checking your RAM?
> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
>
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:41:41 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Herb scrawled:
>
> >Problem Summary:
> > Platform: Windows 98 - no wisecracks, please
> > Relevant Hardware:
> > ATI All-In-Wonder Pro AGP 2X
> > ViewSonic PS790 Monitor
> > System won't recognize monitor or capabilities of Video Card / Monitor
> >combo.
> >
> >History:
> > Everything was working fine, except the DVD-rom drive wouldn't read
> >DVD's (CD's ok). I 'deleted' the drive hoping that the system would find
> >it and re-install it (that part worked). BUT when I rebooted I got
> >messages to the effect that "your display adapter settings are not
> >compatible" and everything went to 640x480x16.
> >
> >What I've done:
> >In various sequences, frequencies, and combinations:
> >Restored the registry to a week before anything went south.
> >Re-installed current video card and monitor drivers
> >Deleted both devices from device manager
> >Tried changing display properties and changing the monitor in Display
> >Properties / Settings / Advanced.
> >Googled every word combination I could think of.
> >

> >What happens:
> >Regardless of what I do, the system insists on installing an "unknown
> >monitor" either in addition to or instead of the PS7900; Depending on
> >what was done last, a reboot results in the "bad display settings"
> >message.
> >
> >Sometimes gets a message, "Setup could not find a file on the specified
> >path. If the path appears below [it doesn't] verify it or change. It's
> >looking to copy a file to Windows/INF/monitor.cat. (This file IS there
> >and available)
> >
> >Other than this ugly 640x480 16-color, everything else is working fine
> >
> >At this moment, Device Mgr. shows the PS790 (no "unknown monitor") and
> >ATI card, both with drivers, but changes past 640x480 are not accepted.
> >
> >I'm at my wit's end over this ... any hints or suggestions would be
> >appreciated. If you want any more detail, just ask. Thank you.
> >
> > - Herb

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Re-install DirectX.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:58 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Herb scrawled:

>Thank you for the response.
>
>My Directx.log shows that DirectX was last updated on 22 August. I
>believe that it was to DirectX v.9.
>
>I haven't specifically checked the ram - I did run the ATI diagnostics,
>all of which showed no problems. (And it was all running flawlessly
>until I started poking around .... )
>
> - Herb
>
>"°Mike°" wrote:
>>
>> Have you reinstalled, udated DirectX?
>> http://www.microsoft.com/directx/
>>
>> What about checking your RAM?
>> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
>>
>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:41:41 GMT, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Herb scrawled:
>>
>> >Problem Summary:
>> > Platform: Windows 98 - no wisecracks, please
>> > Relevant Hardware:
>> > ATI All-In-Wonder Pro AGP 2X
>> > ViewSonic PS790 Monitor
>> > System won't recognize monitor or capabilities of Video Card / Monitor
>> >combo.
>> >
>> >History:
>> > Everything was working fine, except the DVD-rom drive wouldn't read
>> >DVD's (CD's ok). I 'deleted' the drive hoping that the system would find
>> >it and re-install it (that part worked). BUT when I rebooted I got
>> >messages to the effect that "your display adapter settings are not
>> >compatible" and everything went to 640x480x16.
>> >
>> >What I've done:
>> >In various sequences, frequencies, and combinations:
>> >Restored the registry to a week before anything went south.
>> >Re-installed current video card and monitor drivers
>> >Deleted both devices from device manager
>> >Tried changing display properties and changing the monitor in Display
>> >Properties / Settings / Advanced.
>> >Googled every word combination I could think of.
>> >

>> >What happens:
>> >Regardless of what I do, the system insists on installing an "unknown
>> >monitor" either in addition to or instead of the PS7900; Depending on
>> >what was done last, a reboot results in the "bad display settings"
>> >message.
>> >
>> >Sometimes gets a message, "Setup could not find a file on the specified
>> >path. If the path appears below [it doesn't] verify it or change. It's
>> >looking to copy a file to Windows/INF/monitor.cat. (This file IS there
>> >and available)
>> >
>> >Other than this ugly 640x480 16-color, everything else is working fine
>> >
>> >At this moment, Device Mgr. shows the PS790 (no "unknown monitor") and
>> >ATI card, both with drivers, but changes past 640x480 are not accepted.
>> >
>> >I'm at my wit's end over this ... any hints or suggestions would be
>> >appreciated. If you want any more detail, just ask. Thank you.
>> >
>> > - Herb

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Herb

Will do ASAP, and will let you know the result. Here i go ...

- Herb

"°Mike°" wrote:

> Re-install DirectX.
>
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:58 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Herb scrawled:
>
> >Thank you for the response.
> >
> >My Directx.log shows that DirectX was last updated on 22 August. I
> >believe that it was to DirectX v.9.
> >
> >I haven't specifically checked the ram - I did run the ATI diagnostics,
> >all of which showed no problems. (And it was all running flawlessly
> >until I started poking around .... )
> >
> > - Herb
> >
> >"°Mike°" wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you reinstalled, udated DirectX?
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/directx/
> >>
> >> What about checking your RAM?
> >> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
> >>
> >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:41:41 GMT, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Herb scrawled:

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

Herb

I re-installed Directx9.0b, and ...
No change.

The actual messages received as Windows loads are:

"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is
incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware. /OK"

It then opens to the display properties settings, with options to
cancel, ok, and apply. Anything other than "cancel" results in the
following msg. (Cancel bypasses the message, but otherwise the results
are the same - the next re-boot brings it back to the same place.)

"At this time, display properties settings are limited to trouble
shooting changes only. The next time you restart your system the display
will be set to 640x480x16 color mode, custom refresh rates will be
removed, and any secondary displays will be disabled. After you have
restarted successfully, you will be able to change your driver or make
other settings changes. Choosing not to continue will retain your
original display settings.

Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes / No)"

No is the same as pressing Cancel on the previous msg; Yes asks to
restart right then and there to apply the settings (even the 640x480);
whatever is done, the restart results in message one, above.

- Herb

"°Mike°" wrote:

> Re-install DirectX.
>
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:58 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Herb scrawled:
>
> >Thank you for the response.
> >
> >My Directx.log shows that DirectX was last updated on 22 August. I
> >believe that it was to DirectX v.9.
> >
> >I haven't specifically checked the ram - I did run the ATI diagnostics,
> >all of which showed no problems. (And it was all running flawlessly
> >until I started poking around .... )
> >
> > - Herb
> >
> >"°Mike°" wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you reinstalled, udated DirectX?
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/directx/
> >>
> >> What about checking your RAM?
> >> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
> >>
> >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:41:41 GMT, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Herb scrawled:

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Ok, boot into Safe Mode (hold the CTRL key at bootup) and
remove ALL display adapters/monitors from Device Manager.
Ignore any warnings and reboot. Have your Windows CD
or drivers CD handy, as Windows may require them when it
re-detects the devices.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:39:37 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Herb scrawled:

>I re-installed Directx9.0b, and ...
>No change.
>
>The actual messages received as Windows loads are:
>
>"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is
>incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware. /OK"
>
>It then opens to the display properties settings, with options to
>cancel, ok, and apply. Anything other than "cancel" results in the
>following msg. (Cancel bypasses the message, but otherwise the results
>are the same - the next re-boot brings it back to the same place.)
>
>"At this time, display properties settings are limited to trouble
>shooting changes only. The next time you restart your system the display
>will be set to 640x480x16 color mode, custom refresh rates will be
>removed, and any secondary displays will be disabled. After you have
>restarted successfully, you will be able to change your driver or make
>other settings changes. Choosing not to continue will retain your
>original display settings.
>
>Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes / No)"
>
>No is the same as pressing Cancel on the previous msg; Yes asks to
>restart right then and there to apply the settings (even the 640x480);
>whatever is done, the restart results in message one, above.
>
> - Herb
>

>"°Mike°" wrote:
>>
>> Re-install DirectX.
>>
>> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:58 GMT, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Herb scrawled:
>>
>> >Thank you for the response.
>> >
>> >My Directx.log shows that DirectX was last updated on 22 August. I
>> >believe that it was to DirectX v.9.
>> >
>> >I haven't specifically checked the ram - I did run the ATI diagnostics,
>> >all of which showed no problems. (And it was all running flawlessly
>> >until I started poking around .... )
>> >
>> > - Herb

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Herb

I thought I did that as one of my first attempts to recover - but I'll
do it again now -- THANK YOU for your help and following this so
closely!
-Herb

"°Mike°" wrote:

> Ok, boot into Safe Mode (hold the CTRL key at bootup) and
> remove ALL display adapters/monitors from Device Manager.
> Ignore any warnings and reboot. Have your Windows CD
> or drivers CD handy, as Windows may require them when it
> re-detects the devices.
>
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:39:37 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Herb scrawled:
>
> >I re-installed Directx9.0b, and ...
> >No change.
> >
> >The actual messages received as Windows loads are:
> >
> >"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is
> >incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware. /OK"
> >
> >It then opens to the display properties settings, with options to
> >cancel, ok, and apply. Anything other than "cancel" results in the
> >following msg. (Cancel bypasses the message, but otherwise the results
> >are the same - the next re-boot brings it back to the same place.)
> >
> >"At this time, display properties settings are limited to trouble
> >shooting changes only. The next time you restart your system the display
> >will be set to 640x480x16 color mode, custom refresh rates will be
> >removed, and any secondary displays will be disabled. After you have
> >restarted successfully, you will be able to change your driver or make
> >other settings changes. Choosing not to continue will retain your
> >original display settings.
> >
> >Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes / No)"
> >
> >No is the same as pressing Cancel on the previous msg; Yes asks to
> >restart right then and there to apply the settings (even the 640x480);
> >whatever is done, the restart results in message one, above.
> >
> > - Herb
> >

> >"°Mike°" wrote:
> >>
> >> Re-install DirectX.
> >>
> >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:58 GMT, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Herb scrawled:

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

Herb

Well, the symptom is resolved, but the base problem remains.
After removing the display adapter and monitors, they were automatically
re-created with no substantive improvement. The system will not detect
the Viewsonic PS790 monitor, and insists on installing as an unknown
monitor.

What I did was to re-download and install a complete driver and
application set from ATI (slightly different than the ones I had been
using. That finally gave back all the display options - and with a
little manual tweaking of refresh rates, it's working satisfactorily,
even if not quite according to Hoyle.

Thank you again for your help and patience.

- Herb

"°Mike°" wrote:

> Ok, boot into Safe Mode (hold the CTRL key at bootup) and
> remove ALL display adapters/monitors from Device Manager.
> Ignore any warnings and reboot. Have your Windows CD
> or drivers CD handy, as Windows may require them when it
> re-detects the devices.
>
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:39:37 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Herb scrawled:
>
> >I re-installed Directx9.0b, and ...
> >No change.
> >
> >The actual messages received as Windows loads are:
> >
> >"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is
> >incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware. /OK"
> >
> >It then opens to the display properties settings, with options to
> >cancel, ok, and apply. Anything other than "cancel" results in the
> >following msg. (Cancel bypasses the message, but otherwise the results
> >are the same - the next re-boot brings it back to the same place.)
> >
> >"At this time, display properties settings are limited to trouble
> >shooting changes only. The next time you restart your system the display
> >will be set to 640x480x16 color mode, custom refresh rates will be
> >removed, and any secondary displays will be disabled. After you have
> >restarted successfully, you will be able to change your driver or make
> >other settings changes. Choosing not to continue will retain your
> >original display settings.
> >
> >Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes / No)"
> >
> >No is the same as pressing Cancel on the previous msg; Yes asks to
> >restart right then and there to apply the settings (even the 640x480);
> >whatever is done, the restart results in message one, above.
> >
> > - Herb
> >

> >"°Mike°" wrote:
> >>
> >> Re-install DirectX.
> >>
> >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:34:58 GMT, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Herb scrawled:

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

The only other thing I can suggest is going through the same
procedure, but this time delete the following two files from
Safe Mode first:
C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVDATA.BIN
C:\WINDOWS\INF\DRVIDX.BIN

These are Windows' driver database files - they are rebuilt
whenever needed. Either that, or a clean re-install.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 03:44:11 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Herb scrawled: