Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer has become ridiculously slow!

Computer has become ridiculously slow!

Stephanie

Hi, I have a Dell OptiPlex GXi Pentium I with 233 MHz, a 3 GB HD, and 160 MB
RAM. I run Windows 98SE and IE 5.5. I have a cable Internet connection
(Comcast).

In the past month, it has taken me 15-60 seconds to download Internet pages,
even for super lightweight sites that are cached! It used to be super fast,
since I had cable. This started happening when my HD ballooned to 2.9 GB
(only 100 MB free). Other operations, such as email, word processing, FTP,
etc., appear to be unaffected.

So I cleared space on my HD, and now have 1.7 GB free. I successfully did a
disk cleanup, scan disk, and defragment a few days ago. I ran Lavasoft
Ad-Aware 6.0 to clear spyware. I emptied my recycling bin. I clear my cache
and history 3-4X per day. My cookies are clear.

Nevertheless, my computer is still slow as ever! I noticed the more windows
I have open, the slower it gets. Every day or so, I have to restart (or my
computer crashes, and restarts itself automatically), in order to increase
speed again. But even so, it is still slower than it should be. It never
used to be this way. I used to be able to have tons of windows open
simultaneously

Also: my Win386.swp file has ballooned now from 30 MB to 139 MB. I don't
know if this matters. I don't want to lower it, since Windows gives me a
warning that if I do that, I may not be able to restart my computer. Plus, I
forgot how to do this anyway.

I don't know what us going on. Any advice?? Time for a new computer?

Thanks!

Stephanie

Stephanie

"Stephanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

also: when I try to cut and paste with too many windows open, the screen
jumps up and down, and won't let me cut/copy the text. very annoying.

Harrison

Stephanie,
It sounds as if you've done all the right things, but are still having
trouble.

Please try the following:

Change the swap file to 2.5 times memory - Right click My
Computer>Properties>Performance Tab>Virtual Memory>Let me specify my
own virtual memory settings
Reboot

Change the role of the machine -
Right-click My Computer and choose Properties > Performance > File
System. There you'll find that the Typical role is usually "Desktop
Computer." If your PC has more than 32MB of RAM it'll operate slightly
faster if you select "Network Server," even if it isn't really a
server. (The Network Server setting uses a little more RAM for various
disk buffers and caches to speed disk operations.) For most systems
with abundant RAM, it makes sense to choose this server setting.

Reset your cable modem.

Download, install, update, and run Spybot Search and Destroy -
http://security.kolla.de/

Download, install, and run HijackThis
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
and post your results back to this forum under a new title, "My
HijackThis results. Be sure to hear back from Brian H, Mike, or myself
before making any changes.

One other thing you didn't mention was whether or not you have run a
virus scan? If you haven't, please do so immediately. You can get a
good free antivirus program at http://www.grisoft.com.

Also, connect to Windows update and install all critical updates.

Get back to us soon with results or follow up questions and issues.

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 03:51:35 -0400, "Stephanie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I have a Dell OptiPlex GXi Pentium I with 233 MHz, a 3 GB HD, and 160 MB
>RAM. I run Windows 98SE and IE 5.5. I have a cable Internet connection
>(Comcast).
>
>In the past month, it has taken me 15-60 seconds to download Internet pages,
>even for super lightweight sites that are cached! It used to be super fast,
>since I had cable. This started happening when my HD ballooned to 2.9 GB
>(only 100 MB free). Other operations, such as email, word processing, FTP,
>etc., appear to be unaffected.
>
>So I cleared space on my HD, and now have 1.7 GB free. I successfully did a
>disk cleanup, scan disk, and defragment a few days ago. I ran Lavasoft
>Ad-Aware 6.0 to clear spyware. I emptied my recycling bin. I clear my cache
>and history 3-4X per day. My cookies are clear.
>
>Nevertheless, my computer is still slow as ever! I noticed the more windows
>I have open, the slower it gets. Every day or so, I have to restart (or my
>computer crashes, and restarts itself automatically), in order to increase
>speed again. But even so, it is still slower than it should be. It never
>used to be this way. I used to be able to have tons of windows open
>simultaneously
>
>Also: my Win386.swp file has ballooned now from 30 MB to 139 MB. I don't
>know if this matters. I don't want to lower it, since Windows gives me a
>warning that if I do that, I may not be able to restart my computer. Plus, I
>forgot how to do this anyway.
>
>I don't know what us going on. Any advice?? Time for a new computer?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Stephanie

Buffalo

"Stephanie" <> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have a Dell OptiPlex GXi Pentium I with 233 MHz, a 3 GB HD, and 160

MB
> RAM. I run Windows 98SE and IE 5.5. I have a cable Internet connection
> (Comcast).
>
> In the past month, it has taken me 15-60 seconds to download Internet

pages,
> even for super lightweight sites that are cached! It used to be super

fast,
> since I had cable. This started happening when my HD ballooned to 2.9 GB
> (only 100 MB free). Other operations, such as email, word processing, FTP,
> etc., appear to be unaffected.
>
> So I cleared space on my HD, and now have 1.7 GB free. I successfully did

> disk cleanup, scan disk, and defragment a few days ago. I ran Lavasoft
> Ad-Aware 6.0 to clear spyware. I emptied my recycling bin. I clear my

cache
> and history 3-4X per day. My cookies are clear.
>
> Nevertheless, my computer is still slow as ever! I noticed the more

windows
> I have open, the slower it gets. Every day or so, I have to restart (or my
> computer crashes, and restarts itself automatically), in order to increase
> speed again. But even so, it is still slower than it should be. It never
> used to be this way. I used to be able to have tons of windows open
> simultaneously
>
> Also: my Win386.swp file has ballooned now from 30 MB to 139 MB. I don't
> know if this matters. I don't want to lower it, since Windows gives me a
> warning that if I do that, I may not be able to restart my computer. Plus,

> forgot how to do this anyway.
>
> I don't know what us going on. Any advice?? Time for a new computer?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Stephanie

This excerpt is from a Post by Jim Eshelman:

"But the good news is that there are several things you can do to get the
best out of what you have. I have a series of optimization articles that
might be a good start. May I recommend these?

Computer Health
http://aumha.org/win4/a/health.htm

Win98 & Win ME Memory Management
http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

Startup Program Loading
http://aumha.org/win4/a/loads.htm

Partition Planning
http://aumha.org/win4/a/parts.htm

Do You Have Parasites?
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm

System Resources FAQ
http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

The trick is to find the exact bottlenecks for the particular
activities you are attempting -- the points that slow down the exact thing
you want to speed up.

Jim Eshelman
MS-MVP, Windows Shell/User
http://aumha.org/
http://WinSupportCenter.com/ "

Hope this helps,
Buffalo

Buffalo

"Harrison" <> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stephanie, [snip]
>
> Change the swap file to 2.5 times memory - Right click My
> Computer>Properties>Performance Tab>Virtual Memory>Let me specify my
> own virtual memory settings
> Reboot[snip]

Are you suggesting that she should set the upper limit to 2.5 times physical
memory, lower limit , or both?

Harrison

Both. Setting the swap to one size prevents Windows from constantly
resizing it.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:04:04 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada>
wrote:

>"Harrison" <> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Stephanie, [snip]
>>
>> Change the swap file to 2.5 times memory - Right click My
>> Computer>Properties>Performance Tab>Virtual Memory>Let me specify my
>> own virtual memory settings
>> Reboot[snip]
>>

>Are you suggesting that she should set the upper limit to 2.5 times physical
>memory, lower limit , or both?

Buffalo

"Harrison" <> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Both. Setting the swap to one size prevents Windows from constantly
> resizing it.
>
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:04:04 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada>
> wrote:
>

> >"Harrison" <> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Stephanie, [snip]
> >>
> >> Change the swap file to 2.5 times memory - Right click My
> >> Computer>Properties>Performance Tab>Virtual Memory>Let me specify my
> >> own virtual memory settings
> >> Reboot[snip]
> >>

> >Are you suggesting that she should set the upper limit to 2.5 times

physical
> >memory, lower limit , or both?

Normally, setting an upper limit in Win98 is not a very good idea.
Setting a lower limit to an amount just above what you use during heavy
usage is sometimes handy to cut down on defragmentation of the Swapfile, but
settting an upper limit can cause problems.
This is a pretty informative link:
http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

°Mike°

Bad advice for a 9x system.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:34:01 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Harrison scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

It is more than likely due to the myriad of applications and
windows your have installed/running/open. Clean up and
streamline your startups. Add more memory, do NOT
restrict your swap file - that will more than likely make
things even worse.

Basic computer maintenance

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 03:51:35 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>