Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from Full XP Pro cd?

Upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from Full XP Pro cd?

Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from a FULL XP Pro cd? I have a client
who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP that much and I have
really no clue if this can be done or not. Does anyone know?

Chris

Boomer

V wrote:

> Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from a FULL XP Pro cd? I have
> a client who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP
> that much and I have really no clue if this can be done or not.
> Does anyone know?
>

> Chris

Hi

Microsoft KB 316941 - HOW TO: Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941
and KB 286463

Or
Search MS Knowledge Base
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Or use MS Google search
http://www.google.com/microsoft.html

Or usenet archives

Or a Windows newsgroup.

HTH

> > Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from a FULL XP Pro cd? I have
> > a client who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP
> > that much and I have really no clue if this can be done or not.
> > Does anyone know?
> >

> > Chris

> Hi
>
> Microsoft KB 316941 - HOW TO: Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

Upgrading to Windows XP
This section describes an upgrade to Windows XP from Microsoft Windows 98,
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), and Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional

That doesn't help me with my question.

> and KB 286463

During an upgrade, the Windows XP Setup Wizard replaces existing Windows
files but preserves your existing settings and applications. Some
applications might not be compatible with Windows XP Professional and
therefore might not function properly after an upgrade. You can upgrade to
Windows XP Professional from the following operating systems:

* Windows 98 (all versions)
* Windows Millennium Edition
* Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (Service Pack 6 and later)
* Windows 2000 Professional (including service packs)
* Windows XP Home Edition

That answers my question.

Was just a simple question, and I've allready done a quick search via google
for the answer. If I had all day to play around I could find it, but when
you are busy its easier to ask. Usually I get nice answers from this ng.

Ron Martell

"V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro from a FULL XP Pro cd? I have a client
>who wants this done, and I really don't work with XP that much and I have
>really no clue if this can be done or not. Does anyone know?

A Retail Full Install version of Windows XP Pro (twice the price of a
Retail Upgrade Version) will do an upgrade of Windows XP Home. It is
just a very expensive way of doing it. Far better to sell the Retail
Full Install version or save it for some other computer that has no
existing Windows license and purchase the Retail Upgrade version of XP
Pro.

An OEM version of Windows XP Pro (which is sometimes also referred to
as a full install version) will not repeat not do an upgrade of
anything. Period.

OEM versions are intended for use on new computer systems and
therefore will not upgrade an existing version of Windows as a new
computer would not have an older version installed.

If it is an OEM version then your only recourse is to:
1. Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save the XP Home
data and settings to another hard drive partition, a network drive, or
a backup device.
2. Reformat the hard drive and install the OEM XP Pro.
3. Reinstall the application programs.
4, Run FASTW to import the data saved in step 1.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP