Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Question

Network Question

Bill

I don't have a network yet but will in a few days.

I have a network newly installed on my computer.

Now, when I boot up it asks for a password.

My wife and I will be the only ones on the network.. Is there a way to
bypass this request and have the computer boot up fully as before the
install of the card..?

Once both computers are connected will I need the password then or can we
get by without one?

Thank you for your help..

--
Bill Splaine, Healdsburg, CA
Iesus, tanto nomini nullum par elogium

Harrison

http://www.updatexp.com/tip14.html

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:29:38 -0700, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't have a network yet but will in a few days.
>
>I have a network newly installed on my computer.
>
>Now, when I boot up it asks for a password.
>
>My wife and I will be the only ones on the network.. Is there a way to
>bypass this request and have the computer boot up fully as before the
>install of the card..?
>
>Once both computers are connected will I need the password then or can we
>get by without one?
>
>Thank you for your help..

Bill

I made the mistake of not giving you complete information.. I am using Win98
first edition. I will be upgrading to XP pretty soon.. but.. I don't have
it right now. Is the fix similar for 98???

Thanks
Bill

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.updatexp.com/tip14.html
>
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:29:38 -0700, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I don't have a network yet but will in a few days.
> >
> >I have a network newly installed on my computer.
> >
> >Now, when I boot up it asks for a password.
> >
> >My wife and I will be the only ones on the network.. Is there a way to
> >bypass this request and have the computer boot up fully as before the
> >install of the card..?
> >
> >Once both computers are connected will I need the password then or can we
> >get by without one?
> >
> >Thank you for your help..

Harrison

Sorry, I assumed you had XP.
Try this one for 98.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;152104

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:15:27 -0700, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I made the mistake of not giving you complete information.. I am using Win98
>first edition. I will be upgrading to XP pretty soon.. but.. I don't have
>it right now. Is the fix similar for 98???
>
>Thanks
>Bill
>
>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> http://www.updatexp.com/tip14.html
>>
>> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:29:38 -0700, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I don't have a network yet but will in a few days.
>> >
>> >I have a network newly installed on my computer.
>> >
>> >Now, when I boot up it asks for a password.
>> >
>> >My wife and I will be the only ones on the network.. Is there a way to
>> >bypass this request and have the computer boot up fully as before the
>> >install of the card..?
>> >
>> >Once both computers are connected will I need the password then or can we
>> >get by without one?
>> >
>> >Thank you for your help..

pcbutts1

1)Delete all *.pwl files. (Start/Find/Files or Folders and search your
drive for them.)

2) Now go to: Start/Settings/Control Panel/NetworkIcon/Configuration Tab.
Make sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" is in the list. If it is not
there, then install it:
a. Push ADD button
b. highlight "Client" in the list shown
c. Push ADD button
d. Under Manufacturers, highlight "Microsoft"
e. Under Network Clients, highlight "Client for Microsoft Networks"
f. Push OK button
g. Double click on tcp/ip->Dial up Adapter. Select the "Bindings" tab
and uncheck Client for MS Networks
h. click ok

3) Make sure that "Windows Logon" is selected in the "Primary
Network Logon" box.

4) Reboot your computer

5) When you see the "Enter username and password" logon screen during the
reboot, enter a name only and click "OK" with no password entered.

6) You will be prompted to confirm, click ok again with no password entered.

That's it. You will no longer see the windows password screen on bootup.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...