Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Very slow network connection

Very slow network connection

Wade Eyre

I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.
I am having some difficulty with the connection speed between my computer
system and my wireless laptop with the actual bandwidth. Both are running
Windows 2000 P and should interact really well but when I attempt to copy a
file from one system to the next, its brutally slow and I'm hoping someone
might have some suggestions as to why. My wireless is through a Linksys Hub
and everything seems to be working fine there.

Cheers
wade

Rob

Check you antivirus. If you have a virus, it'll bog down your connection
speed.

--
Rob B

"Wade Eyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3Rxgb.5758$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.
> I am having some difficulty with the connection speed between my computer
> system and my wireless laptop with the actual bandwidth. Both are running
> Windows 2000 P and should interact really well but when I attempt to copy

> file from one system to the next, its brutally slow and I'm hoping someone
> might have some suggestions as to why. My wireless is through a Linksys

Hub
> and everything seems to be working fine there.
>
> Cheers
> wade

Harrison

If your wireless hub or router is sitting directly adjacent to a cable
or dsl modem, try moving it a few feet away. Sometimes they will cause
interference.

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:51:30 -0400, "Wade Eyre" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.
>I am having some difficulty with the connection speed between my computer
>system and my wireless laptop with the actual bandwidth. Both are running
>Windows 2000 P and should interact really well but when I attempt to copy a
>file from one system to the next, its brutally slow and I'm hoping someone
>might have some suggestions as to why. My wireless is through a Linksys Hub
>and everything seems to be working fine there.
>
>Cheers
>wade

Mike0000

Wade Eyre wrote:

> I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.
> I am having some difficulty with the connection speed between my computer
> system and my wireless laptop with the actual bandwidth. Both are running
> Windows 2000 P and should interact really well but when I attempt to copy a
> file from one system to the next, its brutally slow and I'm hoping someone
> might have some suggestions as to why. My wireless is through a Linksys Hub
> and everything seems to be working fine there.
>
> Cheers
> wade

Wireless technology is sloooowww. Consider that 802.11b has at least 3
modes 11mbs, 5, 3 and 1. After network overhead only a certain
percentage of that can even be used. Now toss in interference, lost
packets, etc and wireless is just not good for bulk transfers. If you
are connected at 11mbs you'll be lucky to get 4 or 5mbs real world speeds.

Also, the assumption that both PCs running the same OS == faster or
easier dowloads is flawed.

Workaround: when doing bulk transfers, plug it into the router. Then
get back on the wireless of light browsing, etc.

Also, all the bandwidth is in contention. So if you have someone else
using the same connection and even though it says both of you are
connected at 11mbs, the real world speeds can be as low as under 1mbs if
both of you are fighting for the bandwidth.

Last resort: buy a cheap-ass USB keychain drive and use it for bulk
transfers. No need to get off the wireless and plug yourself into the
router then.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now