Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Question

Network Question

Ged

Hi

I`m Installing a LAN card in a PC for a friend so that he can copy files to
his
laptop etc. He`s with Telewest Broadband and there is already a network card
installed.

Will it work with a second RJ45 card or do I need to configure the telewest
card.

Thanks for any help.

why?

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:43:53 +0100, Ged wrote:

Which post do you want answered? This one or the one 6 minutes earlier?

>Hi
>
>I`m Installing a LAN card in a PC for a friend so that he can copy files to
>his
>laptop etc. He`s with Telewest Broadband and there is already a network card

See,
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.wown.com/

(You didn't mention which OS)
>installed.

If Internet sharing is also required try connection sharing software,
like ICS maybe.
Others are WinRoute
http://www.deerfield.com/products/winroute-firewall/
or Sygate Home Network
http://smb.sygate.com/

>Will it work with a second RJ45 card or do I need to configure the telewest
>card.

Is there something wrong with the BB NIC? If not you don't need to
change it's settings.

>Thanks for any help.

Best combination, for file and Internet sharing.

Simple method, go an buy a router and patch cables . Register the router
MAC address in BY selfcare,
http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/selfcare/
Plug the CM into the router WAN port, plug in the PCs (PCs have TCP/IP
set to obtain setting automatically) to the router LAN ports and reboot
everything CM, router, PCs. (The MAC registrarion varies, it could be 5
minutes or several hours to work after the change)

http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/
http://www.by-users.co.uk/

there is also this newsgroup,
blueyonder.users.self-help.networking

Me

Arvel Hathcock

> If Internet sharing is also required try connection sharing software,
> like ICS maybe.
> Others are WinRoute
> http://www.deerfield.com/products/winroute-firewall/

Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute? Just go straight to the authors
http://www.kerio.com.

Arvel

why?

On 17 Oct 2003 16:08:11 -0700, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

>> If Internet sharing is also required try connection sharing software,
>> like ICS maybe.
>> Others are WinRoute
>> http://www.deerfield.com/products/winroute-firewall/

>Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute? Just go straight to the authors
>http://www.kerio.com.
>
>Arvel

Why not?

Me

Doug Merchant

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Arvel Hathcock) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > If Internet sharing is also required try connection sharing software,
> > like ICS maybe.
> > Others are WinRoute
> > http://www.deerfield.com/products/winroute-firewall/

> Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute? Just go straight to the authors
> http://www.kerio.com.
>
> Arvel

Mr. Hathcock - obviously you have an issue with deerfield. Leave us
out of it! Why should I care about your opinion? If you want to offer
assistance on your product fine! but don't drag the rest of us into
your personal battles.

I'm sure _your_ partners that sell _your_ products appreciate the fact
you're telling customers to buy from the manufacture. It's obvious you
hold little value to your distribution channel.

Doug

Arvel Hathcock

(E-Mail Removed) (Doug Merchant) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Arvel Hathcock) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > > If Internet sharing is also required try connection sharing software,
> > > like ICS maybe.
> > > Others are WinRoute
> > > http://www.deerfield.com/products/winroute-firewall/

> > Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute? Just go straight to the authors
> > http://www.kerio.com.
> >
> > Arvel

> Mr. Hathcock - obviously you have an issue with deerfield.

Thanks 'Doug'.

I just asked a simple and obvious question. Rather than answer the
question you attack me? What's the point in that?

Arvel

Doug Merchant

> > > Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute? Just go straight to the authors
> > > http://www.kerio.com.
> > >
> > > Arvel

> > Mr. Hathcock - obviously you have an issue with deerfield.

> Thanks 'Doug'.
>
> I just asked a simple and obvious question. Rather than answer the
> question you attack me? What's the point in that?
>
> Arvel

You must be running for office... That's amazing how you turned the
post into my problem. Bravo!

I would consider your question "Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute?"
legitimate if you had left it at that. But really, what value did that
add to the thread?

Perhaps the previous poster suggested deerfield because of positive
past experiences with the company.

The only "value" I've taken from this thread is that you hold little
regard for your distribution channel. I suppose everyone looking for
your product should go directly to you.

Let me get this straight - Al Gore created the Internet and you're
tasked with making sure everyone gets in line behind you. Beautiful!

Arvel Hathcock

> I would consider your question "Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute?"
> legitimate if you had left it at that.

I did "just leave it at that" but you continue to feel the need to
attack me for some reason.

> Let me get this straight - Al Gore created the Internet and you're
> tasked with making sure everyone gets in line behind you. Beautiful!

Ha ha! Where is this coming from?

Arvel

Mike Deerfield

(E-Mail Removed) (Arvel Hathcock) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > If Internet sharing is also required try connection sharing software,
> > like ICS maybe.
> > Others are WinRoute
> > http://www.deerfield.com/products/winroute-firewall/

> Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute? Just go straight to the authors
> http://www.kerio.com.
>
> Arvel

This is not a hard question to answer.

There are a number of reasons why a customer would elect to purchase
from a software vendor's sales channel partner, vs. the software
vendor themselves. These reasons include, price, convenience,
support, previous experience, localization, and other value added
services and products to name a few. Legitimate software companies
understand the value of sales channels to their customer, and that's
why they build them.

Mike Deerfield
CEO - Deerfield.com
http://www.deerfield.com

Arvel Hathcock

> > Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute? Just go straight to the authors
> > http://www.kerio.com.

> This is not a hard question to answer.
>
> There are a number of reasons why a customer would elect to purchase
> from a software vendor's sales channel partner, vs. the software
> vendor themselves. These reasons include, price, convenience,
> support, previous experience, localization, and other value added
> services and products to name a few. Legitimate software companies
> understand the value of sales channels to their customer, and that's
> why they build them.

Hi Mike!

I do understand fully the value of sales partners. I have a very
large sales partner network myself after all and have just returned
from a trip which was focused in large measure on building it up
further: (http://www.altn.com/press/press_rele...?ReleaseID=81).
To be perfectly candid, I'm not sure you would be my first choice for
advise on sales channel related issues.

However, this is not the point under discussion. I did not ask the
question "What is the benefit of a sales channel". I asked this
question: "Why go to Deerfield for WinRoute". This, of course, is a
completely different question and remains entirely unanswered (so
far).

I would love to debate with you the pros and cons of selecting
Deerfield as a WinRoute vendor. I leave it to you to make that
decision.

Arvel