Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > new power supply- error message on boot up

new power supply- error message on boot up

Jay Wilson

Hello,
I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
computer, I get a screen that says:

Hardware monitor found an error
enter power setup menu for details

Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup

In power monitor area, it doesn't mention what the error is, just gives me
the following readings:

MB temp 106 F
CPU temp 117 F

v core voltage 1.7v
+3.3v voltage 3.3 (occasionally 3.2 for a second)
+5v voltage 4.9v
+12v voltage 11.7v
-12v voltage 12.7v (occasionally 12.6 for a second)

Are these readings normal? Shouldn't the 12v voltages be 12 volts?

Is this (error message) just because it doesn't recognize the new power
supply?

If I press F1, the computer boots up normally and seems to work fine. (I'm
using it to make this post)

Can you tell me what the problem is and how to fix it? I've e-mailed the
Antec tech support but have not heard back from them.

Thanks,
Jay Wilson

Rob

If it didn't recognize the power supply the computer wouldn't even turn on.

--
Rob B
http://www.techhowto.org

"Jay Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jepgb.970$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Hello,
> I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
> I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
> computer, I get a screen that says:
>
> Hardware monitor found an error
> enter power setup menu for details
>
> Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup
>

> In power monitor area, it doesn't mention what the error is, just gives

me
> the following readings:
>
> MB temp 106 F
> CPU temp 117 F
>
> v core voltage 1.7v
> +3.3v voltage 3.3 (occasionally 3.2 for a second)
> +5v voltage 4.9v
> +12v voltage 11.7v
> -12v voltage 12.7v (occasionally 12.6 for a second)
>
> Are these readings normal? Shouldn't the 12v voltages be 12 volts?
>
> Is this (error message) just because it doesn't recognize the new power
> supply?
>
> If I press F1, the computer boots up normally and seems to work fine. (I'm
> using it to make this post)
>
> Can you tell me what the problem is and how to fix it? I've e-mailed the
> Antec tech support but have not heard back from them.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay Wilson

lapin des pyrenees

try to update your bios

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it didn't recognize the power supply the computer wouldn't even turn

on.

> --
> Rob B
> http://www.techhowto.org
>

> "Jay Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jepgb.970$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > Hello,
> > I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
> > I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
> > computer, I get a screen that says:
> >
> > Hardware monitor found an error
> > enter power setup menu for details
> >
> > Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup
> >

> > In power monitor area, it doesn't mention what the error is, just gives

> me
> > the following readings:
> >
> > MB temp 106 F
> > CPU temp 117 F
> >
> > v core voltage 1.7v
> > +3.3v voltage 3.3 (occasionally 3.2 for a second)
> > +5v voltage 4.9v
> > +12v voltage 11.7v
> > -12v voltage 12.7v (occasionally 12.6 for a second)
> >
> > Are these readings normal? Shouldn't the 12v voltages be 12 volts?
> >
> > Is this (error message) just because it doesn't recognize the new power
> > supply?
> >
> > If I press F1, the computer boots up normally and seems to work fine.

(I'm
> > using it to make this post)
> >
> > Can you tell me what the problem is and how to fix it? I've e-mailed

the
> > Antec tech support but have not heard back from them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jay Wilson

°Mike°

It may be that the power supply fan is slow to spin up.
Check the fan at startup, and get a replacement PS if
necessary.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:08:15 GMT, in
<jepgb.970$(E-Mail Removed) t>
Jay Wilson scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jay Wilson

Thanks Rob. That's one possibility eliminated.

Jay W.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it didn't recognize the power supply the computer wouldn't even turn

on.

> --
> Rob B
> http://www.techhowto.org
>

> "Jay Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jepgb.970$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > Hello,
> > I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
> > I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
> > Thanks,
> > Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson

Thanks lapin. I'm still too inexperienced with computers to mess with the
bios. I'll do some googling to see if I can figure out how to update bios.
Jay W
"lapin des pyrenees" <moc@com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> try to update your bios
>

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If it didn't recognize the power supply the computer wouldn't even turn

> on.
> >
> > --
> > Rob B
> > http://www.techhowto.org
> >

> > "Jay Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:jepgb.970$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
> > > I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start

my
> > > computer, I get a screen that says:
> > >
> > > Hardware monitor found an error
> > > enter power setup menu for details
> > >
> > > Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup
> > >

> > > In power monitor area, it doesn't mention what the error is, just

gives
> > me
> > > the following readings:
> > >
> > > MB temp 106 F
> > > CPU temp 117 F
> > >
> > > v core voltage 1.7v
> > > +3.3v voltage 3.3 (occasionally 3.2 for a second)
> > > +5v voltage 4.9v
> > > +12v voltage 11.7v
> > > -12v voltage 12.7v (occasionally 12.6 for a second)
> > >
> > > Are these readings normal? Shouldn't the 12v voltages be 12 volts?
> > >
> > > Is this (error message) just because it doesn't recognize the new

power
> > > supply?
> > >
> > > If I press F1, the computer boots up normally and seems to work fine.

> (I'm
> > > using it to make this post)
> > >
> > > Can you tell me what the problem is and how to fix it? I've e-mailed

> the
> > > Antec tech support but have not heard back from them.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson

Thanks Mike. I get loud fan noise at startup but I'll try to do a visual
check.
Jay W.
Ps. How do you scrawl with a keyboard?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It may be that the power supply fan is slow to spin up.
> Check the fan at startup, and get a replacement PS if
> necessary.
>

> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:08:15 GMT, in
> <jepgb.970$(E-Mail Removed) t>
> Jay Wilson scrawled:
>
> >Hello,
> >I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
> >I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
> >computer, I get a screen that says:
> >
> > Hardware monitor found an error
> > enter power setup menu for details

°Mike°

Presuming this loud fan noise is from the PSU, you can be
almost certain that's the problem, and the unit should be
taken back for replacement.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 03:27:45 GMT, in
<Roqgb.1045$(E-Mail Removed) et>
Jay Wilson scrawled:

>Thanks Mike. I get loud fan noise at startup but I'll try to do a visual
>check.
>Jay W.
>Ps. How do you scrawl with a keyboard?
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It may be that the power supply fan is slow to spin up.
>> Check the fan at startup, and get a replacement PS if
>> necessary.
>>

>> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:08:15 GMT, in
>> <jepgb.970$(E-Mail Removed) t>
>> Jay Wilson scrawled:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
>> >I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
>> >computer, I get a screen that says:
>> >
>> > Hardware monitor found an error
>> > enter power setup menu for details

--
Basic computer maintenance

Plato

Jay Wilson wrote:

> I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
> I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
> computer, I get a screen that says:
>
> Hardware monitor found an error
> enter power setup menu for details

Sounds more like a cpu fan message. Did you get a new PS assuming _it_
was bad and not that your cpu fan was bad?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Jay Wilson

Hello,
Thank you Rob, Mike, Plato and Lapin for helping with my problem. I did
exchange the PS but still got the error message. It ended up that updating
the bios has almost completely solved it. I only get the message on a real
cold boot (after the machine has been off for several hours) I think I'll
replace the CPU fan just to make sure it's not an issue. I also installed a
motherboard monitor and all the voltages and temps are within parameters.
Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

Jay Wilson