Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Grey pop-up "messages"

Grey pop-up "messages"

Jim Beaver

Not long ago there was a post about getting rid of those "messenger" pop-ups
(the grey ones that look like they're supposed to be "official news"). I
got rid of mine, but I've just upgraded my browser and they're back. I
can't remember what the process was for getting rid of them.

Jim Beaver

Brian H¹©

Jim Beaver said:

> Not long ago there was a post about getting rid of those "messenger" pop-ups
> (the grey ones that look like they're supposed to be "official news"). I
> got rid of mine, but I've just upgraded my browser and they're back. I
> can't remember what the process was for getting rid of them.
>
> Jim Beaver

If you are running Win2000/NT/XP disable Messenger Service in Administrative
Tools

°Mike°

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
Advertisement Appears

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:36:44 GMT, in
<0rEfb.6044$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jim Beaver scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

dr_hardwrae

"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0rEfb.6044$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Not long ago there was a post about getting rid of those "messenger"

pop-ups
> (the grey ones that look like they're supposed to be "official news"). I
> got rid of mine, but I've just upgraded my browser and they're back. I
> can't remember what the process was for getting rid of them.
>
> Jim Beaver

Try this program: http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

And these: http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

hmmm

Which Firewall do you recommend/use?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Outpost from www.agnitum.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
>> uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
>> firewall.
>>
>> To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
>> open the Services panel by typing...
>>
>> services.msc /s
>>
>> ...into the Start / Run box.
>> In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
>> Right click and choose 'Properties'.
>> Click the 'Stop' button.
>> From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
>> 'Apply / Ok'.
>>
>> More information:
>>
>> Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
>> Advertisement Appears
>>
>> Windows Messages
>> http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml
>>
>> How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
>> Service
>> http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html
>>
>> How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
>> XP-Based Computer
>>
>> Stopping Advertisements with Messenger Service Titles
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp
>>
>> Disable-Remove Windows Messenger
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
>>
>> Firewalls:
>> ------------
>> Outpost
>> http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
>>
>> Sygate
>> http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm
>>
>> Zone Alarm
>> http://www.zonelabs.com/
>>

>> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:36:44 GMT, in
>> <0rEfb.6044$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Jim Beaver scrawled:
>>
>>> Not long ago there was a post about getting rid of those "messenger" pop-ups
>>> (the grey ones that look like they're supposed to be "official news"). I
>>> got rid of mine, but I've just upgraded my browser and they're back. I
>>> can't remember what the process was for getting rid of them.
>>>
>>> Jim Beaver
>>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Either of these two:

Outpost
Outpost Guide
http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm

Sygate
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

Outpost is the easiest to configure.

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:16:51 +0100, in
<blndbr$rj5$(E-Mail Removed)>
hmmm scrawled:

>Which Firewall do you recommend/use?

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
>> uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
>> firewall.
>>
>> To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance