Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Usage Low

Network Usage Low

mhicaoidh

I have a LAN on a 100 Mbps network. Recently when transferring a 800 MB
file from one machine to another, I checked the network usage display in
WinXP. It showed that only 15% of my total bandwidth was being used for the
transfer (which took about 7 minutes).

I thought one of the advantages of the network was quicker file
transfers. All computers are running 100 Mbps connections (as confirmed by
NIC readouts). QoS is disabled. Any ideas?

TIA

pcbutts1

So what's your problem?

"mhicaoidh" <mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailSPM.com> wrote in message
> I have a LAN on a 100 Mbps network. Recently when transferring a 800

MB
> file from one machine to another, I checked the network usage display in
> WinXP. It showed that only 15% of my total bandwidth was being used for

the
> transfer (which took about 7 minutes).
>
> I thought one of the advantages of the network was quicker file
> transfers. All computers are running 100 Mbps connections (as confirmed

by
> NIC readouts). QoS is disabled. Any ideas?
>
> TIA

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, pcbutts1 mused:

| So what's your problem?

Nothing, other than I would have expected it to use more than 15% ...
Though, I have since been reading that there are a lot of other factors
involved than just the speed of the network. So, it would appear to be
normal.

why?

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:18:15 GMT, mhicaoidh wrote:

>Taking a moment's reflection, pcbutts1 mused:
>|
>| So what's your problem?
>
> Nothing, other than I would have expected it to use more than 15% ...
>Though, I have since been reading that there are a lot of other factors
>involved than just the speed of the network. So, it would appear to be
>normal.

100Mbps is not a guarantee of operating speed, the LEDs show a hardware
link status. It's also hard to swamp even 10Mbps (let alone 100), with
a single application. If you had 5 PCs all copying big files (to from a
server) on a switched setup then you will see more bandwidth in use on
the server side at least.

Don't have figures handy (it was a year ago), but I think a 10Mbps link
was about 12.5% between a AMD K6/2-500 and a P4 1.8GHz. Increasing this
to 100Mbps did little as the older PC could not keep up.

However between some newer kit on Gb, it's a paltry 8390kbps.

Me