Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger - What difference?

Bob Fleming

Hi, I am currently running Windows XP which had Windows Messenger 4.7 on it.
I recently installed a similar product called MSN Messenger 6 thinking that
was an update. Result is that now I cannot get voice and video connections
anymore and and have screwed up "remote assistance" as well.

Question;
Is "Windows Messaging 4.7" distinctly different from "MSN Messenger 6" and
should I have stuck with Windows Messaging that came with WinXP in the first
place?

Many thanks,

Bob.

Rosco

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are indeed differnet, but not by
much. Windows Messener is integrated into XP as part of the OS and MSN
Messenger is an addon for all versions of Windows.(not sure about 3.1)
To restore Windows Messegner, simply uninstall MSN Messenger then go to
this link
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx#Q3t
Click on the "here" part of "If you are running a version older than
4.7.2000, click here to upgrade" That should restore everything

"Bob Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Zgtfb.6313$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi, I am currently running Windows XP which had Windows Messenger 4.7
> on it. I recently installed a similar product called MSN Messenger 6
> thinking that was an update. Result is that now I cannot get voice
> and video connections anymore and and have screwed up "remote
> assistance" as well.
>
> Question;
> Is "Windows Messaging 4.7" distinctly different from "MSN Messenger
> 6" and
> should I have stuck with Windows Messaging that came with WinXP in the
> first place?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Bob.

Bob Fleming

Rosco,

Many thanks.

Bob.

"Rosco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns940A16ECDB12Arosco111shawuscom@209.25.157. 130...
> MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are indeed differnet, but not by
> much. Windows Messener is integrated into XP as part of the OS and MSN
> Messenger is an addon for all versions of Windows.(not sure about 3.1)
> To restore Windows Messegner, simply uninstall MSN Messenger then go to
> this link
> http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx#Q3t
> Click on the "here" part of "If you are running a version older than
> 4.7.2000, click here to upgrade" That should restore everything
>

> "Bob Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Zgtfb.6313$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi, I am currently running Windows XP which had Windows Messenger 4.7
> > on it. I recently installed a similar product called MSN Messenger 6
> > thinking that was an update. Result is that now I cannot get voice
> > and video connections anymore and and have screwed up "remote
> > assistance" as well.
> >
> > Question;
> > Is "Windows Messaging 4.7" distinctly different from "MSN Messenger
> > 6" and
> > should I have stuck with Windows Messaging that came with WinXP in the
> > first place?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Bob.

Rosco

No problem, hope it helps

"Bob Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:hYufb.6351
$(E-Mail Removed):