Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What do you do when...

What do you do when...

°Mike°

.... you receive an attachment, and your antivirus does not
identify it? You delete it straight away, right? Well, yes,
right, but also WRONG!
Before you delete it, IF it is NOT recognised or identified,
submit it to your antivirus vendor. This is called a virus "in
the wild", and your vendor NEEDS to know about them.
Before you do this, though, be sure NOT to click on it -
just save it to disk, and archive it (zip/rar) so that it is safe,
and can be sent to your AV vendor. I cannot stress enough
how important it is NOT to click on an unknown attachment,
even if it come from somebody you know.

Follow the information on your vendor's support page, below -
these are links for submitting suspect viruses, worms, trojans to
the major vendors. The Kaspersky site allows for single file
upload and immediate identification (if possible).

IMPORTANT!
-----------------
Only submit an attachment ONCE, and once ONLY.
Your vendor will not be over pleased if you bombard
them with the same attachment over and over.
Also, do NOT submit attachments that are already
identified! Give them time to evaluate the file, and
release an update - when they do, you can then feel
that, maybe, your submission helped with, if not provided
the 'fix'.

Anti-Virus Software
--------------------------

eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
https://my-etrust.com/services/virusSample.cfm

KAV/AVP (Kaspersky)

Norton (Symantec)
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/submit.html

McAfee (Network Associates)
http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/report_virus.asp

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/support/queries/index.html#sample

PC Cillin (Trend Micro)
http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/trendlabs/submit.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

F-Secure
http://www.f-secure.com/contactus.shtml

Panda

RAV (GeCAD)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/support/submit-file.php
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
See:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-07/0240.html

Norman
http://www.norman.com/analysis_common_report.shtml

Bitdefender

Command (Authentium)
http://www.authentium.com/threats/submitsample.cfm

Dr. Web (DialogueScience)
http://www.dialognauka.ru/english/www_av/

Aladdin Knowledge Systems
http://www.eliashim.com/home/csrt/vsubmit.asp

Protector Plus (Proland)
http://www.pspl.com/support/support.htm

Quick Heal (CAT Computer Services)
http://www.quickheal.com/newvir.htm

Vexira (Central Command)
http://www.centralcommand.com/virus_submission.html

Leprechaun
http://www.leprechaun.com.au/contact.asp

Anti-Trojan Software
-----------------------------

Trojan Defense Suite (Diamond CS)
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=contact

Trojan Hunter (Mischel Security)
http://www.misec.net/

Trojan Remover (Simply Super Software)
http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/support.html

The Cleaner (Moosoft)
http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/supportform.php

--
Basic computer maintenance

SgtMinor

"°Mike°" wrote:

> ... you receive an attachment, and your antivirus does not
> identify it? You delete it straight away, right? Well, yes,
> right, but also WRONG!

Altruism can be hoped for but not circumscribed.

> Before you delete it, IF it is NOT recognised or identified,
> submit it to your antivirus vendor. This is called a virus "in
> the wild", and your vendor NEEDS to know about them.
> Before you do this, though, be sure NOT to click on it -
> just save it to disk, and archive it (zip/rar) so that it is safe,
> and can be sent to your AV vendor. I cannot stress enough
> how important it is NOT to click on an unknown attachment,
> even if it come from somebody you know.
>
> Follow the information on your vendor's support page, below -
> these are links for submitting suspect viruses, worms, trojans to
> the major vendors. The Kaspersky site allows for single file
> upload and immediate identification (if possible).
>
> IMPORTANT!
> -----------------
> Only submit an attachment ONCE, and once ONLY.
> Your vendor will not be over pleased if you bombard
> them with the same attachment over and over.
> Also, do NOT submit attachments that are already
> identified! Give them time to evaluate the file, and
> release an update - when they do, you can then feel
> that, maybe, your submission helped with, if not provided
> the 'fix'.

<snip>

The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them. But
I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds. I
don't mind helping these companies out, but since they're money-making
businesses, they could throw some my way. And if, as you suggest, they
get ****ed off if I'm the fifth guy today to tell 'em today about the
next virus, screw them. I'll meed a bounty payment.

--
"I figger a C-note (American!) would be fair..."

°Mike°

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
SgtMinor scrawled:

<snip>

>The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
>bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
>repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them.

And this is different from any other industry, how?

>But I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
>suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
>raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
leery of doing it should ignore it... period.

>Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
>in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds.

They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
respective pants down.

>I don't mind helping these companies out,

You could have fooled me.

>but since they're money-making businesses, they could throw some my
>way. And if, as you suggest, they get ****ed off if I'm the fifth guy
>today to tell 'em today about the next virus, screw them. I'll meed a
>bounty payment.

Where did I suggest that they would get ****ed off if 'you' were
the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
more than once.

--

"°Mike°" wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> SgtMinor scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
> >The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
> >bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
> >repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them.

> And this is different from any other industry, how?

This industry is absolutely unique. I seem to recall some folk tale or
song from years ago that described an equivalent enterprise. Ma sold
punctured condoms in the store in front, while Pa provided abortions in
the back shed.

> >But I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
> >suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
> >raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

> I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
> The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
> Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
> 'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
> leery of doing it should ignore it... period.
>
> >Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
> >in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds.

> They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
> you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
> update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
> respective pants down.
>
> >I don't mind helping these companies out,

> You could have fooled me.
>
> >but since they're money-making businesses, they could throw some my
> >way. And if, as you suggest, they get ****ed off if I'm the fifth guy
> >today to tell 'em today about the next virus, screw them. I'll meed a
> >bounty payment.

> Where did I suggest that they would get ****ed off if 'you' were
> the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
> more than once.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

And I would get out of this, what?

And BTW, how many viruses have you allowed to infect your system?

--
"It's not like giving a pint at the Red Cross"

°Mike°

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:05:15 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
SgtMinor scrawled:

>"°Mike°" wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> SgtMinor scrawled:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >The 'virus, anti-virus' industry is a billion dollar success. It's a
>> >bottom-feeder internet industry. Saps and suckers are victimized
>> >repeatedly by both sides in this 'war,' and I feel badly for them.

>> And this is different from any other industry, how?

>This industry is absolutely unique. I seem to recall some folk tale or
>song from years ago that described an equivalent enterprise. Ma sold
>punctured condoms in the store in front, while Pa provided abortions in
>the back shed.

No answer, then...

>> >But I would no more advise people to capture potential viruses as you
>> >suggest than I would tell them to try to capture a potentially rabid
>> >raccoon. 'Pull the plug,' I'd tell 'em.

>> I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
>> The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
>> Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
>> 'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
>> leery of doing it should ignore it... period.
>>
>> >Anti-virus producers must have hundreds of email addresses trolling out
>> >in webspace, capturing almost every virus infection doing the rounds.

>> They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
>> you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
>> update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
>> respective pants down.
>>
>> >I don't mind helping these companies out,

>> You could have fooled me.
>>
>> >but since they're money-making businesses, they could throw some my
>> >way. And if, as you suggest, they get ****ed off if I'm the fifth guy
>> >today to tell 'em today about the next virus, screw them. I'll meed a
>> >bounty payment.

>> Where did I suggest that they would get ****ed off if 'you' were
>> the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
>> more than once.
>>
>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

>And I would get out of this, what?

Everything and nothing; whatever you want/don't want.
WTF has my sig. to do with anything?

>And BTW, how many viruses have you allowed to infect your system?

Not one single virus/trojan/worm has *ever* infected my system.

--

"°Mike°" wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:05:15 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> SgtMinor scrawled:
>
> >"°Mike°" wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:02:43 -0400, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> SgtMinor scrawled:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> And this is different from any other industry, how?

> >This industry is absolutely unique. I seem to recall some folk tale or
> >song from years ago that described an equivalent enterprise. Ma sold
> >punctured condoms in the store in front, while Pa provided abortions in
> >the back shed.

> No answer, then...

The answer was quite clear. The success of AV products depends on the
number of new viruses they block. Wouldn't be surprised if there were
AV products out there that can blcok viruses not yet created.

> >> I made no suggestion that people should "capture" potential viruses.
> >> The attachments are already on the machine once downloaded.
> >> Simply saving them and zipping them up does not constitute, IMO,
> >> 'capturing'. Nobody has to follow this advice; anybody that is
> >> leery of doing it should ignore it... period.

> >> They do. But they cannot catch every single 'wild' virus. How do
> >> you think people get caught out? It is not only because people don't
> >> update regularly enough; AV vendors *do* get caught with their
> >> respective pants down.

> >> You could have fooled me.

> >> Where did I suggest that they would get ****ed off if 'you' were
> >> the fifth guy today? I stated not to submit the same attachment
> >> more than once.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> >And I would get out of this, what?

> Everything and nothing; whatever you want/don't want.
> WTF has my sig. to do with anything?

Sorry, tried the PC bottom posting technique and appear to have
offended. My question pertained to the virus vigilante concept.

> >And BTW, how many viruses have you allowed to infect your system?

> Not one single virus/trojan/worm has *ever* infected my system.

Same here. So what's your/my motivation?

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Budweiser

> [...]
> and can be sent to your AV vendor. I cannot stress enough
> how important it is NOT to click on an unknown attachment,
> even if it come from somebody you know.
>
> Follow the information on your vendor's support page, below -
> these are links for submitting suspect viruses, worms, trojans to
> the major vendors. The Kaspersky site allows for single file
> upload and immediate identification (if possible).
>

> IMPORTANT!
> -----------------
> Only submit an attachment ONCE, and once ONLY.
> Your vendor will not be over pleased if you bombard
> them with the same attachment over and over.
> Also, do NOT submit attachments that are already
> identified! Give them time to evaluate the file, and
> release an update - when they do, you can then feel
> that, maybe, your submission helped with, if not provided

if you want to play the paranoid side---who actually writes viri?--do they
pay people so they can supply the miracle pill?(electronic) ---for a laugh
run amachine with no firewall or viri protection--what happens???--how many
viri do you catch in a month/year??
how many times do you get "invaded" by "hackers"????
personally i think it is paranoia for proffit----you comments

monique

when i had anti virus i would get virus 2 or 3 times a month
i quit the anti virus over a year now
and i am doing great
i haven't had a virus yet
i do do not open any attachment at all from nobody even my best friend

moniquew

://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

> if you want to play the paranoid side---who actually writes viri?--do they
> pay people so they can supply the miracle pill?(electronic) ---for a laugh
> run amachine with no firewall or viri protection--what happens???--how

many
> viri do you catch in a month/year??
> how many times do you get "invaded" by "hackers"????
> personally i think it is paranoia for proffit----you comments

°Mike°

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:35:56 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
SgtMinor scrawled:

<snip>

>The answer was quite clear. The success of AV products depends on the
>number of new viruses they block. Wouldn't be surprised if there were
>AV products out there that can blcok viruses not yet created.

The answer was clear? Maybe to somebody that lives on the
planet Zardoz!

<snip>

>Sorry, tried the PC bottom posting technique and appear to have
>offended.

Not offended; confused.

> My question pertained to the virus vigilante concept.

I think you're being a touch melodramatic over the whole thing.

<snip>

>Same here. So what's your/my motivation?

I don't know about yours, but mine is that anything is possible.
I'd rather help the vendors try to stay on top.

--
Basic computer maintenance

gangle

**** you, **** Kaspersky, and **** your vendor.