Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xp network adapter problem!!!

xp network adapter problem!!!

nobody

i use xp, and have a linksys wireless card. IT WORKED 2 weeks ago before
the hurricane hit us. the computer ran out of batteries eventually and now
the card won't work. my roommate has the same make and model card, and my
card worked in his machine. I went to a library that rents out cards, and
their's booted right up on mine. then i plugged my card in...and it worked
ok in the library! so i took it home and it still would not work! it says
that it is connected. my speed is 11.0 Mbps and the signal strength is
good. i have no idea! it has to be in my xp. but it worked fine before!
any suggestions?!?

thanks

Harrison

It could be in your access point. Being without power for long enough
may have made it go back to default. I'd suggest you start over, just
as you did when you set up the access point and card. Set up the AP
and then reinstall the card, just as you did when they were originally
purchased.

XP can be tricky with wireless. Play around with bridging on and off.
Ideally, you'd want to set up a unique SSID and use MAC filtering to
insure that your wireless is secure. WEP is pretty much useless.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:51:57 -0400, "nobody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i use xp, and have a linksys wireless card. IT WORKED 2 weeks ago before
>the hurricane hit us. the computer ran out of batteries eventually and now
>the card won't work. my roommate has the same make and model card, and my
>card worked in his machine. I went to a library that rents out cards, and
>their's booted right up on mine. then i plugged my card in...and it worked
>ok in the library! so i took it home and it still would not work! it says
>that it is connected. my speed is 11.0 Mbps and the signal strength is
>good. i have no idea! it has to be in my xp. but it worked fine before!
>any suggestions?!?
>
>thanks

nobody

hmm.. i'm not computer literate.. all i know is that the set up process
involved nothing more than just plugging it in. access point? i have no
idea. can you provide a step by step?

thanks so much

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It could be in your access point. Being without power for long enough
> may have made it go back to default. I'd suggest you start over, just
> as you did when you set up the access point and card. Set up the AP
> and then reinstall the card, just as you did when they were originally
> purchased.
>
> XP can be tricky with wireless. Play around with bridging on and off.
> Ideally, you'd want to set up a unique SSID and use MAC filtering to
> insure that your wireless is secure. WEP is pretty much useless.
>
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:51:57 -0400, "nobody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >i use xp, and have a linksys wireless card. IT WORKED 2 weeks ago before
> >the hurricane hit us. the computer ran out of batteries eventually and

now
> >the card won't work. my roommate has the same make and model card, and

my
> >card worked in his machine. I went to a library that rents out cards,

and
> >their's booted right up on mine. then i plugged my card in...and it

worked
> >ok in the library! so i took it home and it still would not work! it

says
> >that it is connected. my speed is 11.0 Mbps and the signal strength is
> >good. i have no idea! it has to be in my xp. but it worked fine

before!
> >any suggestions?!?
> >
> >thanks

Harrison

If you're using wireless Internet at home, or anywhere for that
matter, then you are using an access point. The access point may well
be incorporated into a wireless router, which is then attached to DSL,
cable, or some other network setup.

What I'm saying is that perhaps whatever access point, be it a
wireless router or whatever, it may have lost any custom settings in
the power outage and may have returned to its default settings.
Those settings may not be matching up to your wireless card.

The following settings are relevant to whether or not the two wireless
devices will be able to communicate with each other.

AP name
SSID
Channel
Encryption Method and Keys

If you don't know how to configure these, then you should probably
contact either the company who set it up for you or a competent
professional.