Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "program" popped up on PC Power Scan

"program" popped up on PC Power Scan

Loki

All of a sudden a program popped up on my PC at start up called Power Scan,
which purports to scan for porno. I have no idea where it came from and I
did not install it. Not knowing what it is I have not used it nor have I
used the "uninstall" button as I'm not sure what it will do. Has anyone else
run into this and is it safe to use the uninstall feature? Norton anti virus
on a system check detects no virus. The program does not appear in the start
menu nor does it appear in the control panel for a installed/uninstall
program. Checked a web sit called www.power-scan.com and it show what looks
like the program but no details which I find strange.

Any ideas?

°Mike°

Install and use:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:21:20 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Loki scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Patrick

Loki wrote:
> All of a sudden a program popped up on my PC at start up called Power
> Scan, which purports to scan for porno. I have no idea where it came
> from and I did not install it. Not knowing what it is I have not used
> it nor have I used the "uninstall" button as I'm not sure what it
> will do. Has anyone else run into this and is it safe to use the
> uninstall feature? Norton anti virus on a system check detects no
> virus. The program does not appear in the start menu nor does it
> appear in the control panel for a installed/uninstall program.
> Checked a web sit called www.power-scan.com and it show what looks
> like the program but no details which I find strange.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

I.ve removed your e-mail above, it is not wise to publish such things on
Usenet

I had a look at that site, very undesirable!
Thiere privacy policy says they can do what they like with your machine.

They kindly left a couple of 'data-miner' cookies on my machine.
I have removed said cookies with 'Ad-Aware' which is a free and respected
utility for doing such.
A link to download Ad-Aware is;

Another free program that is much along the lines Ad-Aware (and so
respected) is 'Spybot Search and Destroy'.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

What I would do is to install 'Ad-aware' or/and 'Spybot Search and Destroy',
remove the undesirable program as best as possible and then run 'Ad-aware'
or/and 'Spybot Search and Destroy'.
Said programs should be checked for updates (facility to do so is within
programs).

Loki

used these and they don't show the program

gangle11

"Loki" wrote
> used these and they don't show the program

M-M-M-M a b e L ?

°Mike°

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 03:53:52 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
gangle11 scrawled:

>"Loki" wrote
>> used these and they don't show the program

> M-M-M-M a b e L ?

That's not Mabel, you poor creature.

--
" M E D I C ! "

°Mike°

Install HijackThis and run it. Post the contents of the
log here.

HijackThis
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 05:30:37 -0500, in