Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP Pro or Server2003

Windows XP Pro or Server2003

RG

Hey, friend of mine just got a new computer with the AMD64 CPU, and just
wondering what OS he should be using to maximize performace, Windows XP Pro,
or Server2003. He plays lots of games, and i was curious as to how well the
game performance is on MS Server2003 OS. He got 1gb of 3200 DDR Ram, 120GB
SATA HDD, that new ASUS board, ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder Pro 128mb.
Also, when using the new hardware in Windows Server2003, there are no driver
listings for that OS on for instance the ATI Website, would he go about
using the Windows XP drivers? or the Windows 2000 drivers? or are they the
same? Please let me know

thanks

Harrison

I'd go with XP until the 64 bit version of same is out.

>Hey, friend of mine just got a new computer with the AMD64 CPU, and just
>wondering what OS he should be using to maximize performace, Windows XP Pro,
>or Server2003. He plays lots of games, and i was curious as to how well the
>game performance is on MS Server2003 OS. He got 1gb of 3200 DDR Ram, 120GB
>SATA HDD, that new ASUS board, ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder Pro 128mb.
>Also, when using the new hardware in Windows Server2003, there are no driver
>listings for that OS on for instance the ATI Website, would he go about
>using the Windows XP drivers? or the Windows 2000 drivers? or are they the
>same? Please let me know
>
>thanks

Robert de Brus

|| Hey, friend of mine just got a new computer with the AMD64 CPU, and
|| just wondering what OS he should be using to maximize performace,
|| Windows XP Pro, or Server2003. He plays lots of games, and i was
|| curious as to how well the game performance is on MS Server2003 OS.
|| He got 1gb of 3200 DDR Ram, 120GB SATA HDD, that new ASUS board,
|| ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder Pro 128mb. Also, when using the new
|| hardware in Windows Server2003, there are no driver listings for
|| that OS on for instance the ATI Website, would he go about using the
|| Windows XP drivers? or the Windows 2000 drivers? or are they the
|| same? Please let me know
|| thanks

Well quite simply put, as the name implies, Windows Server 2003 is actually
a *Server* operating system.
Unfortunately Microsoft believes that Server operating systems can be used
as workstations as well as servers. No other Server o/s I've come across has
this in mind.

Stick to Windows XP or 2000 for playing games

Some people think they always have to have the latest and greatest hardware
and software, and then wonder why they can never find drivers. You have to
wait for the rest of the world to catch up. And as I said, Server is meant
to be a server, there would be no reason for any of the video card
manufacturers to release high performance drivers for Server (though the XP
or Win2k drivers will probably work anyway)

RG

What i was thinking though, server2003 uses 64bit...windows xp pro doesn't.
correct?

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

> What i was thinking though, server2003 uses 64bit...windows xp pro
doesn't.
> correct?

There's a 64bit version of BOTH available - but that's for the
Itanium chip.

You'd run the 32bit version on an AMD Opteron.

Or wait for an Opteron-specific version.

RwP

Harrison

I know MS and AMD are promoting the Athlon 64 FX-51 with the Windows
Media Center version, but I'm not sure that's a full-bore 64 bit OS.
Last I heard, MS had a shload of code to be recompiled to get to 64
bit on XP, but they were committed to doing it. XP 64 bit ETA is 2004.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:20:05 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy!

>> What i was thinking though, server2003 uses 64bit...windows xp pro
>doesn't.
>> correct?
>
> There's a 64bit version of BOTH available - but that's for the
>Itanium chip.
>
> You'd run the 32bit version on an AMD Opteron.
>
> Or wait for an Opteron-specific version.
>
> RwP

Harrison

Get the full story here
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=3495415

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:55:57 -0400, Harrison
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know MS and AMD are promoting the Athlon 64 FX-51 with the Windows
>Media Center version, but I'm not sure that's a full-bore 64 bit OS.
>Last I heard, MS had a shload of code to be recompiled to get to 64
>bit on XP, but they were committed to doing it. XP 64 bit ETA is 2004.
>
>On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:20:05 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Howdy!

>>> What i was thinking though, server2003 uses 64bit...windows xp pro
>>doesn't.
>>> correct?
>>
>> There's a 64bit version of BOTH available - but that's for the
>>Itanium chip.
>>
>> You'd run the 32bit version on an AMD Opteron.
>>
>> Or wait for an Opteron-specific version.
>>
>> RwP

Robert de Brus

But your games don't, so what's the difference?

Or *do* they?

EricP

>Hey, friend of mine just got a new computer with the AMD64 CPU, and just
>wondering what OS he should be using to maximize performace, Windows XP Pro,
>or Server2003. He plays lots of games, and i was curious as to how well the
>game performance is on MS Server2003 OS. He got 1gb of 3200 DDR Ram, 120GB
>SATA HDD, that new ASUS board, ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder Pro 128mb.
>Also, when using the new hardware in Windows Server2003, there are no driver
>listings for that OS on for instance the ATI Website, would he go about
>using the Windows XP drivers? or the Windows 2000 drivers? or are they the
>same? Please let me know
>
>thanks

Server 2003 will be of no use to him what so ever. It is an NT based
server program. It is also very good at what it does but there is
great difficulty in just getting it to perform like a basic XP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know MS and AMD are promoting the Athlon 64 FX-51 with the Windows
> Media Center version, but I'm not sure that's a full-bore 64 bit OS.

It's not 64 bit at all, according to current info.

> Last I heard, MS had a shload of code to be recompiled to get to 64
> bit on XP, but they were committed to doing it. XP 64 bit ETA is 2004.

Huh? That's news - what are they running on the HP Itanium
Workstations then? 64bit XP is what they claim, and is what the boot up
screen says.

Or are you ignoring Intel's 64bit processor?

RwP