Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP Pro or Server2003

Windows XP Pro or Server2003

Harrison

Tue September 23, 2003 04:41 PM ET
By Elinor Mills Abreu
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a
version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices
Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work
with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops
one.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:14:49 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I know MS and AMD are promoting the Athlon 64 FX-51 with the Windows
>> Media Center version, but I'm not sure that's a full-bore 64 bit OS.

> It's not 64 bit at all, according to current info.
>
>> Last I heard, MS had a shload of code to be recompiled to get to 64
>> bit on XP, but they were committed to doing it. XP 64 bit ETA is 2004.

> Huh? That's news - what are they running on the HP Itanium
>Workstations then? 64bit XP is what they claim, and is what the boot up
>screen says.
>
> Or are you ignoring Intel's 64bit processor?
>
> RwP

Harrison

You know what? There has been enough confusion on this issue.
Read the whole article:

Microsoft to Support AMD, Intel 64-Bit Chips
Tue September 23, 2003 04:41 PM ET
By Elinor Mills Abreu
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a
version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices
Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work
with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops
one.

Chris Jones, corporate vice president for the Windows client division
at Microsoft, said the system would be able to run on 64-bit chips
from both AMD and Intel., on both server computers and desktops.

Intel executives have not publicly disclosed any product plans for a
64-bit PC chip, saying the mainstream desktop market is not ready yet
for 64-bit computing, which processes data faster than current 32-bit
chip architectures.

Analysts have speculated that Microsoft would choose to support AMD's
64-bit PC architecture since its chip is available first. The Athlon
64 will be able to run not only 64-bit applications but 32-bit
programs as well.

But Jones said in an interview before AMD's Athlon 64 launch that it
would not be difficult to fine-tune a version of Windows for Intel's
architecture.

"Our operating system will run as long as (Intel) doesn't change the
instruction set" from their existing 64-bit Itanium chip architecture,
he said. "We will release versions of desktop operating systems for
both Intel and AMD," assuming Intel eventually develops a 64-bit
desktop processor.

Analyst Rob Enderle said Microsoft executives have said in the past
that they will not write a new 64-bit desktop version of Windows
specifically for Intel like it did for Athlon 64.

"Microsoft doesn't want to do two operating systems and if Intel wants
Microsoft support they're going to have to comply with AMD
specifications on 64-bit on the desktop," said Enderle, principal
analyst at research firm Enderle Group.

"Microsoft said they won't do a recompile (of code) or a separate
operating system for Intel; that Windows would have to run on both AMD
and Intel" chips, he added.

Jones declined to elaborate on exactly how Microsoft would optimize
Windows for an Intel 64-bit desktop processor because there is no
product or even product plan yet.

Intel isn't eager to develop a 64-bit desktop processor that could
cripple its 64-bit Itanium processor used in servers, Enderle said.

Jones said the new version of XP will be available in final release in
the first half of next year. He said initially, 64-bit desktop
computing was most likely to be taken up by gamers, video editors and
engineers.

"We're seeing the leading-edge market hit barriers that make (the
early adopters) want 64-bit now," said Jones. "The mainstream desktop
market will take more time to migrate. It will happen, it's just a
matter of when."

AMD said Hewlett-Packard Co. plans to ship Athlon 64-based systems in
the fourth quarter of this year. Other prominent computer companies,
including Fujitsu Ltd. and gaming machine maker Alienware Corp., said
they would have Athlon 64 systems as well.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tue September 23, 2003 04:41 PM ET
> By Elinor Mills Abreu
> SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a
> version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices
> Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work
> with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops
> one.

"The space shuttle entered the earth's atmosphere traveling at 18
times the speed of light."

Shall I dig out the SKUs for the 64bit XP? After all, there's
SOMETHING on the XP based Itanium workstations - and it's not 32bit.

Or do you believe EVERYTHING that's in the press?

RwP

Harrison

Sure! Dig them up and send them to Chris Jones, corporate vice
president for the Windows client division at Microsoft

Quoting Jones, "Our operating system will run as long as (Intel)
doesn't change the instruction set" from their existing 64-bit Itanium
chip architecture, he said. "We will release versions of desktop
operating systems for both Intel and AMD," assuming Intel eventually
develops a 64-bit desktop processor.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:50:00 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Tue September 23, 2003 04:41 PM ET
>> By Elinor Mills Abreu
>> SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a
>> version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices
>> Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work
>> with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops
>> one.

> "The space shuttle entered the earth's atmosphere traveling at 18
>times the speed of light."
>
> Shall I dig out the SKUs for the 64bit XP? After all, there's
>SOMETHING on the XP based Itanium workstations - and it's not 32bit.
>
> Or do you believe EVERYTHING that's in the press?
>
> RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sure! Dig them up and send them to Chris Jones, corporate vice
> president for the Windows client division at Microsoft
>
> Quoting Jones, "Our operating system will run as long as (Intel)
> doesn't change the instruction set" from their existing 64-bit Itanium
> chip architecture, he said. "We will release versions of desktop
> operating systems for both Intel and AMD," assuming Intel eventually
> develops a 64-bit desktop processor.

Notice the "desktop" portion? XP-64 is aimed at WORKSTATIONS. That
is, it's XP Pro in a 64 bit flavor, not XP Home.

Methinks you really ought to dig a bit more.

For instance, the HP web site lists info on XP-64 at
http://www.hp.com/products1/itanium/...s/windows.html ...

Well, it lists 64bit apps that run under Windows-64, or XP-64.

"But Jones said they didn't have one!"

Either a) Jones was misquoted, b) his comments were taken out of
context (they don't have a XP-64 Home, just XP-64 Pro), c) he didn't know
what he was talking about (Shock!), or d) he just out and out lied.

But XP-64 has been shipping for just about a year now.

YOU want to argue? Call most anyone running an Itanium Workstation
under Windows-64 and tell them that they don't know what they're using.

Now, if you REALLY insist - I'll get the SKUs from Microsoft for it.

Hell, there's info on Windows-XP 64 at Microsoft, link at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...uation/faq.asp . You may
notice that WIndows XP 64-bit edition 2002 shipped on August 25, 2001.
Looking at my calendar, that's over 2 years ago.

Next time you want to argue, try verifying your facts. And dn't
just quote some press copy of what someone at Microsoft MIGHT have said.

RwP

Harrison

I saw some of the same things you saw and I agree that there is an OEM
64 bit Windows XP Professional for Technical Workstations. That's a
highly qualified admission that you are right...sort of.

As I read some of the documentation, it became apparent to me that
this OS is nothing more than a workstations cousin to Windows Server
2003 which was written for the Itanium server market. But MS was
shortsighted enough call it XP Professional 64 bit. I guess now the
question will be what the heck are they going to call the 64 bit
Windows XP for AMD?

The Itanium processor and "Windows XP 64 bit" for Technical
Workstations are not by the purest definition Consumer Desktop
Systems.

Also, the Windows XP Professional 64 bit for technical workstations is
not compatible with AMD's new 64 bit Athlon. The instruction coding is
strictly Itanium. I also read that it is not compatible with 32 bit
applications. It allows copy and paste from one to the other, but it
won't run 32 bit dll's.

I think what Jones was saying was that their Windows XP 64 for Athlon
will be Microsoft's first consumer desktop operating system. When and
if Intel develops consumer desktop 64 bit processors, MS will adapt
their coding to run them.

One interesting thing I saw was that some say Intel is reluctant to do
that because it would shoot the costly Itanium in the foot.

I want to thank you for your challenges. I would not have learned all
of these intricate details without them.
MS should stop trying to name all their products the same thing.
It's kind of like buying a Ford F150 Mustang Taurus Explorer.
WTF is it???