Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP upgrade problem.

XP upgrade problem.

Den

Hello all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I decided to upgrade my
operating system from ME to XP. I successfully loaded XP, but when I tried
to connect to the internet using one of my dial up connections, I was unable
to do this. I put in my username and password in correctly, but when I
clicked on 'connect', nothing happened. I am using a HSP56 MR modem (or so
it says in the device manager). If you are wondering how I connected up to
send this post, I hastily unistalled XP, and am now back to ME with no
problems!

What went wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance,

Den.

---

DH

You may need to get the XP version of the driver for your modem.

"Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blc8md$d6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I decided to upgrade my
> operating system from ME to XP. I successfully loaded XP, but when I tried
> to connect to the internet using one of my dial up connections, I was

unable
> to do this. I put in my username and password in correctly, but when I
> clicked on 'connect', nothing happened. I am using a HSP56 MR modem (or so
> it says in the device manager). If you are wondering how I connected up to
> send this post, I hastily unistalled XP, and am now back to ME with no
> problems!
>
> What went wrong?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance,
>
> Den.
>

> ---

Patrick

Den wrote:
> Hello all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I decided to upgrade my
> operating system from ME to XP. I successfully loaded XP, but when I
> tried to connect to the internet using one of my dial up connections,
> I was unable to do this. I put in my username and password in
> correctly, but when I clicked on 'connect', nothing happened. I am
> using a HSP56 MR modem (or so it says in the device manager). If you
> are wondering how I connected up to send this post, I hastily
> unistalled XP, and am now back to ME with no problems!
>
> What went wrong?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance,
>
> Den.

[out of date AVG signature SNIPPED]

You need an XP driver for the Modem.
Do you know the make (PCTel !)
Is it an AMR or a CNR ?

I have three different ones;
pctelamr-w2k.zip 971KB this works on my PCTel-modem, PCChips-mobo
amrcnr.zip 6,575KB this as you see is for AMR or CNR modems (types of
fitting)
amrxp.zip 668KB this dosen't work on my machine.

Goto to the site of the mobo-manufacturer;

Heres a link to PCTel, I don't know type so you'll have to figure which;
http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/companies/10/801.htm

Another link; http://www.driverguide.com/

Or if your 'mobo' is PCChips;
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/driver/driver.asp?module_id=4

Boomer

Den wrote:

> Hello all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I decided to upgrade
> my operating system from ME to XP. I successfully loaded XP, but
> when I tried to connect to the internet using one of my dial up
> connections, I was unable to do this. I put in my username and
> password in correctly, but when I clicked on 'connect', nothing
> happened. I am using a HSP56 MR modem (or so it says in the
> device manager). If you are wondering how I connected up to send
> this post, I hastily unistalled XP, and am now back to ME with
> no problems!
>
> What went wrong?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance,
>
> Den.

[snip sig]

Maybe a clue here?

Troubleshoot Windows XP Setup Problems When You Upgrade from
Windows 98 or Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/directo....asp?ID=KB;EN-
US;Q310064&
Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup