Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HTML question concerning spaces in filename/directory

HTML question concerning spaces in filename/directory

Edison Carter

Got a question.

A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said
it worked fine for him and he had someone else try it and it worked,
but i had someone try and it 404'd for them also..

the thumbnail was linked to a jpg with spaces in the directory and
filename.. i know that has to be the problem, but whats the cause.?

I heard it can be that some browsers can add a %20 properly, and some
cant, im curious to this info as to what browsers this can ocour on.,
thanks.

Bebop & Rocksteady

> A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
> larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said
> it worked fine for him and he had someone else try it and it worked,
> but i had someone try and it 404'd for them also..
>
> the thumbnail was linked to a jpg with spaces in the directory and
> filename.. i know that has to be the problem, but whats the cause.?
>
> I heard it can be that some browsers can add a %20 properly, and some
> cant, im curious to this info as to what browsers this can ocour on.,
> thanks.

It is easier if you don't put spaces in file names... use the under score _
instead.

Its not just the browser but also the server.... ie Windows and Linux
servers handle that differently

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

why?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 06:50:28 GMT, Edison Carter wrote:

>Got a question.
>
>A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
>larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said

<snip>
>the thumbnail was linked to a jpg with spaces in the directory and
>filename.. i know that has to be the problem, but whats the cause.?
>
>I heard it can be that some browsers can add a %20 properly, and some
>cant, im curious to this info as to what browsers this can ocour on.,
>thanks.

A bit tricky without the URL to try in the multiple browsers here.
Otherwise had no problems.

Saying that it's safer to avoid
spaces
_ - underscore
AFilenameLikeThis

Depends what's going on, it's a path / filename generated from a
database then the text forming the URL needs encoded (for spaces and
other characters) .

A bit of a long read (there may well be a newer version)
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
Abstract

This document specifies a Uniform Resource Locator (URL), the syntax
and semantics of formalized information for location and access of
resources via the Internet.

You will most likely find allowed URL characters are more limited than
HTTP (I think I mean it that way around) so the rules are a bit more
strict. But some browsers may well relax the rule/spec and allow a wider
range of characters.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt
3.2.3 URI Comparison

Me

Brian H

Edison Carter said:

> Got a question.
>
> A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
> larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said
> it worked fine for him and he had someone else try it and it worked,
> but i had someone try and it 404'd for them also..

IE shouldn't be a problem, and I found that it was only a problem when people
used Nutscrape.
As you don't give a URL or example of his html, I can only guess that he may
possibly not be surrounding links withdouble-quotes when a file name contains
space.