Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hard drive circuit board

hard drive circuit board

Yellow Submarine

I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's circuit
board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it backed up and I'd
really like to get it running just long enough to copy it.

It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.

I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if anyone
here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and whether
swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of working.

--
YS

Robert Larson

A friend of mine did that a while ago on an old scsi drive and it worked for
about 2 years. He made $700 on the job because the legal person that he was
doing the work for needed all his court documents....

I would say that if you got the same model number, you might have a
chance....MIGHT...hehe..

"Yellow Submarine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wn1eb.12761$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's

circuit
> board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it backed up and I'd
> really like to get it running just long enough to copy it.
>
> It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.
>
> I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if anyone
> here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and whether
> swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of working.
>
> --
> YS

philo

"Yellow Submarine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wn1eb.12761$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's

circuit
> board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it backed up and I'd
> really like to get it running just long enough to copy it.
>
> It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.
>
> I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if anyone
> here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and whether
> swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of working.
>
> --
> YS

it's worth a try
there are only about 6 screws or so holding it...
with a bit of reasonable caution you can do it

Yellow Submarine

news:blaa5b$9v094$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de
> "Yellow Submarine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wn1eb.12761$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's
>> circuit board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it
>> backed up and I'd really like to get it running just long enough to
>> copy it.
>>
>> It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.
>>
>> I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if
>> anyone here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and
>> whether swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of
>> working.
>>
>> --
>> YS
>>

> it's worth a try
> there are only about 6 screws or so holding it...
> with a bit of reasonable caution you can do it

Thanks to you and Robert, and anyone else who may offer advice. I just
bought a replacement drive for $14.50 so it's definitely worth a shot.

If this works out it'll save me a lot of trouble.
--
YS

Robert Larson

No Problem.

"Yellow Submarine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9x4eb.12887$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blaa5b$9v094$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de
> > "Yellow Submarine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:wn1eb.12761$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's
> >> circuit board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it
> >> backed up and I'd really like to get it running just long enough to
> >> copy it.
> >>
> >> It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.
> >>
> >> I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if
> >> anyone here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and
> >> whether swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of
> >> working.
> >>
> >> --
> >> YS
> >>

> > it's worth a try
> > there are only about 6 screws or so holding it...
> > with a bit of reasonable caution you can do it

> Thanks to you and Robert, and anyone else who may offer advice. I just
> bought a replacement drive for $14.50 so it's definitely worth a shot.
>
> If this works out it'll save me a lot of trouble.
> --
> YS

leon2046 leon2046 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's circuit
board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it backed up and I'd
really like to get it running just long enough to copy it.

It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.

I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if anyone
here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and whether
swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of working.

--
YS
Though this is an old post but i am interested to reply you.

I am a newcomer to the hard disk maintenance, but i can suggest you to refer to: hddzone.com/conditions.html

You can provide them your following details:

Main Controller IC:
Motor Combo IC:

good luck!