Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pinging Local Network

Pinging Local Network

Kimball K Kinnison

Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP machines,
Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and embedded linux device.
Most of the IP addresses are provided by my DCHP server but some (like the
eLinux) device has to be added manually and it is getting difficult to keep
a track of what to give it. What I am after is a simple ping like program
that will ping the entire network ad report all the IP address in use.

Many thanx

ilmc

In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:
> Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
> addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP
> machines, Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and
> embedded linux device. Most of the IP addresses are provided by my
> DCHP server but some (like the eLinux) device has to be added
> manually and it is getting difficult to keep a track of what to give
> it. What I am after is a simple ping like program that will ping the
> entire network ad report all the IP address in use.
>
> Many thanx

I dom't know of such software, but I'm sure it exists.
My DCHP server is set to reserve a block of local IP addresses for things I
want fixed, and the its only a matter of typing the fixed IPs into a spread
sheet so I don't forget.
HTH

Kimball K Kinnison

"ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message
news:3f7855e2$0$240$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
> Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:
> > Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
> > addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP
> > machines, Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and
> > embedded linux device. Most of the IP addresses are provided by my
> > DCHP server but some (like the eLinux) device has to be added
> > manually and it is getting difficult to keep a track of what to give
> > it. What I am after is a simple ping like program that will ping the
> > entire network ad report all the IP address in use.
> >
> > Many thanx

> I dom't know of such software, but I'm sure it exists.
> My DCHP server is set to reserve a block of local IP addresses for things

> want fixed, and the its only a matter of typing the fixed IPs into a

spread
> sheet so I don't forget.
> HTH

Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made to
reserve a block of local IP addresses>

Rob B

Sysmon.

It's a unix app that one of the guys I worked with developed.
http://www.sysmon.org/

It can ping, ping http, ...

"Kimball K Kinnison" <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bl9if7$9kqoc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
> addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP

machines,
> Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and embedded linux

device.
> Most of the IP addresses are provided by my DCHP server but some (like the
> eLinux) device has to be added manually and it is getting difficult to

keep
> a track of what to give it. What I am after is a simple ping like program
> that will ping the entire network ad report all the IP address in use.
>
> Many thanx

why?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:17:47 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
<nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:

Ah, a sensible name.

>Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
>addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP machines,

You have to at least know the start / end IP. Saves having to ping 1-254
each time.

>Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and embedded linux device.
>Most of the IP addresses are provided by my DCHP server but some (like the
>eLinux) device has to be added manually and it is getting difficult to keep

On my DHCP, router I have fixed 196.168.0.1 + reserve 10 for DHCP then
..12 / .13 / .14 etc are all static. Makes things a bit easier, and so
far there is not more then 10. That's not hard to remember

You said in a later post it's XP Pro, so there is no DHCP lease
reporting tool? Mind you is't most likely linked to some SQL Server
requirement knowning MS.

Have not used XP DHCP yet, can you use M-DHCP, i.e. Manual DHCP. On the
system we use at work (for fixed IP holes in the firewall). you select
the IP/enter hostname MAC and change the DHCP type from D-DHCP to
M-DHCP.

The may be a MS newsgroup for this as well,
have a look at the listing microsoft.public.windowsxp.*
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

Just firing up the XP Pro system, maybe I can find something further if
I have the time.

>a track of what to give it. What I am after is a simple ping like program
>that will ping the entire network ad report all the IP address in use.

Lots of little apps, www.google.com search for 'freeware ping'

On my ISPs tucows mirror
http://tucows.blueyonder.co.uk/monitor95_default.html

There is always a bit of a perl script, I did it outputs the responses
to a webpage with a red/green icon. It's not too large to paste in a
msg. Except you don't get the 2 gifs, make your own.

Me

PJB

> Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box -

can this be made to
> reserve a block of local IP addresses>

Don't think XP Pro has a DHCP server built in, can't find it
if it has Are you sure you're not using 3rd party
software to provide DHCP, or your router perhaps?.
Either way, your DHCP server will be using a "pool" of
addresses, you just need to find out what this pool is. Then
just keep track of addresses you use outside of the pool.

P.

why?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:22:15 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
<nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:

>"ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message
>news:3f7855e2$0$240$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>

>> In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
>> Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:
>> > Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
>> > addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP
>> > machines, Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and

<snip>

>Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made to
>reserve a block of local IP addresses>

DHCP server, native to XP Pro?
Are you using a 3rd party utility?
Is it 169.254 IP addresses?

Me

Kimball K Kinnison

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:22:15 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
> <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >"ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message
> >news:3f7855e2$0$240$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >>

> >> In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
> >> Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:

IP

> <snip>
>

> >Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made

> >reserve a block of local IP addresses>
> >

> DHCP server, native to XP Pro?
> Are you using a 3rd party utility?
> Is it 169.254 IP addresses?
>
> Me

I am using the ICS of the XP Pro Box - all IP addresses are in the range
192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254

why?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:41:35 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
<nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:22:15 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
>> <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >"ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message
>> >news:3f7855e2$0$240$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>IP

>> <snip>
>>

>> >Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made

>> >reserve a block of local IP addresses>
>> >

>> DHCP server, native to XP Pro?
>> Are you using a 3rd party utility?
>> Is it 169.254 IP addresses?
>>
>> Me

>I am using the ICS of the XP Pro Box - all IP addresses are in the range
>192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254

Ok, so it's not really a DHCP server (it's called a DHCP allocator, a
simple service) and it's the ICS IP range not the APIPA one.

I can't enable ICS/DHCP here, would mess up other things.

www.google.com or http://support.microsoft.com look for the PSS ID
numbers.

How to Configure a Static Client for Windows XP Internet Connection
Sharing
PSS ID Number: 309642
Article Last Modified on 8/6/2002

The registry settings look like they live at -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ICSharing

Don't know a way to get the9used IPs) info out, except by one of the
utils from the earlier links for tucows etc.

Me

ilmc

<snip>
Didn't mean to ignore this thread, but had to go home, and then Mrs. was on
the home m/c...
Hope the other guys /guyesses have sorted things