Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Possible Virus or Worm ??

Possible Virus or Worm ??

Razor

I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was not
there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at its
properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says "create
shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"

Could this be a worm or virus?

TIA

P3 800 running Win XP Pro

Brian H¹©

Razor said:

> I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was not
> there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at its
> properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says "create
> shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
> shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"
>
> Could this be a worm or virus?
>
> TIA
>
> P3 800 running Win XP Pro

If the name of the icon is ~ you can safely delete it, as it is just a copy of
your address book, created by a bug in OE when you add people.

Razor

No it looks like a notepad or clipboard icon

Thanks again

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yQWdb.2604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Razor said:
>
> > I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was

not
> > there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at

its
> > properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says

"create
> > shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
> > shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"
> >
> > Could this be a worm or virus?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > P3 800 running Win XP Pro

> If the name of the icon is ~ you can safely delete it, as it is just a

copy of
> your address book, created by a bug in OE when you add people.

Eugene Kent

I have the same problem.
But I run XP Home.
It comes on as a short cut when a name is added to the address book. But I
never use the address book to enter names. It happens when a e-comes in.
Then some e-mails comes into the address book.

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yQWdb.2604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Razor said:
>
> > I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was

not
> > there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at

its
> > properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says

"create
> > shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
> > shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"
> >
> > Could this be a worm or virus?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > P3 800 running Win XP Pro

> If the name of the icon is ~ you can safely delete it, as it is just a

copy of
> your address book, created by a bug in OE when you add people.

°Mike°

What does your antivirus tell you?

How do I delete an 'undeletable' file
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

Disk Management - Delete Undeletable Files
http://www.petri.co.il/delete_undeletable_files.htm

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:52:49 GMT, in
<ROWdb.17258$(E-Mail Removed)>
Razor scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

BananaPannaPoe-

Just delete it.

--
"Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ROWdb.17258$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was not
> there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at

its
> properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says

"create
> shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
> shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"
>
> Could this be a worm or virus?
>
> TIA
>
> P3 800 running Win XP Pro

---

Razor

My AV Prog say everything is fine, No Infection.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What does your antivirus tell you?
>
> How do I delete an 'undeletable' file
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
>
> Disk Management - Delete Undeletable Files
> http://www.petri.co.il/delete_undeletable_files.htm
>

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:52:49 GMT, in
> <ROWdb.17258$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Razor scrawled:
>
> >I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was

not
> >there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at

its
> >properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says

"create
> >shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
> >shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"
> >
> >Could this be a worm or virus?
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >P3 800 running Win XP Pro
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Razor

Well I would if i could do anything with it

"BananaPannaPoe-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lP0eb.39$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just delete it.
>
> --
> "Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ROWdb.17258$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was

not
> > there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at

> its
> > properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says

> "create
> > shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
> > shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"
> >
> > Could this be a worm or virus?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > P3 800 running Win XP Pro
> >

> ---

°Mike°

And did you check the links I gave?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:04:21 GMT, in
<pE4eb.17587$(E-Mail Removed)>
Razor scrawled:

>My AV Prog say everything is fine, No Infection.

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What does your antivirus tell you?
>>
>> How do I delete an 'undeletable' file
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
>>
>> Disk Management - Delete Undeletable Files
>> http://www.petri.co.il/delete_undeletable_files.htm
>>

>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:52:49 GMT, in
>> <ROWdb.17258$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Razor scrawled:
>>
>> >I turned on my PC today and there is a new Icon on my desktop that was

>not
>> >there yesterday, it has no title and I cannot execute it or even look at

>its
>> >properties, when I right click the icon a text box comes up and says

>"create
>> >shortcut" and when I click on this it says "Windows could not create the
>> >shortcut. Check to see if thr disk is full"
>> >
>> >Could this be a worm or virus?
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >
>> >P3 800 running Win XP Pro
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Bryan Henderson

"Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0F4eb.17588$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I would if i could do anything with it

drag it kicking and screaming into the waste bin.....