Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Filemaker Pro 6.0 version 1 taking from 45 minutes to 2 hours to launch?

Re: Filemaker Pro 6.0 version 1 taking from 45 minutes to 2 hours to launch?

Idris Alooma

says...
> I believe the glitch to which you are referring was resolved in the next 5.5
> rev-- probably 5.5v2. In any event, my memory is that it prevented, not
> delayed, launching. A long, but ultimately successful launch is more likely
> due (on Windows) to too many .tmp files, too many fonts installed for
> Filemaker, or a corrupt font. On Win2K (I imagine the process is similar on
> XP), you can remove extaneous .tmp files by running Disk Cleanup:
>
> Programs
> Accessories
> System Tools
> Disk Cleanup
>
> To remove extraneous fonts in Filemaker, in Layout mode select
> 'Configure/More Fonts' from Font in the Format menu, and delete unnecessary
> fonts.

Well John,,,

I read your advice, but since I had already done the "Tools-internet
options- delete cookies and delete files thing in IE6.0 when a female
here suggested that I remove temporary files,I figured I had already
deleted them. The font thing I don't understand at all so I was
reluctant to mess with that.

Anyway a couple of hours ago, I realized that I had went from a full
27Gb drive to a 120 GB drive back in last fall, or early in the spring.
Then I remembered that because I had this huge drive I was no longer
doing the disk maintenance that I was forced to do with the out of space
27 GB drive.

So I began looking around on my hard drive for a program that would
clean up my disk. you suggested one, but for some reason I didn't like
using that one.

so after scanning my hard disk for a few minutes, an alarm went off in
my head that I had Norton systemworks 2003 on my computer. That suite
came with a program called "Clean Sweep"

So after that revelation I opened up Norton systemworks and ran "Clean
Sweep"

It told me after a while that it could remove 276MB of stuff. I noticed
it went immediately to the "find TMP files" and stayed there for about
five minutes cranking away.

It finally finished and asked me to "Clean now" so I did.

Then I clicked on the icon to run FM 6.0. The Filemaker 6.0 screen
snapped up so quickly I almost fell out of the chair. So I sat and
watched it humming away. Finally about 60 to 90 seconds later the second
screen asking me what I wanted to open popped up. It was ready to go.
That is the first time it has opened that fast in months. So obviously
you all were right. I don't know where the TMP files were, but they had
obviously grown to a large size, and were having an effect on FM 6.0

I can definitely live with it taking about 75 seconds to open instead of
75 minutes.

Now if someone will kindly tell me what fonts are necessary. I will
attempt to delete the rest tomorrow. Perhaps that will make it launch
even faster.

A thousand thanks to the two of you who suggested that I remove "TMP
files. (smile) )

I'm as happy as a mouse in a cheese factory now. I'm going to move all
of my dating service information from Access 2002 to FM 6.0 tomorrow.

I read an excellent PC magazine article from January 2003 where they
rated FM the overall best of all the top databases. That's good enough
for me. I know how to use Access, but I find FM to be so much simpler
for the flatfile type work that I do with databases.

And so it goes!

OT: FileMaker Pro 7 Gameboy MCSE 1 04-28-2004 03:59 PM
FileMaker Pro Jim PKP Computer Support 2 09-23-2003 11:36 PM

Advertisments