Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Address Munging with Outlook Express?

Reply
Thread Tools

Address Munging with Outlook Express?

 
 
ripper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do I
need to do?
Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my details in
the email address box.
Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address from
NG postings using this method alone.
TIA


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
ripper said:

> If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do I
> need to do?
> Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my details in
> the email address box.


Yes.

> Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address from
> NG postings using this method alone.


How would they be able to do that?

> TIA



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
Yes, but do it correctly.
http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html


On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:35:25 +0100, in
<RoJdb.267$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>
ripper scrawled:

>If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do I
>need to do?
>Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my details in
>the email address box.
>Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address from
>NG postings using this method alone.
>TIA
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
ripper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal your true
email address.
I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to automatically extract
the message source from NG postings and add the email address to their mass
mailing lists.
"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XpJdb.2214$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ripper said:
>
> > If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do I
> > need to do?
> > Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my details

in
> > the email address box.

>
> Yes.
>
> > Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address

from
> > NG postings using this method alone.

>
> How would they be able to do that?
>
> > TIA

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2003
ripper said:

> By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal your true
> email address.


If that be true, I would imagine that it would be the biggest security breach
possible.
DNS is for domain names, and doesn't locate e-mail addresses other than those
associated to the domain and declared to the registrar, ie admin@ etc.

> I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to automatically extract
> the message source from NG postings and add the email address to their mass
> mailing lists.
> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XpJdb.2214$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ripper said:
>>
>>> If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do I
>>> need to do?
>>> Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my details in
>>> the email address box.

>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address from
>>> NG postings using this method alone.

>>
>> How would they be able to do that?
>>
>>> TIA




 
Reply With Quote
 
lsj7
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
ripper wrote:
> If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what
> do I need to do?
> Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my
> details in the email address box.
> Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address
> from NG postings using this method alone.
> TIA


what's your point?

Path:
bigbe1!bigfeed.bellsouth.net!news.bellsouth.net!pe er01.cox.net!cox.net!newsh
osting.com!news-xfer2.atl.newshosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfee d.fjserv.n
et!nntp.theplanet.net!inewsm1.nntp.theplanet.net!z en.net.uk!landlord!wards.f
orce9.net.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: "ripper" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Address Munging with Outlook Express?
Lines: 9
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
Message-ID: <RoJdb.267$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:35:25 +0100
NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.159.21.74
X-Complaints-To: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
X-Trace: wards.force9.net 1064788657 212.159.21.74 (Sun, 28 Sep 2003
23:37:37 BST)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:37:37 BST
Organization: Customer of PlusNet
Xref: bigfeed.bellsouth.net 24hoursupport.helpdesk:1093833


--
lsj7

"Germany is sheerly swallowed up by the merchants and companies, by
means of usury. Usury lives all secure in Germany, and rages as if he
were God and lord in all lands; no one may oppose him."
_____________Martin Luther



 
Reply With Quote
 
Boomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
ripper wrote:

> By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will
> reveal your true email address.


Whats my true address?

> I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to
> automatically extract the message source from NG postings and
> add the email address to their mass mailing lists.


> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XpJdb.2214$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ripper said:
>>
>> > If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on
>> > NG's, what do I need to do?
>> > Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change
>> > my details

> in
>> > the email address box.

>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> > Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email
>> > address

> from
>> > NG postings using this method alone.

>>
>> How would they be able to do that?
>>
>> > TIA

>>
>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
ripper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
I just tried it. I put a fake email address into DNS search and it found
nothing. I then put the message source into the same and it came up with my
real email address.

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YvKdb.2256$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ripper said:
>
> > By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal your

true
> > email address.

>
> If that be true, I would imagine that it would be the biggest security

breach
> possible.
> DNS is for domain names, and doesn't locate e-mail addresses other than

those
> associated to the domain and declared to the registrar, ie admin@ etc.
>
> > I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to automatically

extract
> > the message source from NG postings and add the email address to their

mass
> > mailing lists.
> > "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:XpJdb.2214$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> ripper said:
> >>
> >>> If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do

I
> >>> need to do?
> >>> Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my

details in
> >>> the email address box.
> >>
> >> Yes.
> >>
> >>> Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address

from
> >>> NG postings using this method alone.
> >>
> >> How would they be able to do that?
> >>
> >>> TIA

>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
ripper said:

> I just tried it. I put a fake email address into DNS search and it found
> nothing. I then put the message source into the same and it came up with my
> real email address.


Blimey, you did a search using your real email address and came up with your
real email address, where a search using a fake address came up with nothing.
Brilliant.
But pray tell, how *does* a DNS Whois search manage to find an address in a
newsgroup post, when DNS Whois searches are for domain names?

>
> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YvKdb.2256$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ripper said:
>>
>>> By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal your true
>>> email address.

>>
>> If that be true, I would imagine that it would be the biggest security breach
>> possible.
>> DNS is for domain names, and doesn't locate e-mail addresses other than those
>> associated to the domain and declared to the registrar, ie admin@ etc.
>>
>>> I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to automatically extract
>>> the message source from NG postings and add the email address to their mass
>>> mailing lists.
>>> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:XpJdb.2214$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> ripper said:
>>>>
>>>>> If I want to mung my email address purely for posting on NG's, what do I
>>>>> need to do?
>>>>> Is it as simple as Tools/Accounts/News/Properties and change my details in
>>>>> the email address box.
>>>>
>>>> Yes.
>>>>
>>>>> Surely it would be very easy for a spammer to find real email address from
>>>>> NG postings using this method alone.
>>>>
>>>> How would they be able to do that?
>>>>
>>>>> TIA




 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
ripper wrote:

> By simply putting the message source into a DNS search will reveal
> your true
> email address.


Can't be done that way. They may be able to validate a domain name, but not
a valid workable full addy.
There are, however, other methods to do that.
Which is why AOL sucks and so does hotmail.



> I am sure that spammers have the necessary tools to automatically
> extract
> the message source from NG postings and add the email address to their
> mass
> mailing lists.


Yes. It's called a "sniffer".
Many times they just harvest what they can find. An automated program sends
out e-mail without any verification.
If it bounces, they don't care, their return mail is fake too.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Additional Information on E-mail Address Munging me Computer Support 9 03-07-2004 01:29 PM
More on MUNGING E-MAIL ADDRESS Earl Brant Computer Support 2 03-05-2004 09:32 AM
Munging e-mail address Earl Brant Computer Support 3 03-04-2004 07:20 AM
Munging address with news.individual.net Gordon Burgess-Parker Computer Support 10 10-01-2003 10:31 PM
Munging email address for News.CIS.DFN.DE John Stubbs Computer Support 21 10-01-2003 12:58 AM



Advertisments