Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Running out of memory

Running out of memory

NYangel

Running Win98, am running out of memory, is there a program I can use to
safely clear the memory and programs I don't need??.....as always thanx.

trout

NYangel wrote:

> Running Win98, am running out of memory, is there a program I can use
> to safely clear the memory and programs I don't need??.....as always
> thanx.

*Always* go to Add/Remove programs, in the Control Panel first; to
properly uninstall programs that you don't use/need.
HD Valet, and jv16powertools are good programs to clean things up.
Available at Mike's page.
°Mike°'s Basic computer maintenance:
<http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html>
--
"Along with other useful tips."

Ron Martell

"NYangel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Running Win98, am running out of memory, is there a program I can use to
>safely clear the memory and programs I don't need??.....as always thanx.

Genuine "out of memory" errors or problems in Windows 95/98/Me have
only two possible causes:

1. The hard drive is full, thereby preventing Windows from creating
the necessary virtual memory swap file space needed to meet the total
memory requirements of the computer.

2. A maximum size limit has been placed on the virtual memory swap
file, thereby artificially creating the same problem as a full hard
drive.

However there are numerous known instances where false "out of memory"
messages can be produced. It is also quite common for people to
mistakenly associated problems or warning messages regarding System
Resources as being related to RAM memory when in fact they are not.

So if you can provide some specific details, including the verbatim
text of any associated error or warning messages, regarding your
"running out of memory" problems then it should be possible to give
you some specific advice as to how to remedy the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

NYangel

Thanx for your response.....The file download dialogue box just idles for
ever, I get no estimated time left, no download to:, no transferring
rate.....Note: I don't get any , out of memory message,

news:(E-Mail Removed)...