Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Size of similar messages in Outlook Express is ballooning

Size of similar messages in Outlook Express is ballooning

Ima Goodlay

Over a period of 6 months I composed and sent hundreds of messages,
all with similar content and all with a file size between 40 and 60K
including a 30K attachment.

A month ago the file size doubled to 100K although the message and
attachment remained the same. Two weeks ago the file size rose to 200K
and today my simple messages and attachment are 730K.

The content of the messages has been the same for 7 months and the
Word Doc attachment has remained virtually unchanged.

I have ran scan disk, defrag, and 3 virus checkers. I received perhaps
20 MS patch viruses over the last month; none were opened, all were
trashed on receipt. I updated the real security patches from Microsoft
on a timely basis. I use AVG and scan for viruses daily; updates are
checked for daily.

I've visited http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ and surfed the Internet
including Google for a fix and I continue to surf.

I have Win XP Pro and Outlook Express 6.

I am posting this message in 2 news groups -
24hoursupport.helpdesk
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ima

-----

Jammer

Ima Goodlay wrote:
> Over a period of 6 months I composed and sent hundreds of messages,
> all with similar content and all with a file size between 40 and 60K
> including a 30K attachment.
>
> A month ago the file size doubled to 100K although the message and
> attachment remained the same. Two weeks ago the file size rose to 200K
> and today my simple messages and attachment are 730K.
>
> The content of the messages has been the same for 7 months and the
> Word Doc attachment has remained virtually unchanged.
>
> I have ran scan disk, defrag, and 3 virus checkers. I received perhaps
> 20 MS patch viruses over the last month; none were opened, all were
> trashed on receipt. I updated the real security patches from Microsoft
> on a timely basis. I use AVG and scan for viruses daily; updates are
> checked for daily.
>
> I've visited http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ and surfed the Internet
> including Google for a fix and I continue to surf.
>
> I have Win XP Pro and Outlook Express 6.
>
> I am posting this message in 2 news groups -
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> Ima
>
> -----

Liz

Open Word, on the Tools menu> click Options> Save tab>
Uncheck the box "Allow fast saves"> OK.
Save the document and the file should now shrink in size.

When you enabled "Allow fast saves", Word will now save the
document from the original file size. Word saved your changes
to the end of your existing document, this resulted the size increase.

"Ima Goodlay" wrote
> Over a period of 6 months I composed and sent hundreds of messages,
> all with similar content and all with a file size between 40 and 60K
> including a 30K attachment.
>
> A month ago the file size doubled to 100K although the message and
> attachment remained the same. Two weeks ago the file size rose to 200K
> and today my simple messages and attachment are 730K.
>
> The content of the messages has been the same for 7 months and the
> Word Doc attachment has remained virtually unchanged.
>
> I have ran scan disk, defrag, and 3 virus checkers. I received perhaps
> 20 MS patch viruses over the last month; none were opened, all were
> trashed on receipt. I updated the real security patches from Microsoft
> on a timely basis. I use AVG and scan for viruses daily; updates are
> checked for daily.
>
> I've visited http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ and surfed the Internet
> including Google for a fix and I continue to surf.
>
> I have Win XP Pro and Outlook Express 6.
>
> I am posting this message in 2 news groups -
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> Ima
>
> -----

Ima Goodlay

I looked and the "Allow fast saves" box was not checked. The problem
is with the message. It is 700K. When the Doc is attached the total
size is 730K.

Ima

-----

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:31:44 GMT, "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Open Word, on the Tools menu> click Options> Save tab>
>Uncheck the box "Allow fast saves"> OK.
>Save the document and the file should now shrink in size.
>
>When you enabled "Allow fast saves", Word will now save the
>document from the original file size. Word saved your changes
>to the end of your existing document, this resulted the size increase.
>

>"Ima Goodlay" wrote
>> Over a period of 6 months I composed and sent hundreds of messages,
>> all with similar content and all with a file size between 40 and 60K
>> including a 30K attachment.
>>
>> A month ago the file size doubled to 100K although the message and
>> attachment remained the same. Two weeks ago the file size rose to 200K
>> and today my simple messages and attachment are 730K.
>>
>> The content of the messages has been the same for 7 months and the
>> Word Doc attachment has remained virtually unchanged.
>>
>> I have ran scan disk, defrag, and 3 virus checkers. I received perhaps
>> 20 MS patch viruses over the last month; none were opened, all were
>> trashed on receipt. I updated the real security patches from Microsoft
>> on a timely basis. I use AVG and scan for viruses daily; updates are
>> checked for daily.
>>
>> I've visited http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ and surfed the Internet
>> including Google for a fix and I continue to surf.
>>
>> I have Win XP Pro and Outlook Express 6.
>>
>> I am posting this message in 2 news groups -
>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>>
>> Ima
>>
>> -----

Liz

"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Open Word, on the Tools menu> click Options> Save tab>
> Uncheck the box "Allow fast saves"> OK.
> Save the document and the file should now shrink in size.
>
> When you enabled "Allow fast saves", Word will now save the

^^^^^^^^^^
Correction: I mean Will Not

> document from the original file size. Word saved your changes
> to the end of your existing document, this resulted the size increase.
>

> "Ima Goodlay" wrote
> > Over a period of 6 months I composed and sent hundreds of messages,
> > all with similar content and all with a file size between 40 and 60K
> > including a 30K attachment.
> >
> > A month ago the file size doubled to 100K although the message and
> > attachment remained the same. Two weeks ago the file size rose to 200K
> > and today my simple messages and attachment are 730K.
> >
> > The content of the messages has been the same for 7 months and the
> > Word Doc attachment has remained virtually unchanged.
> >
> > I have ran scan disk, defrag, and 3 virus checkers. I received perhaps
> > 20 MS patch viruses over the last month; none were opened, all were
> > trashed on receipt. I updated the real security patches from Microsoft
> > on a timely basis. I use AVG and scan for viruses daily; updates are
> > checked for daily.
> >
> > I've visited http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ and surfed the Internet
> > including Google for a fix and I continue to surf.
> >
> > I have Win XP Pro and Outlook Express 6.
> >
> > I am posting this message in 2 news groups -
> > 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can give me.
> >
> > Ima
> >
> > -----

Liz

Did you compose your message using Word?
Try cut & paste the message to a new document
excluding the "Carriage Return". See if this helps.

"Ima Goodlay" wrote
> I looked and the "Allow fast saves" box was not checked. The problem
> is with the message. It is 700K. When the Doc is attached the total
> size is 730K.
>
> Ima
>
> -----
>
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:31:44 GMT, "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Open Word, on the Tools menu> click Options> Save tab>
> >Uncheck the box "Allow fast saves"> OK.
> >Save the document and the file should now shrink in size.
> >
> >When you enabled "Allow fast saves", Word will now save the
> >document from the original file size. Word saved your changes
> >to the end of your existing document, this resulted the size increase.
> >

> >"Ima Goodlay" wrote
> >> Over a period of 6 months I composed and sent hundreds of messages,
> >> all with similar content and all with a file size between 40 and 60K
> >> including a 30K attachment.
> >>
> >> A month ago the file size doubled to 100K although the message and
> >> attachment remained the same. Two weeks ago the file size rose to 200K
> >> and today my simple messages and attachment are 730K.
> >>
> >> The content of the messages has been the same for 7 months and the
> >> Word Doc attachment has remained virtually unchanged.
> >>
> >> I have ran scan disk, defrag, and 3 virus checkers. I received perhaps
> >> 20 MS patch viruses over the last month; none were opened, all were
> >> trashed on receipt. I updated the real security patches from Microsoft
> >> on a timely basis. I use AVG and scan for viruses daily; updates are
> >> checked for daily.
> >>
> >> I've visited http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ and surfed the Internet
> >> including Google for a fix and I continue to surf.
> >>
> >> I have Win XP Pro and Outlook Express 6.
> >>
> >> I am posting this message in 2 news groups -
> >> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> >> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help you can give me.
> >>
> >> Ima
> >>
> >> -----

Ima Goodlay

Yes, I think that is a solution. Still testing it and will get back to
you later. Thank you.

Ima

-----

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:57:10 GMT, "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Did you compose your message using Word?
>Try cut & paste the message to a new document
>excluding the "Carriage Return". See if this helps.
>

>"Ima Goodlay" wrote
>> I looked and the "Allow fast saves" box was not checked. The problem
>> is with the message. It is 700K. When the Doc is attached the total
>> size is 730K.
>>
>> Ima
>>
>> -----
>>
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:31:44 GMT, "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Open Word, on the Tools menu> click Options> Save tab>
>> >Uncheck the box "Allow fast saves"> OK.
>> >Save the document and the file should now shrink in size.
>> >
>> >When you enabled "Allow fast saves", Word will now save the
>> >document from the original file size. Word saved your changes
>> >to the end of your existing document, this resulted the size increase.
>> >

>> >"Ima Goodlay" wrote

Mike Calkins

It still could be a virus.... Microsoft Office products have longed been
plagued by 'macro' viruses. Check on www.microsoft.com and search on macro
virus.

Mike

"Ima Goodlay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I think that is a solution. Still testing it and will get back to
> you later. Thank you.
>
> Ima
>
> -----
>
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:57:10 GMT, "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Did you compose your message using Word?
> >Try cut & paste the message to a new document
> >excluding the "Carriage Return". See if this helps.
> >

> >"Ima Goodlay" wrote
> >> I looked and the "Allow fast saves" box was not checked. The problem
> >> is with the message. It is 700K. When the Doc is attached the total
> >> size is 730K.
> >>
> >> Ima
> >>
> >> -----

200K

perhaps

Microsoft

Liz

My pleasure, Ima. I hope it got sorted out already.

By the way, if you are concerned about virii, here is
an article on avoiding macro viruses.
http://www.sans.org/resources/macro.htm

"Ima Goodlay" wrote:
> Yes, I think that is a solution. Still testing it and will get back to
> you later. Thank you.
>
> Ima
>
> -----
>
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:57:10 GMT, "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Did you compose your message using Word?
> >Try cut & paste the message to a new document
> >excluding the "Carriage Return". See if this helps.
> >

> >"Ima Goodlay" wrote
> >> I looked and the "Allow fast saves" box was not checked. The problem
> >> is with the message. It is 700K. When the Doc is attached the total
> >> size is 730K.
> >>
> >> Ima
> >>
> >> -----

Ima Goodlay

I quit pasting from Word and the file size is back to normal.

Thanks!

Ima

-----.