Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > re trojan

re trojan

ivan clough

Hi,
I haven't posted on here before.
I running win 98, and have avg 6.0 , spybot. and adaware,
all running on my pc.
I also have a trojan virus.
What does a trojan do? andhow can I get rid of it?
Help please.
TIA
Ivan

Jammer

http://www.whatis.com
http://www.symantec.com
http://www.moosoft.com

ivan clough wrote:
> Hi,
> I haven't posted on here before.
> I running win 98, and have avg 6.0 , spybot. and adaware,
> all running on my pc.
> I also have a trojan virus.
> What does a trojan do? andhow can I get rid of it?
> Help please.
> TIA
> Ivan

Ionizer

A Trojan will attempt to make contact with the miscreants who created it, so
that they can have access to your computer for various nefarious purposes.
You've identified this Trojan, presumably with your AVG. AVG should tell
you the name of the Trojan- you can do a search of the AVG site or here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ools.list.html to see if a
removal tool exists for it. If not, you may need to rely on AVG to "fix" or
otherwise remove it.

Regards,
Ian.

"ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl72h9$va4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I haven't posted on here before.
> I running win 98, and have avg 6.0 , spybot. and adaware,
> all running on my pc.
> I also have a trojan virus.
> What does a trojan do? andhow can I get rid of it?
> Help please.
> TIA
> Ivan

ivan clough

Hi.
Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
trojan.
Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?
TIA
"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl75gb$8m4vp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> A Trojan will attempt to make contact with the miscreants who created it,

so
> that they can have access to your computer for various nefarious purposes.
> You've identified this Trojan, presumably with your AVG. AVG should tell
> you the name of the Trojan- you can do a search of the AVG site or here:
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ools.list.html to see if a
> removal tool exists for it. If not, you may need to rely on AVG to "fix"

or
> otherwise remove it.
>
> Regards,
> Ian.
>
> "ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl72h9$va4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I haven't posted on here before.
> > I running win 98, and have avg 6.0 , spybot. and adaware,
> > all running on my pc.
> > I also have a trojan virus.
> > What does a trojan do? andhow can I get rid of it?
> > Help please.
> > TIA
> > Ivan

Ionizer

"ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl76sr$o2v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
> trojan.
> Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?
> TIA

Yes. Right this minute, in fact. Sygate, Kerio and ZoneLabs offer
free-for-personal-use software firewalls which intercept both incoming AND
outgoing transmissions. It's the interception of outgoing that blocks
Trojans if you've inadvertently installed one.

You don't have a firewall right now. Go here and click on "ShieldsUP!"
http://grc.com/intro.htm It will quickly and benignly scan your connection
and tell you just how vulnerable you are at this moment. Then install one
of those free firewalls and re-visit ShieldsUP to see the difference.

Regards,
Ian.

trout

ivan clough wrote:

> Hi.
> Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
> trojan.
> Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?

I'd also suggest you get Spyware Blaster:
<http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>
(and keep it up-to-date), to help prevent the sneaky installations.

Also, don't start a new subject line with "re:". This makes it look
like a reply (which have it automatically added by the news-client).

> TIA
> "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl75gb$8m4vp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> A Trojan will attempt to make contact with the miscreants who
>> created it, so that they can have access to your computer for
>> various nefarious purposes. You've identified this Trojan,
>> presumably with your AVG. AVG should tell you the name of the
>> Trojan- you can do a search of the AVG site or here:
>> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ools.list.html to see
>> if a removal tool exists for it. If not, you may need to rely on
>> AVG to "fix" or otherwise remove it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ian.
>>
>> "ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bl72h9$va4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> I haven't posted on here before.
>>> I running win 98, and have avg 6.0 , spybot. and adaware,
>>> all running on my pc.
>>> I also have a trojan virus.
>>> What does a trojan do? andhow can I get rid of it?
>>> Help please.
>>> TIA
>>> Ivan

ivan clough

Thanks guys. Will do as you suggest.
Cheers
Ivan

news:bl7af6$8pm7k$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> ivan clough wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
> > trojan.
> > Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?

> I'd also suggest you get Spyware Blaster:
> <http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>
> (and keep it up-to-date), to help prevent the sneaky installations.
>
> Also, don't start a new subject line with "re:". This makes it look
> like a reply (which have it automatically added by the news-client).
>

> > TIA
> > "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bl75gb$8m4vp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >> A Trojan will attempt to make contact with the miscreants who
> >> created it, so that they can have access to your computer for
> >> various nefarious purposes. You've identified this Trojan,
> >> presumably with your AVG. AVG should tell you the name of the
> >> Trojan- you can do a search of the AVG site or here:
> >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ools.list.html to see
> >> if a removal tool exists for it. If not, you may need to rely on
> >> AVG to "fix" or otherwise remove it.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ian.
> >>
> >> "ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:bl72h9$va4$(E-Mail Removed)...

ivan clough

Hi.
I ran Shields Up, and to my surprise it gave my pc a very
high security clearance!!!!!!!
Perhaps because I dont use file sharing.
Anyway, I have downloaded ZA and installed it. Spyblaster is next.
I cannot remember if I should top or bottom post???
Thanks
Ivan

news:bl7af6$8pm7k$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> ivan clough wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
> > trojan.
> > Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?

> I'd also suggest you get Spyware Blaster:
> <http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>
> (and keep it up-to-date), to help prevent the sneaky installations.
>
> Also, don't start a new subject line with "re:". This makes it look
> like a reply (which have it automatically added by the news-client).
>

> > TIA
> > "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bl75gb$8m4vp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >> A Trojan will attempt to make contact with the miscreants who
> >> created it, so that they can have access to your computer for
> >> various nefarious purposes. You've identified this Trojan,
> >> presumably with your AVG. AVG should tell you the name of the
> >> Trojan- you can do a search of the AVG site or here:
> >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ools.list.html to see
> >> if a removal tool exists for it. If not, you may need to rely on
> >> AVG to "fix" or otherwise remove it.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ian.
> >>
> >> "ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:bl72h9$va4$(E-Mail Removed)...

Petit Alexi

"ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:blbqr8$rtq$1
@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

> I cannot remember if I should top or bottom post???

Are you asking for advice on a clear easy to read posting style, or are you
asking what the rules are for this group?

For this group you can post how you like, even if it makes you look like a
mouth breathing knuckle dragging crack smoking brain damaged chimp.
(Indeed, that would make you a respected reg in this group.)

Posting in-line, snipping anything not relevant to your reply, keeping the
attribs intact, putting a blank line between the quoted text and your
reply, and making sure the quoted text is wrapped properly with the proper
quantity of quote indicators will all make you posts easier to read.

Blind people using screen readers can use newsreaders that skip quoted
text, meaning they can quickly get to the new text. Thick people can see
your points, and the points that you're replying to. Clever people will
not hate you for top-posting-like-a-luser.

Your choice, post sensibly or post like a dozy blumpkin.

trout

Petit Alexi wrote:

> "ivan clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:blbqr8$rtq$1
> @newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
>> I cannot remember if I should top or bottom post???

> Are you asking for advice on a clear easy to read posting style, or
> are you asking what the rules are for this group?
>
> For this group you can post how you like, even if it makes you look
> like a mouth breathing knuckle dragging crack smoking brain damaged
> chimp. (Indeed, that would make you a respected reg in this group.)
>
> Posting in-line, snipping anything not relevant to your reply,
> keeping the attribs intact, putting a blank line between the quoted
> text and your reply, and making sure the quoted text is wrapped
> properly with the proper quantity of quote indicators will all make
> you posts easier to read.
>
> Blind people using screen readers can use newsreaders that skip quoted
> text, meaning they can quickly get to the new text. Thick people can
> see your points, and the points that you're replying to. Clever
> people will not hate you for top-posting-like-a-luser.
>
> Your choice, post sensibly or post like a dozy blumpkin.

So, you have no personal preference, then.
--
"Is that a FAQ in your pocket; or were you just happy to see the
question?"