Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No internet connection with my RH9 through Router

No internet connection with my RH9 through Router

JoEyCrAcK

I have a Linksys Router. I have two laptops, One is running Win2K and the
other Red Hat 9. When connected to the Router the only machine that I could
connect to the internet with is my Win2K machine. If I take the cable out
from the Router and just connect from the DSL modem (Westell) directly to my
RH9 machine then it connects to the internet. Can I get some help on
configuring my RH9 machine so it could work with the Router just like my
Win2K machine?

Thanks

US Administrator

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:58:47 +0000, JoEyCrAcK wrote:

> I have a Linksys Router. I have two laptops, One is running Win2K and
> the other Red Hat 9. When connected to the Router the only machine that
> I could connect to the internet with is my Win2K machine. If I take the
> cable out from the Router and just connect from the DSL modem (Westell)
> directly to my RH9 machine then it connects to the internet. Can I get
> some help on configuring my RH9 machine so it could work with the Router
> just like my Win2K machine?
>
> Thanks

Make sure your DHCP client in RH9 is running.

In the GUI desktop go to the start menu (little red hat) and click on

System Settings then scroll down to Network.

A panel will pop up showing your ethernet adaptor aka eth0. Click on the
Edit icon above and make sure that "Automatic Obtain IP Address Setting
With DHCP" has been selected.

Not sure if you had to specify manual IP settings for your DSL provider or
not but if that's the case, this could explain why the RH9 lap won't work
behind the router.

Meat-Plow

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:58:47 +0000, JoEyCrAcK wrote:

> I have a Linksys Router. I have two laptops, One is running Win2K and the
> other Red Hat 9. When connected to the Router the only machine that I could
> connect to the internet with is my Win2K machine. If I take the cable out
> from the Router and just connect from the DSL modem (Westell) directly to my
> RH9 machine then it connects to the internet. Can I get some help on
> configuring my RH9 machine so it could work with the Router just like my
> Win2K machine?
>
> Thanks

Oh and you'll have to stop and restart your interface services for the
change to take effect.

stop = ifdown eth0 (or whatever the numeric value of your device is)

restart = ifup eth0

You need to issues those command lines from a terminal and you'll need to
be root or su -l root and give root's password.

JoEyCrAcK

Hey,

My DHCP is running. a lot of people have told me this and its being running.

I opened up a Terminal and ran the command

stop = ifdown eth0 // command not found
restart = ifup eth0 // command not found

and that's the same numeric value that I have for my device.

"Meat-Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:58:47 +0000, JoEyCrAcK wrote:
>
> > I have a Linksys Router. I have two laptops, One is running Win2K and

the
> > other Red Hat 9. When connected to the Router the only machine that I

could
> > connect to the internet with is my Win2K machine. If I take the cable

out
> > from the Router and just connect from the DSL modem (Westell) directly

to my
> > RH9 machine then it connects to the internet. Can I get some help on
> > configuring my RH9 machine so it could work with the Router just like my
> > Win2K machine?
> >
> > Thanks

> Oh and you'll have to stop and restart your interface services for the
> change to take effect.
>
> stop = ifdown eth0 (or whatever the numeric value of your device is)
>
> restart = ifup eth0
>
> You need to issues those command lines from a terminal and you'll need to
> be root or su -l root and give root's password.

Meat-->Plow

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:10:15 GMT, "JoEyCrAcK" <(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>Hey,
>
>My DHCP is running. a lot of people have told me this and its being running.
>
>I opened up a Terminal and ran the command
>
>stop = ifdown eth0 // command not found
>restart = ifup eth0 // command not found
>
>and that's the same numeric value that I have for my device.

You need to be root to have the path to the ifup/down sbins. Or su -l root.

Can you ping the router ? Do you have an ip address in the LAN's subnet?

I need to know if the router is configuring your network services.

I want to upgrade my GCC to 4.1 from 3.2.2 on RH9, what do I need to install on RH9 with no 4.1 to run? g35rider@gmail.com C++ 1 09-28-2006 09:38 PM
Runtime.exec() problem (jdk1.3.1+rh7, jdk1.4.2+rh9) Michal M Java 7 08-02-2005 07:37 AM
c++ code not compiling in RH9 mike C++ 4 10-02-2003 05:50 PM
RH9 Ethernet/Internet Not Working Howard NZ Computing 5 09-10-2003 10:05 AM
Anybody have experience with xalan on RH9? Jeroen N. Witmond XML 0 07-15-2003 05:07 PM

Advertisments