Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "TCP_Probe_Other"---alot of new attacks???

"TCP_Probe_Other"---alot of new attacks???

jmnugent

I came home from being gone since yesterday afternoon and noticed that my
firewall is reporting a very large spike in "TCP_Probe_Other" attacks.
Probably about 500 in the past 12hours....seems to be a unusually large
amount to me, my firewall logs dont typically look like this unless there is
some new attack going around

Anyone else notice anything strange??...for what its worth, I'm on Comcast
in Colorado.

--jmnugent

°Mike°

Only 500 in 12 hours is nothing. Forget about it, and let your
firewall get on with it's job.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:21:57 GMT, in
<pYodb.601795$Ho3.118016@sccrnsc03>
jmnugent scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Juan Pérez

Read this page and concerning your "issue", calm yourself.
http://tinyurl.com/ox8z

I'd like to give you another helpful clue. Never post binaries blah blah
bla...you wrote that you understand that rule. You _can_ lose your ISP
if reported.
--
Juan

jmnugent <ten.tsacmoc@tnegunmj> wrote in message
> Well..I realize it sounds innocuous, but it just seems to have a very

odd
> pattern.
> Usually I'm getting a pretty wide variety of attacks (OS fingerprint,

FTP
> port probes, port scans,etc),
> but this has been only "TCP_Probe_Other" for 12 hours.....no other

attacks
> of any kind.
>
> see attached screenshot....(I know this isnt a binary group..but....)
>
> It looked like unusual activity to me...so I asked....
> --jmnugent

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Only 500 in 12 hours is nothing. Forget about it, and let your
> > firewall get on with it's job.
> >

> > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:21:57 GMT, in
> > <pYodb.601795$Ho3.118016@sccrnsc03>
> > jmnugent scrawled:
> >
> > >I came home from being gone since yesterday afternoon and noticed

that my
> > >firewall is reporting a very large spike in "TCP_Probe_Other"

attacks.
> > >Probably about 500 in the past 12hours....seems to be a unusually

large
> > >amount to me, my firewall logs dont typically look like this unless

there
> is
> > >some new attack going around
> > >
> > >Anyone else notice anything strange??...for what its worth, I'm on

> Comcast
> > >in Colorado.
> > >
> > >--jmnugent
> > >

> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Thanks, Juan. I didn't see his reply - my NSP filters binaries.

Nice link, btw.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:53:43 GMT, in
<bXsdb.21265$(E-Mail Removed) .net>
Juan Pérez scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Juan Pérez

No dancing girls, it was a screenshot of his firewall log.
Thanks

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Juan. I didn't see his reply - my NSP filters binaries.
>
> Nice link, btw.
>

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:53:43 GMT, in
> <bXsdb.21265$(E-Mail Removed) .net>
> Juan Pérez scrawled:
>
> >Read this page and concerning your "issue", calm yourself.
> >http://tinyurl.com/ox8z
> >
> >I'd like to give you another helpful clue. Never post binaries blah

blah
> >bla...you wrote that you understand that rule. You _can_ lose your

ISP
> >if reported.
> >
> >jmnugent <ten.tsacmoc@tnegunmj> wrote in message
> >> Well..I realize it sounds innocuous, but it just seems to have a

very
> >odd
> >> pattern.
> >> Usually I'm getting a pretty wide variety of attacks (OS

fingerprint,
> >FTP
> >> port probes, port scans,etc),
> >> but this has been only "TCP_Probe_Other" for 12 hours.....no other

> >attacks
> >> of any kind.
> >>
> >> see attached screenshot....(I know this isnt a binary

group..but....)

> >> It looked like unusual activity to me...so I asked....
> >> --jmnugent
> >>

> >> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

noticed
> >that my

> >attacks.

unusually
> >large

unless
> >there
> >> is

on
> >> Comcast

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

jmnugent

More strangely....this morning at 5:30 am.....all of the "TCP_Probe_Other"
attacks stopped,
and my firewall is now blocking what looks like a normal activity/variety
level of attacks.
Interesting if nothing else...wonder what it was...
--jmnugent

news:(E-Mail Removed)...