Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard disk buying advice needed

Hard disk buying advice needed

rednose

I'm about to buy a 2nd hard drive to be used for video editing and Dvd
ripping.
My present HD is a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 41gb
The one I'm looking at is a Maxtor IDE ATA133 120gb 7200rpm.
Is it possible to use these together or do I need a different type?

Any help appreciated
Steve

Capt. Monty

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
rednose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm about to buy a 2nd hard drive to be used for video editing and Dvd
> ripping.
> My present HD is a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 41gb
> The one I'm looking at is a Maxtor IDE ATA133 120gb 7200rpm.
> Is it possible to use these together or do I need a different type?
>
> Any help appreciated
> Steve

That should work fine as long as the connections are correct. One
should be a master (preferably the first HD) and slave and set up
accordingly. Also make sure the OS recognizes it as a second partition
(correct me if I'm wrong). The Maxtor should come with software on disc
or downloadable from the Web. The kind of HD shouldn't matter, unless
you were dealing with an external one.

Eugene Kent

Make sure that your mother board will accept a 120 gb hard drive.
I once tried to place a 60 gb hard drive on a mother board supporting a 400
mh Intel Pentium processor. But it would only accept 30 gb's. The rest of
the hard drive was useless.

"Capt. Monty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> rednose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm about to buy a 2nd hard drive to be used for video editing and Dvd
> > ripping.
> > My present HD is a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 41gb
> > The one I'm looking at is a Maxtor IDE ATA133 120gb 7200rpm.
> > Is it possible to use these together or do I need a different type?
> >
> > Any help appreciated
> > Steve

> That should work fine as long as the connections are correct. One
> should be a master (preferably the first HD) and slave and set up
> accordingly. Also make sure the OS recognizes it as a second partition
> (correct me if I'm wrong). The Maxtor should come with software on disc
> or downloadable from the Web. The kind of HD shouldn't matter, unless
> you were dealing with an external one.

Mistoffolees

Eugene Kent wrote:

> Make sure that your mother board will accept a 120 gb hard drive.
> I once tried to place a 60 gb hard drive on a mother board supporting a 400
> mh Intel Pentium processor. But it would only accept 30 gb's. The rest of
> the hard drive was useless.

The computer should be able to support the 60 GB hard drive but the largest
size of any single partition can only be around 32 GB. And this is with FAT32.
If a second, extended partition had been created, the remaining 30 GB could
then be used.

Cubzilla

"Mistoffolees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Eugene Kent wrote:
>
> > Make sure that your mother board will accept a 120 gb hard drive.
> > I once tried to place a 60 gb hard drive on a mother board supporting a

400
> > mh Intel Pentium processor. But it would only accept 30 gb's. The rest

of
> > the hard drive was useless.

> The computer should be able to support the 60 GB hard drive but the

largest
> size of any single partition can only be around 32 GB. And this is with

FAT32.
> If a second, extended partition had been created, the remaining 30 GB

could
> then be used.

Don't we need to consider the type of bus the new disk can run best on ?

I.e. the chance is that it will be ATA133, mixing new/old technology is not
recommended i.e. avoid bottle necks where possible

Regards