Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > floppy discs

floppy discs

Fred Skyler

I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows 98.
These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any way to make
them open?

°Mike°

How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
Do they still work on the 98 machine?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fred Skyler scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Me-GT

I'm tired of this lurker.
What an abject cretin.
Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to posters,
who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
Go take the **** out of your family instead of targeting us new to
computing, PLEASE...

Michael
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
> physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
> Do they still work on the 98 machine?
>

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Fred Skyler scrawled:
>
> >I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows 98.
> >These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any way to

make
> >them open?
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Chris

Ditch XP

"Fred Skyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows 98.
> These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any way to

make
> them open?

Meat-Plow

> How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
> physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
> Do they still work on the 98 machine?

All he has to do is replace his CMOS battery and as if by magic, the discs
will read.

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Fred Skyler scrawled:
>
>>I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows 98.
>>These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any way to make
>>them open?

Brian H¹©

Me-GT said:

> I'm tired of this lurker.
> What an abject cretin.
> Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to posters,
> who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
> Go take the **** out of your family instead of targeting us new to
> computing, PLEASE...
>
> Michael

What?
I think his questions were valid.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
>> physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
>> Do they still work on the 98 machine?
>>

>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Fred Skyler scrawled:
>>
>>> I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows 98.
>>> These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any way to make
>>> them open?
>>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Lurker? Cretin? I guess that sums *you* up pretty well.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:06:32 +0100, in
<bl4qhm$p1j$(E-Mail Removed)>
Me-GT scrawled:

>I'm tired of this lurker.
>What an abject cretin.
>Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to posters,
>who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
>Go take the **** out of your family instead of targeting us new to
>computing, PLEASE...
>
>Michael
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
>> physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
>> Do they still work on the 98 machine?
>>

>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Fred Skyler scrawled:
>>
>> >I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows 98.
>> >These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any way to

>make
>> >them open?
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Patrick

Me-GT wrote:
> I'm tired of this lurker.
> What an abject cretin.
> Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to
> posters, who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
> Go take the **** out of your family instead of targeting us new to
> computing, PLEASE...

I've not noticed your name before, but °Mike° is no 'lurker'.
He is in fact, a fair part of 25% of the value of this group, (i'm the other
75% )

He, as far as I can see, is being hassled by people who are trying to make
needless contention with him (being trolled). Thus it is that if you
consider said, perhaps a little understanding for *him).
PS not wishing you to misunderstand me, It is a shame that the situation
arises.

> Michael
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
>> physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
>> Do they still work on the 98 machine?
>>

>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Fred Skyler scrawled:
>>
>>> I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows
>>> 98. These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any
>>> way to make them open?
>>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Mike Calkins

Don't know Mike, yet...

1 Your old drive could be out of alignment. Can you read the media in
another machine?

2. If they are 5.25 inch , storage would indeed matter. 3.5 too for that
matter...

3. If everything is ok, no virus, storage OK... You could install the
old Compaq (sp) drive in the new machine and try to read the media.......

Just Thoughts

Mike in Texas

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bZmdb.1152$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Me-GT wrote:
> > I'm tired of this lurker.
> > What an abject cretin.
> > Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to
> > posters, who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
> > Go take the **** out of your family instead of targeting us new to
> > computing, PLEASE...

> I've not noticed your name before, but °Mike° is no 'lurker'.
> He is in fact, a fair part of 25% of the value of this group, (i'm the

other
> 75% )
>
> He, as far as I can see, is being hassled by people who are trying to make
> needless contention with him (being trolled). Thus it is that if you
> consider said, perhaps a little understanding for *him).
> PS not wishing you to misunderstand me, It is a shame that the situation
> arises.
>

> > Michael
> > "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
> >> physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
> >> Do they still work on the 98 machine?
> >>

> >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Fred Skyler scrawled:

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

trout

Me-GT wrote:

> I'm tired of this lurker.
> What an abject cretin.
> Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to
> posters, who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
> Go take the **** out of your family instead of targeting us new to
> computing, PLEASE...
>
> Michael

Yes, let's hope that the knowledgable person who helps hundreds of
people toddles off, because *you're* too thick to understand what he's
saying, and why. To someone else.
After all, why ask those burdonsome questions in order to provide
the *correct* answer, when he could just sit down and write-up a list of
possibilities, based on all possible scenerios and guesswork?
That way, thick-headed ignorant twits like you could pick the one
that strikes their fancy, and it would magically correct all their
difficulties; without having to apply the slightest amount of thought to
their own problem, or even bother fully describing it.
Are you a complete and utter moron; or are you participating in a
contest for the most bizarrely misinformed, stupid, and ridiculous post?
--
"In which case, you have a strong contender."