Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > w2k can't "see" full 80GB

w2k can't "see" full 80GB

WCH

I recently freed up an 80GB Maxtor drive which used to be set up with
Windows 98SE. I used a generic boot disk to FDISK it and removed all the
partitions until it said "no partitions". I figured this would set it up
for Windows 2000. When I installed Windows 2000 on the disk, though, it
only found 32GB, which it formatted and installed on without incident. I
went ahead because I figured I could capture the remaining 40something gigs
later, either through Disk Management or Partition Magic.

Now, however, neither of those utilities even SEE the remaining space on the
drive. Every measure shows the drive as "healthy". I've never see this
before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space? Can I do it without
reformatting the whole drive and losing the installations I've done?
TIA -- WC

°Mike°

Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:34:06 GMT, in
<O5idb.444870$cF.142451@rwcrnsc53>
WCH scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rob

Do you have installed as NTFS or fat32? I don't think fat32 can see drivers
bigger than 20gig.. not exactly sure the size. NTFS can see the entire
drive.

--
Rob B
http://www.techhowto.org

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I recently freed up an 80GB Maxtor drive which used to be set up with
> Windows 98SE. I used a generic boot disk to FDISK it and removed all the
> partitions until it said "no partitions". I figured this would set it up
> for Windows 2000. When I installed Windows 2000 on the disk, though, it
> only found 32GB, which it formatted and installed on without incident. I
> went ahead because I figured I could capture the remaining 40something

gigs
> later, either through Disk Management or Partition Magic.
>
> Now, however, neither of those utilities even SEE the remaining space on

the
> drive. Every measure shows the drive as "healthy". I've never see this
> before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space? Can I do it without
> reformatting the whole drive and losing the installations I've done?
> TIA -- WC

Patrick

WCH wrote:
> I recently freed up an 80GB Maxtor drive which used to be set up with
> Windows 98SE. I used a generic boot disk to FDISK it and removed all
> the partitions until it said "no partitions". I figured this would
> set it up for Windows 2000. When I installed Windows 2000 on the
> disk, though, it only found 32GB, which it formatted and installed on
> without incident. I went ahead because I figured I could capture the
> remaining 40something gigs later, either through Disk Management or
> Partition Magic.
>
> Now, however, neither of those utilities even SEE the remaining space
> on the drive. Every measure shows the drive as "healthy". I've
> never see this before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space?
> Can I do it without reformatting the whole drive and losing the
> installations I've done?
> TIA -- WC

Well, I would have thought that your 'generic boot disk' may have only seen
the 32GB and marked the drive as being so.

Gray Ghost

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I recently freed up an 80GB Maxtor drive which used to be set up with
> Windows 98SE. I used a generic boot disk to FDISK it and removed all
> the partitions until it said "no partitions". I figured this would
> set it up for Windows 2000. When I installed Windows 2000 on the
> disk, though, it only found 32GB, which it formatted and installed on
> without incident. I went ahead because I figured I could capture the
> remaining 40something gigs later, either through Disk Management or
> Partition Magic.
>
> Now, however, neither of those utilities even SEE the remaining space
> on the drive. Every measure shows the drive as "healthy". I've never
> see this before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space? Can I do
> it without reformatting the whole drive and losing the installations
> I've done? TIA -- WC

Why use FDISK when you can simply go in under Computer Management tools and
format it directly and partition it there?

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
Management

Then select Storage -> Disk Management

Select the drive that you wish to format, and you should be able to do so
from within the GUI... pretty nifty eh?

Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> I recently freed up an 80GB Maxtor drive which used to be set up with
>> Windows 98SE. I used a generic boot disk to FDISK it and removed all
>> the partitions until it said "no partitions". I figured this would
>> set it up for Windows 2000. When I installed Windows 2000 on the
>> disk, though, it only found 32GB, which it formatted and installed on
>> without incident. I went ahead because I figured I could capture the
>> remaining 40something gigs later, either through Disk Management or
>> Partition Magic.
>>
>> Now, however, neither of those utilities even SEE the remaining space
>> on the drive. Every measure shows the drive as "healthy". I've
>> never see this before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space?
>> Can I do it without reformatting the whole drive and losing the
>> installations I've done? TIA -- WC

> Why use FDISK when you can simply go in under Computer Management
> tools and format it directly and partition it there?
>
> Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
> Management
>
> Then select Storage -> Disk Management
>
> Select the drive that you wish to format, and you should be able to do
> so from within the GUI... pretty nifty eh?

BY THE WAY

Do this at your own risk as I assume no responsibility for your actions.

WCH

Disk Management doesn't SEE any other space on the drive than the 32GB
partition. I can't figure out why not.

"Gray Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Gray Ghost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > "WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >
> >> I recently freed up an 80GB Maxtor drive which used to be set up with
> >> Windows 98SE. I used a generic boot disk to FDISK it and removed all
> >> the partitions until it said "no partitions". I figured this would
> >> set it up for Windows 2000. When I installed Windows 2000 on the
> >> disk, though, it only found 32GB, which it formatted and installed on
> >> without incident. I went ahead because I figured I could capture the
> >> remaining 40something gigs later, either through Disk Management or
> >> Partition Magic.
> >>
> >> Now, however, neither of those utilities even SEE the remaining space
> >> on the drive. Every measure shows the drive as "healthy". I've
> >> never see this before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space?
> >> Can I do it without reformatting the whole drive and losing the
> >> installations I've done? TIA -- WC

> > Why use FDISK when you can simply go in under Computer Management
> > tools and format it directly and partition it there?
> >
> > Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
> > Management
> >
> > Then select Storage -> Disk Management
> >
> > Select the drive that you wish to format, and you should be able to do
> > so from within the GUI... pretty nifty eh?

> BY THE WAY
>
> Do this at your own risk as I assume no responsibility for your actions.

°Mike°

Because you "used a generic boot disk to FDISK it". This likely
had the old version of fdisk on it, that doesn't see drives that
are larger than 64GB. See the MS link in my first reply to you.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:52:18 GMT, in
<mEndb.600252$YN5.443591@sccrnsc01>
WCH scrawled:

>Disk Management doesn't SEE any other space on the drive than the 32GB
>partition. I can't figure out why not.
>
>"Gray Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Gray Ghost <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>> > "WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>> > Why use FDISK when you can simply go in under Computer Management
>> > tools and format it directly and partition it there?
>> >
>> > Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
>> > Management
>> >
>> > Then select Storage -> Disk Management
>> >
>> > Select the drive that you wish to format, and you should be able to do
>> > so from within the GUI... pretty nifty eh?

>> BY THE WAY
>>
>> Do this at your own risk as I assume no responsibility for your actions.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I recently freed up an 80GB Maxtor drive which used to be set up with
> Windows 98SE. I used a generic boot disk to FDISK it and removed all the
> partitions until it said "no partitions". I figured this would set it up
> for Windows 2000. When I installed Windows 2000 on the disk, though, it
> only found 32GB, which it formatted and installed on without incident. I
> went ahead because I figured I could capture the remaining 40something

gigs
> later, either through Disk Management or Partition Magic.
>
> Now, however, neither of those utilities even SEE the remaining space on

the
> drive. Every measure shows the drive as "healthy". I've never see this
> before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space? Can I do it without
> reformatting the whole drive and losing the installations I've done?
> TIA -- WC

I'd first back up what you have.

I'd also bet you've got the 32G "clip" jumper installed.

You'll have to remove it, and I've usually had to do a drive blank
with the disk test from the manufacturer, then reinstall.

RwP

Plato

Rob wrote:

> Do you have installed as NTFS or fat32? I don't think fat32 can see drivers
> bigger than 20gig.. not exactly sure the size. NTFS can see the entire
> drive.

FAT32 can indeed, see drives larger than 32. A CD install of XP tho,
wont do a fat32 partition over 32.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/