Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Required, please?

Help Required, please?

Raine

"Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GTodb.17$(E-Mail Removed)...

"anthonyberet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl525q$8argq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
Raine wrote:
> Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
>
> How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
> upsetting the Operating System, please?
> I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
> I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
> I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come
> first. Raine.

Dont forget to compact your email data in outlook express (and your
newsgroups). This can really bloat if you leave it for a long time.
Certainly you should get rid of Realplayer, as that would still suck
even if
it wasn't so bloated.
--
Put "usenet" in the subject-line if you want to mail me, otherwise it
will

Thank-you, will delete Real Player, with the greatest of pleasure!
Thanks for the compact tip, too.
Raine.

Thank you all, whilst I don't quite have the room to install Photoshop,
I do have the room on my HD to install PSP6, it's better than nothing!

Raine.

EricP

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:25:31 +0100, "Raine"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
>
>How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
>upsetting the Operating System, please?
>I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
>I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
>I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come first.
>Raine.

Have a look at XPLite.

It prunes anything you like out but can put it back if you want.

You can do all the stuff yourself but it need ages of research in
order to not do damage.

Plato

Raine wrote:

> Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
>
> How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
> upsetting the Operating System, please?

temp and Internet cache files may take up 50% of your hard drive.

> I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
> I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
> I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come first.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

nic.and.jas

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:46:37 +0100, in
> <J_ldb.1$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Raine scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <snip>
>
> >You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
> >Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.
> >
> >Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
> >from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
> >re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
> >Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and I
> >really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
> >on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
> >now, lol.
> >Raine.

> Absolutely, you can save it. I hope you don't have all 6000+ fonts
> installed - this can cause problems. There is no limit to the amount
> of fonts installed in XP, but it WILL slow the bootup process.
>
> Windows 9x/ME has a limit of (approx.) 1000 fonts, depending on
> font name lengths and font filename lengths.
>
> Generally, you should only install those fonts that you need or
> use regularly. Should you need a specific font at a later time,
> it can easily be installed.
>
> You can also save any other important data that you have,
> such as address book, blocked senders, favorites, and other
> data that you might not want to lose, such as music or
> image files, databases, work documents etc.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

anthonyberet

Raine wrote:
> "anthonyberet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl525q$8argq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Raine wrote:
>> Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
>>
>> How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
>> upsetting the Operating System, please?
>> I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
>> I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
>> I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come
>> first. Raine.

> Dont forget to compact your email data in outlook express (and your
> newsgroups). This can really bloat if you leave it for a long time.
> Certainly you should get rid of Realplayer, as that would still suck
> even if
> it wasn't so bloated.

Thank-you, will delete Real Player, with the greatest of pleasure!
Thanks for the compact tip, too.
Raine.

Hey Raine, you seem to have a problem with your posting software, -it did
not strip out my signature, and that meant when I went to reply to you, my
software stripped out your reply, thinking it was part of the signature.
Never repost signatures, as the "-- " (note the space) is a marker for the
rest of the post to be removed for replies.
I use OE6 with OE quotefix.
Anyway, have a look here for a program called Real Alternative, it will play
..ra and .ram files without the need for Realplayer being installed (most
other things which play these need Realplayer).
http://doa2.host.sk/ (the link for Real Alternative is on the left)
bounce.
Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
anthonyberet

Raine

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:3f7673a6$0$51408$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Raine wrote:
> >
> > Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
> >
> > How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer

without
> > upsetting the Operating System, please?

> temp and Internet cache files may take up 50% of your hard drive.
>

> > I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
> > I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
> > I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come

first.

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

TIFs History Temp files are cleared daily, but I cannot think the 5/10
TIFs accumulated daily matter much to the amount of space being used.
That's basic maintenance. Not really what I needed to know, but thanks.
I'm talking more of programs/utilities. I don't really need adaware,
spybot, spyblaster.
I cleared enough space to install PSP6, photoshop will just have to
wait.
Raine