Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Required, please?

Help Required, please?

Raine

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
<jpjdb.43$(E-Mail Removed)>
Raine scrawled:

<snip>

>I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more might
>cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
>There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check Mike,
>the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
>while longer.
>Raine.

If that's the case, then a larger hard drive is probably your
only option.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Thanks, sweety, when I DO get my new HD, can I transfer the info from
this one on to it? Is that what they call ghosting? And, will I need to
do those dratted Microsoft Updates again?
Raine

°Mike°

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:06:52 +0100, in
<Xkkdb.327$(E-Mail Removed)>
Raine scrawled:

>From: "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
> <jpjdb.43$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Raine scrawled:
>
><snip>
>
>>I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more might
>>cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
>>There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check Mike,
>>the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
>>while longer.
>>Raine.

>If that's the case, then a larger hard drive is probably your
>only option.
>

>Thanks, sweety, when I DO get my new HD, can I transfer the info from
>this one on to it? Is that what they call ghosting? And, will I need to
>do those dratted Microsoft Updates again?
>Raine

You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Raine

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:06:52 +0100, in
<Xkkdb.327$(E-Mail Removed)>
Raine scrawled:

>From: "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:03:16 +0100, in
> <jpjdb.43$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Raine scrawled:
>
><snip>
>
>>I've already got plenty of RAM installed, I've been told any more

might
>>cause problems.(about 512mb - if thats the right term?)
>>There is nothing in Add/Remove I don't use/need. Been to re-check

Mike,
>>the main fault is a tiny HD, so I might just have to bear with it a
>>while longer.
>>Raine.

>If that's the case, then a larger hard drive is probably your
>only option.
>

>Thanks, sweety, when I DO get my new HD, can I transfer the info from
>this one on to it? Is that what they call ghosting? And, will I need to
>do those dratted Microsoft Updates again?
>Raine

You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and I
really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
now, lol.
Raine.

°Mike°

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:46:37 +0100, in
<J_ldb.1$(E-Mail Removed)>
Raine scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
>Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.
>
>Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
>from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
>re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
>Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and I
>really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
>on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
>now, lol.
>Raine.

Absolutely, you can save it. I hope you don't have all 6000+ fonts
installed - this can cause problems. There is no limit to the amount
of fonts installed in XP, but it WILL slow the bootup process.

Windows 9x/ME has a limit of (approx.) 1000 fonts, depending on
font name lengths and font filename lengths.

Generally, you should only install those fonts that you need or
use regularly. Should you need a specific font at a later time,
it can easily be installed.

You can also save any other important data that you have,
such as address book, blocked senders, favorites, and other
data that you might not want to lose, such as music or
image files, databases, work documents etc.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Raine

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:46:37 +0100, in
<J_ldb.1$(E-Mail Removed)>
Raine scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
>Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.
>
>Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
>from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
>re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
>Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and

>really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
>on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
>now, lol.
>Raine.

Absolutely, you can save it. I hope you don't have all 6000+ fonts
installed - this can cause problems. There is no limit to the amount
of fonts installed in XP, but it WILL slow the bootup process.

Windows 9x/ME has a limit of (approx.) 1000 fonts, depending on
font name lengths and font filename lengths.

Generally, you should only install those fonts that you need or
use regularly. Should you need a specific font at a later time,
it can easily be installed.

You can also save any other important data that you have,
such as address book, blocked senders, favorites, and other
data that you might not want to lose, such as music or
image files, databases, work documents etc.

--
Basic computer maintenance

No, Mike, haven't got all 6000 installed, but do have the CD with them
all on it.
But I do believe you have hit on my mini problem!
The Fonts I DID install are taking up space I sure could use right now!
All I need now is to find out the XP OS Fonts originally installed.
Thanks sweety, for the help.
Raine.

°Mike°

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:49:48 +0100, in
<GJmdb.374$(E-Mail Removed)>
Raine scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:46:37 +0100, in
> <J_ldb.1$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Raine scrawled:
>

>>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

><snip>
>
>>You should be able to ghost your drive without problem.
>>Personally, I would rather start from scratch on a brand new drive.
>>
>>Groooooooooooan, lol, thanks a bunch, another question then? So I start
>>from scratch, can I save the Fonts Folder I have now to disc, to
>>re-install on the new HD? Or will I get new Fonts with the new HD?
>>Crazy question maybe, but I've installed several new Fonts on here and

>>really don't want to have to sift through the huge file (6000 +) I have
>>on CD to find them all again. I wouldn't know the OS Fonts from Adam
>>now, lol.
>>Raine.

>Absolutely, you can save it. I hope you don't have all 6000+ fonts
>installed - this can cause problems. There is no limit to the amount
>of fonts installed in XP, but it WILL slow the bootup process.
>
>Windows 9x/ME has a limit of (approx.) 1000 fonts, depending on
>font name lengths and font filename lengths.
>
>Generally, you should only install those fonts that you need or
>use regularly. Should you need a specific font at a later time,
>it can easily be installed.
>
>You can also save any other important data that you have,
>such as address book, blocked senders, favorites, and other
>data that you might not want to lose, such as music or
>image files, databases, work documents etc.
>
>--
>Basic computer maintenance
>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
>

>No, Mike, haven't got all 6000 installed, but do have the CD with them
>all on it.
>But I do believe you have hit on my mini problem!
>The Fonts I DID install are taking up space I sure could use right now!
>All I need now is to find out the XP OS Fonts originally installed.
>Thanks sweety, for the help.
>Raine.

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Patrick

My 'uninstall' folders amount to 265MB (>1/4GB)
(just thought I'd tell you ! )

Raine wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:01:09 +0100, in
> <5vidb.1155$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Raine scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I want to clear 2 gigs if I can. I'm looking at a re-install, I
>> think! Raine.

> Control Panel / Add\Remove Programs - uninstall *anything* that
> you don't use/want.
>
> If you have a *folder* called "Windows Update Setup Files", delete
> it.
>
> Add more RAM, so that (in theory) your swap file should be smaller.

Raine

Thank you Patrick, had already deleted it.
Found my problem, now thanks, but unable to put it right, as yet.
Raine

news:grndb.1183$(E-Mail Removed)...

Raine wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:01:09 +0100, in
> <5vidb.1155$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Raine scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I want to clear 2 gigs if I can. I'm looking at a re-install, I
>> think! Raine.

> Control Panel / Add\Remove Programs - uninstall *anything* that
> you don't use/want.
>
> If you have a *folder* called "Windows Update Setup Files", delete
> it.
>
> Add more RAM, so that (in theory) your swap file should be smaller.

anthonyberet

Raine wrote:
> Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
>
> How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
> upsetting the Operating System, please?
> I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
> I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
> I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come
> first. Raine.

Dont forget to compact your email data in outlook express (and your
newsgroups). This can really bloat if you leave it for a long time.
Certainly you should get rid of Realplayer, as that would still suck even if
it wasn't so bloated.
bounce.
Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
anthonyberet

Raine

"anthonyberet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl525q$8argq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
Raine wrote:
> Windows XP Home / OE6 / 1E6
>
> How can I find out what I can safely delete from the computer without
> upsetting the Operating System, please?
> I'm sure there's lots of stuff on here I can live without!
> I'm trying to clear a space for my Photoshop program.
> I'm aware that I need a bigger HD, but other priorities must come
> first. Raine.

Dont forget to compact your email data in outlook express (and your
newsgroups). This can really bloat if you leave it for a long time.
Certainly you should get rid of Realplayer, as that would still suck
even if
it wasn't so bloated.
--
Put "usenet" in the subject-line if you want to mail me, otherwise it
will
bounce.
Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
anthonyberet

Thank-you, will delete Real Player, with the greatest of pleasure!
Thanks for the compact tip, too.
Raine.