Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > memory

memory

oxy

OS Windows 98 SE
Ram 384 MB

get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
Resource meter shows
System resources = 60% free
User resources = 60% free
GDI resources =74% free

Any help please Oxy

HamMan

"oxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OS Windows 98 SE
> Ram 384 MB
>
> get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
> when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
> Resource meter shows
> System resources = 60% free
> User resources = 60% free
> GDI resources =74% free
>
> Any help please Oxy

1. More specs of your PC would help
2. Have you tried re-installing Win98SE?
3. If you have a P2 or above i would seriously recommend going to XP or 2000

Jerry G.

It sounds like you have something corrupted. Did you install anything
exotic lately, either by accident or intentionally??? I have seen a
corrupted registry, or ini file cause this type of fault.

Have you been backing up the registry? If so, you can reload a previous
version from the time when the machine was working properly. We do a weekly
backup of the registry, and keep the previous ones for about 3 months.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

"oxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)...
OS Windows 98 SE
Ram 384 MB

get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
Resource meter shows
System resources = 60% free
User resources = 60% free
GDI resources =74% free

Any help please Oxy

DaveJ

"oxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OS Windows 98 SE
> Ram 384 MB
>
> get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
> when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
> Resource meter shows
> System resources = 60% free
> User resources = 60% free
> GDI resources =74% free
>
> Any help please Oxy

Some programs (mainly M$oft...) won't open if you have more than 256Mb and
run with virtual memory switched off - dunno why though (and can't be arsed
to find out).

regards,
DaveJ.

oxy

Hi Jerry I'm new to all this pc stuff , could you reomend a free program
that will clean my registry for me.
Regards Oxy
"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl3tpf$an$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It sounds like you have something corrupted. Did you install anything
> exotic lately, either by accident or intentionally??? I have seen a
> corrupted registry, or ini file cause this type of fault.
>
> Have you been backing up the registry? If so, you can reload a previous
> version from the time when the machine was working properly. We do a

weekly
> backup of the registry, and keep the previous ones for about 3 months.
>
> --
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
> WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
> Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
> Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
>

> "oxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OS Windows 98 SE
> Ram 384 MB
>
> get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
> when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
> Resource meter shows
> System resources = 60% free
> User resources = 60% free
> GDI resources =74% free
>
> Any help please Oxy

Buffalo

If your hard drive is almost full, you can get that error.
Rt click on My Computer,Properties,Performance, Vitrtual Memory and make
sure that it is set to let Windows handle it.
What does it say in the top box (it will probably be grayed out, but it
should give you the amt of free space on the drive it is assigned to)?
Put "not enough free memory" in the search box in Google (include the "
marks).

"oxy" <> wrote in message
news:6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OS Windows 98 SE
> Ram 384 MB
>
> get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
> when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
> Resource meter shows
> System resources = 60% free
> User resources = 60% free
> GDI resources =74% free
>
> Any help please Oxy

°Mike°

Make sure that your swap file (c:\windows\win386.swp) is not
set to 'Read Only'. Right click on the win386.swp file and
choose 'Properties'. Uncheck 'Read only' in the attributes
column, and press 'Apply'. The swap file has to be continually
updated, and if it is in use (and read-only) you will get the
symptoms you describe.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:11:15 +0100, in
<6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)>
oxy scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

oxy

swap file attributes for win386 has archive checked, is this ok.
Oxy
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Make sure that your swap file (c:\windows\win386.swp) is not
> set to 'Read Only'. Right click on the win386.swp file and
> choose 'Properties'. Uncheck 'Read only' in the attributes
> column, and press 'Apply'. The swap file has to be continually
> updated, and if it is in use (and read-only) you will get the
> symptoms you describe.
>

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:11:15 +0100, in
> <6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)>
> oxy scrawled:
>
> >OS Windows 98 SE
> >Ram 384 MB
> >
> >get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
> >when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
> >Resource meter shows
> >System resources = 60% free
> >User resources = 60% free
> >GDI resources =74% free
> >
> >Any help please Oxy
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

The archive attribute makes no difference - don't worry about
that. So long as 'Read only' is *unchecked*.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:19:38 +0100, in
<g5odb.28$(E-Mail Removed)>
oxy scrawled:

>swap file attributes for win386 has archive checked, is this ok.
>Oxy

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Make sure that your swap file (c:\windows\win386.swp) is not
>> set to 'Read Only'. Right click on the win386.swp file and
>> choose 'Properties'. Uncheck 'Read only' in the attributes
>> column, and press 'Apply'. The swap file has to be continually
>> updated, and if it is in use (and read-only) you will get the
>> symptoms you describe.
>>

>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:11:15 +0100, in
>> <6cedb.708$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> oxy scrawled:
>>
>> >OS Windows 98 SE
>> >Ram 384 MB
>> >
>> >get error message "NOT ENOUG FREE MEMORY "
>> >when I try to open my docs/my comp/control panel.ect
>> >Resource meter shows
>> >System resources = 60% free
>> >User resources = 60% free
>> >GDI resources =74% free
>> >
>> >Any help please Oxy
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Matthew Lancaster

micro mart ran an article on this they said win98se has a bug it cant
recognize more than 128mb of memory
but I found it depend on the memory installed just depends how good it is if
your lucky you might get away with a bit more but the more you install the
less windows will accept

run nortons memory check to see how much you can use

and then set the limit on how much windows uses to just below that in
control panel system info

better off upgrading to win 2k something like that over there......

Matt.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...