Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File allocation table bad, drive C

File allocation table bad, drive C

Hung @ PC2

Hi, suddenly with no warning, the hard disk on boot up says "File allocation
table bad, drive C". I just get the C:> prompt. If I do dir, I also get the
error message about the FAT is bad- of course no directories listing.

Are my data gone (thousnads of photos from my digital camera) ?

How do I recover from this FAT error? what program to use?

Thanks

Hung
(writing from a 2nd computer)

HamMan

"Hung @ PC2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl3o22$b05$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, suddenly with no warning, the hard disk on boot up says "File

allocation
> table bad, drive C". I just get the C:> prompt. If I do dir, I also get

the
> error message about the FAT is bad- of course no directories listing.
>
> Are my data gone (thousnads of photos from my digital camera) ?
>
> How do I recover from this FAT error? what program to use?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hung
> (writing from a 2nd computer)

The FAT table tells your computer where the data is on your hard disk,
without it youre buggered.

About the 'crucial' digital photos, what no backup on CD-RW's or something?

If your that desperate you could send your hard dsik off to one of the many
data recovery companies, but thats a bit on the pricey side.

Best option is to re-format and reinstall windows (wiping your data), but
you have to ask what actually caused this error. If its a virus then the
problem is solved when reformating. But, it could be a hrdware issue. Go to
your hard disks manufacturer's support page and get thier drive test
utility. (if its maxtor its the 'powermax' utility)

SgtMinor

Try active@ partitioning recovery software:
http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm

"Hung @ PC2" wrote:

> Hi, suddenly with no warning, the hard disk on boot up says "File allocation
> table bad, drive C". I just get the C:> prompt. If I do dir, I also get the
> error message about the FAT is bad- of course no directories listing.
>
> Are my data gone (thousnads of photos from my digital camera) ?
>
> How do I recover from this FAT error? what program to use?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hung
> (writing from a 2nd computer)

°Mike°

Remove the drive and slave it in your 2nd computer.
Run GetDataBack on it.
http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:31:54 +0800, in
<bl3o22$b05$(E-Mail Removed)>
Hung @ PC2 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Réjean Dutil

If you want a freeware, you may try these two software:

1) Drive Rescue 1.9d, freeware (I am not sure if it works with NTFS). I
tried it with success twice.
Drive Rescue is a freeware Undelete Utility which sadly was
discontinued by the author. The author made a newer version but the
newer version is shareware & has a different name. You can download
the freeware version from
http://www.geocities.com/one_human/programs.html , just look for Drive
Rescue.

2) PC Inspector file recovery: Fat and NTFS, freeware. I never tried it.
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Rejean

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Remove the drive and slave it in your 2nd computer.
> Run GetDataBack on it.
> http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm
>

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:31:54 +0800, in
> <bl3o22$b05$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Hung @ PC2 scrawled:
>
> >Hi, suddenly with no warning, the hard disk on boot up says "File

allocation
> >table bad, drive C". I just get the C:> prompt. If I do dir, I also get

the
> >error message about the FAT is bad- of course no directories listing.
> >
> >Are my data gone (thousnads of photos from my digital camera) ?
> >
> >How do I recover from this FAT error? what program to use?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Hung
> >(writing from a 2nd computer)
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Please reply to the original poster. I don't need it. If you don't
see the original post, make this plain in your post. This is usually
done by placing <piggybacked> at the start of your post. Thanks.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:04:30 -0400, in
<bl51in$894ag$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Réjean Dutil scrawled: