Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Munging email address for News.CIS.DFN.DE

Munging email address for News.CIS.DFN.DE

Richard

anthonyberet wrote:

> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John wrote:

>> > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
>> > newsgroups.

>> > I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot

>> post
>> > unless I use a real email address

>> > Any way around this?

>> > TIA

>> It's also legitimate to use http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) as a spam trap.
>> No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.
>> Since that is a legit addy and they get spam reports by the millions,
>> who
>> cares?
>> Put your tax dollars to work for you.

> The problem with that is that if anyone innocently tries to mail you,
> when
> you have that reply address, it could have 3 negative results.
> Firstly, the
> legitimate mail could be treated as spam, wasting the user's ISP's
> time.
> Secondly, if may be weeded out by staff at (E-Mail Removed) wasting their
> time.
> Thirdly of course, it means the sending user might not realise their
> mail
> has not got to you.
> Why not use a legitimate, but throw-away email address, and use
> filtration
> to screen out the spam? -This is what I do, and I find it 100%
> effective,
> and you could still mail me, if you wished.

The spammer is wasting my time by sending me the crap I don't want.
If anybody replies to THAT addy thinking it actually is a person's personal
addy, they need some help.
No you're not wasting government employee time by somebody sending personal
mail to it because that is their job and that's what they get paid for.

Sharon

John Stubbs wrote:

> I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
> newsgroups.
>
> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
> unless I use a real email address
>
> Any way around this?
>
> TIA

I have the same news server and had the same problem. Someone
recommended a privacy.net email address to use for newsgroups and that
works. Here's the link: http://www.privacy.net/email/
See my email address on here...basically you just pick a number and
insert it and start using it. It works like a charm.

Good Luck,
Sharon

[ Doc Jeff ]

On 26 Sep 2003 22:23:56 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John Stubbs)
wrote:

>I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
>newsgroups.
>
>I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
>unless I use a real email address
>
>Any way around this?

Set your e-mail address to use something that is valid like
(E-Mail Removed) The domain is valid even if the address
isn't.

John

>.basically you just pick a number and
>insert it and start using it. It works like a charm.

Can you pick ANY number and use with that address?

Boomer

John wrote:

>>.basically you just pick a number and
>>insert it and start using it. It works like a charm.

> Can you pick ANY number and use with that address?

Did you read the link Sharon posted?
http://www.privacy.net/email/

For Individual.net please read their FAQ
http://news.individual.net/faq.html#5.3

Boomer

[ Doc Jeff ] wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2003 22:23:56 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John
> Stubbs) wrote:
>
>>I have read here how you should mung your email address when
>>using newsgroups.
>>
>>I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I
>>cannot post unless I use a real email address
>>
>>Any way around this?

> Set your e-mail address to use something that is valid like
> (E-Mail Removed) The domain is valid even if the address
> isn't.

He would lose his account if he did that.

Bri.

Boomer typed...
> [ Doc Jeff ] wrote:
>
>> On 26 Sep 2003 22:23:56 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John
>> Stubbs) wrote:
>>
>>> I have read here how you should mung your email address when
>>> using newsgroups.
>>>
>>> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I
>>> cannot post unless I use a real email address
>>>
>>> Any way around this?

>> Set your e-mail address to use something that is valid like
>> (E-Mail Removed) The domain is valid even if the address
>> isn't.
>>

> He would lose his account if he did that.

[ Doc Jeff ] = TROLL

--
Bri.

John

>Did you read the link Sharon posted?
>http://www.privacy.net/email/

yes an it says this:

>Note: if you receive a notice that the (E-Mail Removed) address cannot be used because
>someone else already registered with that address simply add a number as the following have also been set up:
>
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)
>(E-Mail Removed)

What Im not understanding is..... can I use
"me63401"...... a number that big? Or must i use the
range specified above?

Blinky the Shark

John wrote:
>>Did you read the link Sharon posted?
>>http://www.privacy.net/email/

> yes an it says this:

>>Note: if you receive a notice that the (E-Mail Removed) address cannot be used because
>>someone else already registered with that address simply add a number as the following have also been set up:

>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)

> What Im not understanding is..... can I use
> "me63401"...... a number that big? Or must i use the
> range specified above?

Hint: "the following have...been set up".

What do you perceive the advantage of the me63401 to be? If it's just
a matter of "art", it's not exactly creative -- it's just a number.

Why not just use the ones the owners tell you to use?

--
Blinky Linux RU 297263
NEW 9/25/03:

Boomer

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> John wrote:
>>>Did you read the link Sharon posted?
>>>http://www.privacy.net/email/

>> yes an it says this:

>>>Note: if you receive a notice that the (E-Mail Removed) address
>>>cannot be used because someone else already registered with
>>>that address simply add a number as the following have also
>>>been set up:

>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)

>> What Im not understanding is..... can I use
>> "me63401"...... a number that big? Or must i use the
>> range specified above?

> Hint: "the following have...been set up".
>
> What do you perceive the advantage of the me63401 to be? If
> it's just a matter of "art", it's not exactly creative -- it's
> just a number.
>
> Why not just use the ones the owners tell you to use?

Thanks, Blinky.
I just got back online. I would have answered the same. I read the
statement, at privacy.net, the same as you do.