Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Needed Re Setting Folder and File "Access Permissions" on Home Wireless Network

Help Needed Re Setting Folder and File "Access Permissions" on Home Wireless Network

xdocx

In my home I am running an 802.11b wireless network between a desktop
PC connected by cable to a Microsoft wireless access point (which is
connected to a broadband modem) and a laptop with a Microsoft wireless
PC card. Both PCs are running Windows XP Home.

After setup, both successfully share the broadband access and a
printer and My Network Places shows both PCs and the folders and files
on each that have been designated for sharing. From the laptop I can
access the desktop, can access and share files on it, and can transfer
files and data between the two.

However, from the desktop I can't access any of the shared folders or
files on the laptop although they are displayed and listed in My
Network Places on the desktop. When I try to access a folder or file I
get the Windows Explorer error message "\\ [name of laptop\folder] is
not accessible. You might might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions. Not enough server storage is available
to process this command."

Any suggestions? TIA

candeh@thelast.mile

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:27:26 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (xdocx) wrote:

>In my home I am running an 802.11b wireless network between a desktop
>PC connected by cable to a Microsoft wireless access point (which is
>connected to a broadband modem) and a laptop with a Microsoft wireless
>PC card. Both PCs are running Windows XP Home.
>
>After setup, both successfully share the broadband access and a
>printer and My Network Places shows both PCs and the folders and files
>on each that have been designated for sharing. From the laptop I can
>access the desktop, can access and share files on it, and can transfer
>files and data between the two.
>
>However, from the desktop I can't access any of the shared folders or
>files on the laptop although they are displayed and listed in My
>Network Places on the desktop. When I try to access a folder or file I
>get the Windows Explorer error message "\\ [name of laptop\folder] is
>not accessible. You might might not have permission to use this
>network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
>if you have access permissions. Not enough server storage is available
>to process this command."
>
>Any suggestions? TIA

Check the amount of drive space you have on the desktop PC. The last
line of your error message tells me this.

xdocx

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:03:20 GMT, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:27:26 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (xdocx) wrote:
>
>>In my home I am running an 802.11b wireless network between a desktop
>>PC connected by cable to a Microsoft wireless access point (which is
>>connected to a broadband modem) and a laptop with a Microsoft wireless
>>PC card. Both PCs are running Windows XP Home.
>>
>>After setup, both successfully share the broadband access and a
>>printer and My Network Places shows both PCs and the folders and files
>>on each that have been designated for sharing. From the laptop I can
>>access the desktop, can access and share files on it, and can transfer
>>files and data between the two.
>>
>>However, from the desktop I can't access any of the shared folders or
>>files on the laptop although they are displayed and listed in My
>>Network Places on the desktop. When I try to access a folder or file I
>>get the Windows Explorer error message "\\ [name of laptop\folder] is
>>not accessible. You might might not have permission to use this
>>network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
>>if you have access permissions. Not enough server storage is available
>>to process this command."
>>
>>Any suggestions? TIA
>>

>Check the amount of drive space you have on the desktop PC. The last
>line of your error message tells me this.

Thanks, but I have more than 11GB of unused space on the desktop and
more than 45GB on the laptop, so that isn't the problem. What is
"server storage"?

nemo

Have you created a user on the laptop with the same name and password
as the user on the desktop?

Regards

nemo