Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to make win98 run faster along with Winamp3

How to make win98 run faster along with Winamp3

ComeMon!

Hi,

I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.

I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
'normal' under similar situation ?

Tks!

Paul - xxx

ComeMon! tried to scribble ...

> Hi,
>
> I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
> ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
> directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
> slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
> songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
> opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
> were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
> stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
>
> I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
> 'normal' under similar situation ?
>
> Tks!

Add more memory, run less 'background' applications, generally clean-up the
computer hard drive and files ..

--
.............................Paul - xxx

°Mike°

Start here:
Basic computer maintenance

Uninstall WinAmp 3 and install WinAmp 2.9 (less bloated)
http://classic.winamp.com/download/index.jhtml

Most importantly, install more memory - 64MB is not enough
for Windows 98SE to run smoothly.

On 26 Sep 2003 09:56:53 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
ComeMon! scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

HamMan

"ComeMon!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
> ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
> directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
> slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
> songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
> opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
> were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
> stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
>
> I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
> 'normal' under similar situation ?
>
> Tks!

You could try using the latest release of winamp2, i've found it to be much
faster (i use it mainly because of the 3rd party plugin i use for
projections)

But really, what do you expect from a 166?

John Wood

Umm, Pentium 166?
I think you answered your own question!

"ComeMon!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
> ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
> directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
> slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
> songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
> opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
> were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
> stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
>
> I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
> 'normal' under similar situation ?
>
> Tks!

ComeMon!

"John Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<zY0db.338$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Umm, Pentium 166?
> I think you answered your own question!

Can't agree with your answer. It's MMX! even though it's just Pentium.
There should be some way to boost up its performance

> "ComeMon!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
> > ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
> > directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
> > slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
> > songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
> > opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
> > were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
> > stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
> >
> > I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
> > 'normal' under similar situation ?
> >
> > Tks!

ComeMon!

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bl1rgn$7c9uu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> ComeMon! tried to scribble ...
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
> > ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
> > directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
> > slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
> > songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
> > opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
> > were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
> > stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
> >
> > I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
> > 'normal' under similar situation ?
> >
> > Tks!

> Add more memory, run less 'background' applications, generally clean-up the
> computer hard drive and files ..

1. The notebook is of an old model, may be hard to find compatibile
memory.

2. Pressed Ctrl-Alt-Esc, found below list of processes listed : 2
explorer windows instances, explorer, internat, winampa,
btstackserver, irmon, 2xrundll32, systray processes (total 10
entries). Would yuou say it's too much 'background' applications ?

3. Cleaned up HD (temporary internet directory, windows temp
directory) to increase free disk space from below 60MB to 105MB. Found
performance slightly improved although still unsatisfactory.

ComeMon!

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Start here:
> Basic computer maintenance

Need time to study it's content.

> Uninstall WinAmp 3 and install WinAmp 2.9 (less bloated)
> http://classic.winamp.com/download/index.jhtml

Won't consider this suggestion yet until other suggestions proved not
working.

> Most importantly, install more memory - 64MB is not enough
> for Windows 98SE to run smoothly.

Why? 98SE is a very 'old' OS! Windows is that poor ? Although
subjectively speaking I will say yes!

> On 26 Sep 2003 09:56:53 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> ComeMon! scrawled:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
> >ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
> >directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
> >slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
> >songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
> >opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
> >were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
> >stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
> >
> >I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
> >'normal' under similar situation ?
> >
> >Tks!

ComeMon!

"HamMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bl21nt$4uk$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "ComeMon!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
> > ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
> > directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
> > slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
> > songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
> > opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
> > were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
> > stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
> >
> > I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
> > 'normal' under similar situation ?
> >
> > Tks!

> You could try using the latest release of winamp2, i've found it to be much
> faster (i use it mainly because of the 3rd party plugin i use for
> projections)
>
> But really, what do you expect from a 166?

I just don't want my computer to run as a 'snail' . It's just
playing audio files!!!

Paul - xxx

ComeMon! tried to scribble ...

> "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> Add more memory, run less 'background' applications, generally
>> clean-up the
>> computer hard drive and files ..

> 1. The notebook is of an old model, may be hard to find compatibile
> memory.

Crucial.com .. I have a P2 233MMX Toshiba (for one of my sons) that I just
upgraded to 256 meg Ram, and it flies now. (relatively)

> 2. Pressed Ctrl-Alt-Esc, found below list of processes listed : 2
> explorer windows instances, explorer, internat, winampa,
> btstackserver, irmon, 2xrundll32, systray processes (total 10
> entries). Would yuou say it's too much 'background' applications ?

Yes. IMHO of those posted I would say you need explorer, unless you use the
IR port and then you also need irmon.

> 3. Cleaned up HD (temporary internet directory, windows temp
> directory) to increase free disk space from below 60MB to 105MB. Found
> performance slightly improved although still unsatisfactory.

Also do a scandisk and a defrag .. Mike's link to his maintenance page is
invaluable, I simply forgot to add it to my post ..

--