Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > virus removal

virus removal

miklol

I have had am am still getting loads of the microsoft emails and have run a
removal tool from symantec which has not detected a virus. I believed
getting the emails proved I had swen, obviously not so. Is there no way to
block unwanted messages? A simple, sensible answer please as there seem to
be some really clever people out there over my head.

Rob

http://www.techhowto.orghowto/sweninfo.html

--
Rob B

"miklol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%lVcb.227$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had am am still getting loads of the microsoft emails and have run

> removal tool from symantec which has not detected a virus. I believed
> getting the emails proved I had swen, obviously not so. Is there no way to
> block unwanted messages? A simple, sensible answer please as there seem to
> be some really clever people out there over my head.

Ionizer

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.techhowto.orghowto/sweninfo.html
>

> --
> Rob B

I think you meant to say: http://www.techhowto.org/howto/sweninfo.html

Regards,
Ian.

Patrick

miklol wrote:
> I have had am am still getting loads of the microsoft emails and have
> run a removal tool from symantec which has not detected a virus. I
> believed getting the emails proved I had swen, obviously not so. Is
> there no way to block unwanted messages? A simple, sensible answer
> please as there seem to be some really clever people out there over
> my head.

Please be advised to see, the page at the link below;

trout

miklol wrote:

> I have had am am still getting loads of the microsoft emails and have
> run a removal tool from symantec which has not detected a virus. I
> believed getting the emails proved I had swen, obviously not so. Is
> there no way to block unwanted messages? A simple, sensible answer
> please as there seem to be some really clever people out there over
> my head.

No, getting the emails does *not* mean you are infected. And you
won't be, if you don't open the attachments.
As others have mentioned; 'munge' your address in newsgroups; so
that it won't be available to viruses (or spam-bots). As you're already
getting them; this may take a while to make a difference. And it will
make *no* difference if a computer is affected that has your address in
the address book.
Now to avoid receiving these emails, use Message Rules.
Go to Tools > Message Rules > Mail > New.
Here is an example, posted by Ron Martell:
Ron Martell's Message Rules:
[paste]
Where the message body contains 'This is the qmail program'
or 'Undelivered message to'
or 'I'm sorry to have to inform you that I wasn't able to deliver your
message'
or 'I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message'
or 'Undeliverable mail to'
or 'all known security vulnerabilities'
or 'Undelivered mail to' or 'Undeliverable message to'
or 'I'm sorry I wasn't able to deliver your message'
or 'Undeliverable to'
or 'I'm afraid the message returned below'
or 'Undelivered to'
or 'An e-mail delivered to you contained a virus'
Delete it
and Stop processing more rules
[end paste]
This is what he's been successfully using. You may need to add more
phrases, as the virus evolves; but this should give you the general
idea, and cut down on what you're receiving, now.
--
"Good luck."

Larry

test
news:bl290i$6r7uq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> [...]

> or 'Undelivered message to'
> or 'I'm sorry to have to inform you that I wasn't able to deliver your
> message'
> or 'I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message'
> or 'Undeliverable mail to'
> or 'all known security vulnerabilities'
> or 'Undelivered mail to' or 'Undeliverable message to'
> or 'I'm sorry I wasn't able to deliver your message'
> or 'Undeliverable to'
> or 'I'm afraid the message returned below'
> or 'Undelivered to'
> or 'An e-mail delivered to you contained a virus'
> Delete it
> and Stop processing more rules
> [end paste]
> This is what he's been successfully using. You may need to add more
> phrases, as the virus evolves; but this should give you the general
> idea, and cut down on what you're receiving, now.

Boomer

Larry wrote:

> test

[snip]

Hello

Please use a TEST group to post test messages. um.test --->

The purpose of *test* newsgroups is to allow users to test
their news software and servers without annoying others.

FYI http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html

Thank You