Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Basic network question

Basic network question

why?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:10:18 +1000, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a
i l.com> wrote:

>In news:bl11o7$qgk$(E-Mail Removed),
>Ged <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
>|| I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and
>|| a hub Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.

<snip>

>|| I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any
>|| help would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace
>|| with the router?
>|| and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
>|| or do i just plug in one.
>
>Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
>router"?
>
>As far as where it goes on your network you must first understand what a
>router does... hence the first question.
>
>Your network doesn't need a router... unless you want to put 2 of your
>computers on a different subnet than the other.

<snip>

Ignore all that crap from Robert de Brus.

<snip>

Me

why?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:41:41 +0100, Ged wrote:

>I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and a hub
>Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
>I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have web
>access.
>but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
>
>I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any help
>would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace with the
>router?
>and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
>or do i just plug in one.

Here are a few URLs, in addition to your other replies.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
http://www.wown.com/

Me

Robert de Brus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
||| In news:bl11o7$qgk$(E-Mail Removed),
||| Ged <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| <snip>
||| Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
||| router"?
||| As far as where it goes on your network you must first understand
||| what a router does... hence the first question.
||| Your network doesn't need a router... unless you want to put 2 of
||| your computers on a different subnet than the other.
|| <snip>
|| Ignore all that crap from Robert de Brus.

Goose!

You'd sell someone something they don't need.

|| <snip>
|| Me

You

---
Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

why?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:09:55 +1000, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a
i l.com> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
>|| <snip>

It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home. Hence
a router to connect them together.

>|| <snip>
>|| Ignore all that crap from Robert de Brus.
>
>Goose!
>
>You'd sell someone something they don't need.

That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.

<snip>

Me

Mara

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:09:07 GMT, why? wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:09:55 +1000, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a
>i l.com> wrote:

<snip>

>It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home. Hence
>a router to connect them together.

Yep. That's how I do it - multiple networked systems, through a router to the
ISP. Simple, very easy, very quick, stable as hell.

>>Goose!
>>
>>You'd sell someone something they don't need.

>That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.

Careful. He might start whining again, after being contradicted.

"That's what he's best at."

--
If it adjusts their attitude towards the desired goal, then it's a LART,
even if it doesn't leave blood stains." -- Paul Tomblin

Robert de Brus

In news(E-Mail Removed),
why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
||| In news:(E-Mail Removed),
||| why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
|| It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home.
|| Hence a router to connect them together.

You're a loon!

The computer connected to the ISP *IS* the router, you tool.

||| Goose!
||| You'd sell someone something they don't need.
|| That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.

The original post, with the limited info provided, didn't need a router.

---
Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

Robert de Brus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:09:07 GMT, why? wrote:
|| <snip>
||| It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home.
||| Hence
||| a router to connect them together.
|| Yep. That's how I do it - multiple networked systems, through a
|| router to the ISP. Simple, very easy, very quick, stable as hell.

Multiple networked systems? I doubt it.

What IP addessing schemes are you using on these multiple networks you have
connected to your router?

I'm really interested to know.

||| That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.
|| Careful. He might start whining again, after being contradicted.
|| "That's what he's best at."

When you know what you're talking about you'll stop looking like suck a
fool.

||| <snip>
||| Me

Her