Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Basic network question

Basic network question

Ged

I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and a hub
Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have web
access.
but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.

I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any help
would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace with the
router?
and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
or do i just plug in one.

thanks for advice

gerald

Slackly

Remove the hub. Connect the router to your WAN access source. Plug your
3 computers directly into the router. Configure the router to provide
the LAN IP addresses via DHCP and your computers to accept their IP
addresses from the router.

That should get you going.

If you add more computers than the number of available router ports,
then the hub, (or a switch) can be added behind the router to accomodate
this.

Ged wrote:
> I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and a hub
> Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
> I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have web
> access.
> but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
>
> I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any help
> would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace with the
> router?
> and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
> or do i just plug in one.
>
> thanks for advice
>

> gerald

Maarten Hendrix [Systemec.nl]

Remove the hub and use the router as connection sharer there will be a
instalation guide where it wil be told to you how to install

"Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl11o7$qgk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and a hub
> Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
> I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have web
> access.
> but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
>
> I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any help
> would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace with the
> router?
> and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
> or do i just plug in one.
>
> thanks for advice
>

> gerald

Robert de Brus

In news:bl11o7$qgk$(E-Mail Removed),
Ged <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and
|| a hub Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
|| I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have
|| web access.
|| but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
|| I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any
|| help would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace
|| with the router?
|| and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
|| or do i just plug in one.

Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
router"?

As far as where it goes on your network you must first understand what a
router does... hence the first question.

Your network doesn't need a router... unless you want to put 2 of your
computers on a different subnet than the other.

Of course you could use your router as a replacement for your hub, meaning
your hub would no longer be needed, or...

What sort of internet connection are you sharing? If it's a cable or DSL
connection the router could be used to share that connection with your other
PCs.

---
Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

Ged

Thanks for the help guys but i may have a small prob if i remove the hub and
replace with the router.
because the hub is upstairs away from the telephone line.
I have 2 computers upstairs and my broadband pc is downstairs. would i get
away with patching the router into
the downstairs data point and leave the 4 port hub where is.

"Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl11o7$qgk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and a hub
> Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
> I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have web
> access.
> but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
>
> I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any help
> would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace with the
> router?
> and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
> or do i just plug in one.
>
> thanks for advice
>

> gerald

Ged

I need a router basically so i don't have to switch on all 3 machines to
access the net.

Ged

"Robert de Brus" < wrote in>

> Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
> router"?

Answer to that is so only one pc needs to be on to access the net. example
the one upstairs only.

Maarten Hendrix [Systemec.nl]

Yes

"Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl146s$s5m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the help guys but i may have a small prob if i remove the hub

and
> replace with the router.
> because the hub is upstairs away from the telephone line.
> I have 2 computers upstairs and my broadband pc is downstairs. would i

get
> away with patching the router into
> the downstairs data point and leave the 4 port hub where is.
>

> "Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl11o7$qgk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and a

hub
> > Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
> > I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have web
> > access.
> > but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any help
> > would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace with the
> > router?
> > and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
> > or do i just plug in one.
> >
> > thanks for advice
> >

> > gerald

Robert de Brus

In news:bl14qe$oqb$(E-Mail Removed),
Ged <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| I need a router basically so i don't have to switch on all 3
|| machines to access the net.

But you don't need to do that anyway. All you need is the one that's
actually sharing the connection.

---
Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

Ged

I download from the pc upstairs which is not the gateway machine.

news:lGVcb.4683$(E-Mail Removed)...