Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > leaving pc on

leaving pc on

Richard Daniel

ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this correct

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Richard Daniel wrote:
> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
> correct

there WAS a theory some years ago that turning your PC on and off several
times a day put undue strain on the fan and other components and accelerated
wear on the "on-Off" button. Haven't heard that for a while, so maybe it's
been discredited?

--
Google is your Friend
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

Maarten Hendrix [Systemec.nl]

if you want to pay about 25 euro's per month for the electricetie your pc
uses yes.
i don't know wat you want to do with you pc but it is not neccesary to have
your pc on 24/7

"Richard Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl0v7i$btj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this

correct

Stevo

Richard Daniel wrote:
> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
> correct

It's not a black and white issue, how you use your computer is a personal
choice.. with an electronics background I am familiar with the theory that
the majority of failures in electronic equipment occur at power up, and
there is some truth to that.. but it is usually due to repeated shut
down/power up cycles that cause that..

But I am also aware of equipment failures due to power surges, brownouts and
other factors like electrical storms etc.

Most Windows PC's benefit from a restart, at least once a day. I wouldn't
advocate turning off the PC every time you get up and walk away to make a
cuppa or eat lunch, but at the same time, I am not sure you should leave the
thing on 24/7 unless there is a specific (server, website etc) reason to do
so. A rough rule of thumb, if you are going to be away for an hour or more,
and the PC will be doing nothing, then power it down..

Depending on how you connect to the net, then leaving your machine powered
up and connected to the net could be a harmful practice unless you take
other precautions..

What do you do with your TV? Radio? Hifi/Stereo etc? The same rules apply I
would think.. and these days unless you are unlucky in your choice of
PC/PSU manufacturer the chances of failure aren't high.. the use of a UPS
would improve matters a lot also, good power solves a lot of problems....

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Stevo

Stevo wrote:
> Richard Daniel wrote:
>> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
>> correct

> It's not a black and white issue, how you use your computer is a
> personal choice.. with an electronics background I am familiar with
> the theory that the majority of failures in electronic equipment
> occur at power up, and there is some truth to that.. but it is
> usually due to repeated shut down/power up cycles that cause that..
>
> But I am also aware of equipment failures due to power surges,
> brownouts and other factors like electrical storms etc.
>
> Most Windows PC's benefit from a restart, at least once a day. I
> wouldn't advocate turning off the PC every time you get up and walk
> away to make a cuppa or eat lunch, but at the same time, I am not
> sure you should leave the thing on 24/7 unless there is a specific
> (server, website etc) reason to do so. A rough rule of thumb, if you
> are going to be away for an hour or more, and the PC will be doing
> nothing, then power it down..
>
> Depending on how you connect to the net, then leaving your machine
> powered up and connected to the net could be a harmful practice
> unless you take other precautions..
>
> What do you do with your TV? Radio? Hifi/Stereo etc? The same rules
> apply I would think.. and these days unless you are unlucky in your
> choice of PC/PSU manufacturer the chances of failure aren't high..
> the use of a UPS would improve matters a lot also, good power solves
> a lot of problems....

And of course, there IS the enviromental concerns to consider...

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Herbert West

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:03:56 +0100, "Gordon Burgess-Parker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Richard Daniel wrote:
>> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
>> correct

>there WAS a theory some years ago that turning your PC on and off several
>times a day put undue strain on the fan and other components and accelerated
>wear on the "on-Off" button. Haven't heard that for a while, so maybe it's
>been discredited?

It also contributed to such effects known as "thermal cycling" and
"chip-creep." The pins of socketed IC's would expand and shrink with
the cycle causing them to loosen in time. I've seen a couple cases
where the chip actually managed to creep entirely out of the socket!
That was in the days of 286's, and few, if any IC's are socketed
nowadays. It's all that throwaway surface mount stuff.

-herb-

Robert de Brus

In news:3f74017b$(E-Mail Removed),
Gordon Burgess-Parker <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| Richard Daniel wrote:
||| ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this
||| correct
|| there WAS a theory some years ago that turning your PC on and off
|| several times a day put undue strain on the fan and other components
|| and accelerated wear on the "on-Off" button. Haven't heard that for
|| a while, so maybe it's been discredited?

I don't think strain on the fan was ever an issue. More like hard drives
spining up, cathode ray tubes firing up, that sort of thing.

Of course if it had been discredited there'd be no need for Advanced Power
Management...

---
Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

Gareth Slee

"Stevo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f740333$0$32058$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> What do you do with your TV? Radio? Hifi/Stereo etc?

Yeah, but my TV, Radio, Hifi/Stereo doesnt take ~2 minutes to become
usuable.

--
Gareth Slee

http://www.garethslee.com
http://www.lapie.com

BananaPannaPoe-

Do you leave your car running when you are not using it? It won't hurt it
you know. And you won't wear out your starter and battery so fast.

--
"Richard Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl0v7i$btj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ive been told that my comp should be running 24 hours a day is this

correct

---

Unknown

If two minutes bothers you, leave it on. Lots of luck.
"Gareth Slee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl1hjv$6unkn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Stevo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f740333$0$32058$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>
> > What do you do with your TV? Radio? Hifi/Stereo etc?

> Yeah, but my TV, Radio, Hifi/Stereo doesnt take ~2 minutes to become
> usuable.
>
> --
> Gareth Slee
>
> http://www.garethslee.com
> http://www.lapie.com

Raise event when leaving Textbox tshad ASP .Net 2 02-04-2005 12:10 AM
Determine if an image has focus after leaving another image. Thomasa Gregg ASP .Net 1 06-28-2004 04:31 PM
Leaving a Page brian ASP .Net 4 06-12-2004 01:12 AM
Create cookie in what event when leaving page? Rich ASP .Net 1 02-20-2004 11:13 PM
Module to notify application when leaving site? Kevin Burton ASP .Net 2 11-01-2003 07:52 PM

Advertisments