Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mangled address in newsgroups, legit address in e-mails

Mangled address in newsgroups, legit address in e-mails

Arthur Whitter

Hi.

Running 98 SE and Communicator 4.8.

Is there a way that I can post to newsgroups with a mangled address
while simultaneously giving my real address in the e-mails I send?
[Some of my recipients are newbies who may not know how to (for example)
take out the X's when responding.] Or will I have to back to Edit |
Preferences (etc.) each time?

TIA, Arthur

Rob

I have Z;s around my address.
Remove Z;s to reply directly.

It's called munging.
Here's some info;
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

--
Rob B
http://www.techhowto.org

"Arthur Whitter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> Running 98 SE and Communicator 4.8.
>
> Is there a way that I can post to newsgroups with a mangled address
> while simultaneously giving my real address in the e-mails I send?
> [Some of my recipients are newbies who may not know how to (for example)
> take out the X's when responding.] Or will I have to back to Edit |
> Preferences (etc.) each time?
>
> TIA, Arthur

Shel-hed

There is no way to do this in 4.8
Depending on how you use the program, using profiles may solve your problem.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:58:40 GMT, Arthur Whitter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>Hi.
>
> Running 98 SE and Communicator 4.8.
>
> Is there a way that I can post to newsgroups with a mangled address
>while simultaneously giving my real address in the e-mails I send?
>[Some of my recipients are newbies who may not know how to (for example)
>take out the X's when responding.] Or will I have to back to Edit |
>Preferences (etc.) each time?
>
> TIA, Arthur

Steve Freides

One way to do this in 4.8 is to create another profile and login to
Netscape separately for email and newsgroups. A royal pain, I agree,
right up there with changing it in Preferences. I've writing this on
4.79; it's easier to do this with Netscape 6 and later, I think.

Another choice is to use MS's Outlook Express for newsgroups and keep
Netscape for email, or vice versa - you can keep them both open on your
desktop at once.

-S-

Arthur Whitter wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Running 98 SE and Communicator 4.8.
>
> Is there a way that I can post to newsgroups with a mangled address
> while simultaneously giving my real address in the e-mails I send?
> [Some of my recipients are newbies who may not know how to (for example)
> take out the X's when responding.] Or will I have to back to Edit |
> Preferences (etc.) each time?
>
> TIA, Arthur

Richard

Arthur wrote:

> Hi.

> Running 98 SE and Communicator 4.8.

> Is there a way that I can post to newsgroups with a mangled address
> while simultaneously giving my real address in the e-mails I send?
> [Some of my recipients are newbies who may not know how to (for
> example)
> take out the X's when responding.] Or will I have to back to Edit |
> Preferences (etc.) each time?

> TIA, Arthur

Use a seperate newsreader or mail handler.

DT

, Once upon a time in a land far away Arthur Whitter was alleged to have

--
If you upgrade to Netscape 7.1 or Mozilla you will be able to set up
different identities for mail and news. Easily.