Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > On line and phone at same time

On line and phone at same time

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since I
have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I can't
for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
clue him in.

°Mike°

Have your friend install a second phone line.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Phil

Try This, It will be a lot cheaper than installing a second phoneline -
"This company will sell you a piece of equipment that connects between your
modem and phone.
They can be found at www.eDREAM.co.uk and the machine is called "internet
alert" page 28 of catalogue" - It tells you when someone is calling you and
you just hit a button and answer your telephone. I have been using it since
it came out and it is Brilliant

Best of luck
Phil

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have your friend install a second phone line.
>

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>
> >I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since I
> >have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
> >able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I can't
> >for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
> >software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
> >clue him in.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Richard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since
> have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
> able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I
> can't
> for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
> software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
> clue him in.

There are a few switchboxes available for this.
One is advertised fairly regularly on tv.
you might try places like "circuit city" or even "best buy".
Even one of your local decent computer shops.

°Mike°

Why are you telling me? Besides, on that item, in the catalog:

"Sorry, Sold Out"

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:09:05 +0100, in
<bkvsji$ea$(E-Mail Removed)>
Phil scrawled:

>Try This, It will be a lot cheaper than installing a second phoneline -
>"This company will sell you a piece of equipment that connects between your
>modem and phone.
>They can be found at www.eDREAM.co.uk and the machine is called "internet
>alert" page 28 of catalogue" - It tells you when someone is calling you and
>you just hit a button and answer your telephone. I have been using it since
>it came out and it is Brilliant
>
>Best of luck
>Phil

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have your friend install a second phone line.
>>

>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>>
>> >I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since I
>> >have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
>> >able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I can't
>> >for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
>> >software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
>> >clue him in.

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Brian H¹©

Richard said:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since
>> have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
>> able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I
>> can't
>> for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
>> software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
>> clue him in.

> There are a few switchboxes available for this.
> One is advertised fairly regularly on tv.
> you might try places like "circuit city" or even "best buy".
> Even one of your local decent computer shops.

Doesn't a switchbox break one circuit to make another, as in switch?
Defeating the object somewhat don't you think?

Shep©

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, In this world we created
(E-Mail Removed) wrote :

>I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since I
>have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
>able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I can't
>for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
>software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
>clue him in.

If an ISP supports V.92 and the user has a modem that supports," V.92
Suspend" then it will pause his internet connection to take the call.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply

Herbert West

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since I
>have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
>able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I can't
>for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
>software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
>clue him in.

3 ways to do it.

1.) Get V.92 capable modem and an ISP who offers V.92 service in
your area. (Requires only standard phone service)

2.) Get broadband DSL service. (Requires DSL phione service)

3.) Get broadband cablemodem service. (requires cable TV)

Richard

Brian wrote:

> Richard said:

>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> > I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me

>> since
>>> have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
>>> able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I
>>> can't
>>> for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function
>>> of
>>> software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
>>> clue him in.

>> There are a few switchboxes available for this.
>> One is advertised fairly regularly on tv.
>> you might try places like "circuit city" or even "best buy".
>> Even one of your local decent computer shops.

> Doesn't a switchbox break one circuit to make another, as in switch?
> Defeating the object somewhat don't you think?

Didn't know what else to call it. And there are such things as automatic
switchboxes.

nemo

I suspect it's called ADSL and provided your friends exchange is
enabled I would suggest that he goes for it.

Regards

nemo