Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Conversations in groups.

Conversations in groups.

Aitch

When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's a
conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new posting to
the same subject.
Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.

Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same thread.

Thanks.

Brian H供

Aitch said:

> When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's a
> conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new posting to
> the same subject.
> Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
>
> Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
> response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same thread.
>
> Thanks.

Tools | Options | Send | News Sending Format | Plain Text Settings | Indent the
original text with >

Patrick

Aitch wrote:
> When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's
> a conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new
> posting to the same subject.
> Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
>
> Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
> response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same
> thread.
>
> Thanks.

Well, to reply to your post, I did;
With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the beggining of
each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press 'Reply to
Group' etc
Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted, this will
give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one set of chevrons
and so on,.

If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail address)
you would press the 'Reply' button.

If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the same
commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

Patrick

Patrick wrote:
> Aitch wrote:
>> When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's
>> a conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new
>> posting to the same subject.
>> Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
>>
>> Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
>> response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same
>> thread.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Well, to reply to your post, I did;
> With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
> I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the
> beggining of each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
> I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
> If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press
> 'Reply to Group' etc
> Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted,
> this will give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one
> set of chevrons and so on,.
>
> If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail
> address) you would press the 'Reply' button.
>
> If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the same
> commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

And this post is me, replying to my own post that replied to you (note how
it is indented to my original reply.)

Note how Brian replied seperatly to you thus being in line with ny first
post.

Anyway, I'm sure that you will find it all as 'easy as blinking' (when you
know how).

Best Wishes Patrick

PS note that you do not need to change the 'Subject' field (though you can,
if you want) when replieing, and note that 'Re:' is added automatically in
the 'Subject' field.

Brian H供

Patrick said:

> Patrick wrote:
>> Aitch wrote:
>>> When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's
>>> a conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new
>>> posting to the same subject.
>>> Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
>>>
>>> Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
>>> response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same
>>> thread.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Well, to reply to your post, I did;
>> With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
>> I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the
>> beggining of each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
>> I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
>> If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press
>> 'Reply to Group' etc
>> Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted,
>> this will give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one
>> set of chevrons and so on,.
>>
>> If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail
>> address) you would press the 'Reply' button.
>>
>> If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the same
>> commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

> And this post is me, replying to my own post that replied to you (note how
> it is indented to my original reply.)
>
> Note how Brian replied seperatly to you thus being in line with ny first
> post.
>
> Anyway, I'm sure that you will find it all as 'easy as blinking' (when you
> know how).
>
> Best Wishes Patrick
>
> PS note that you do not need to change the 'Subject' field (though you can,
> if you want) when replieing, and note that 'Re:' is added automatically in
> the 'Subject' field.

You forgot to add "but shouldn't" after "if you want".
Changing the subject line move the subject to a different thread if that subject
exists already, or a new one if not.
Changing the subject is confusing, just as confusing and annoying as changing
the subject when in verbal conversations.

Patrick

Brian H供 wrote:
> Patrick said:
>
>> Patrick wrote:

>>> Well, to reply to your post, I did;
>>> With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
>>> I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the
>>> beggining of each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
>>> I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
>>> If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press
>>> 'Reply to Group' etc
>>> Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted,
>>> this will give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one
>>> set of chevrons and so on,.
>>>
>>> If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail
>>> address) you would press the 'Reply' button.
>>>
>>> If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the
>>> same commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

>> And this post is me, replying to my own post that replied to you
>> (note how it is indented to my original reply.)
>>
>> Note how Brian replied seperatly to you thus being in line with ny
>> first post.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm sure that you will find it all as 'easy as blinking'
>> (when you know how).
>>
>> Best Wishes Patrick
>>
>> PS note that you do not need to change the 'Subject' field (though
>> you can, if you want) when replieing, and note that 'Re:' is added
>> automatically in the 'Subject' field.

> You forgot to add "but shouldn't" after "if you want".
> Changing the subject line move the subject to a different thread if
> that subject exists already, or a new one if not.
> Changing the subject is confusing, just as confusing and annoying as
> changing the subject when in verbal conversations.

Truly, truly (the devil is in the detail).

Aitch

Thanks Patrick for the very comprehensive reply. Most grateful.

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bSEcb.3937$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patrick wrote:
> > Aitch wrote:
> >> When I look at the pages on this NG in some cases it reads as if it's
> >> a conversation with bits added as people respond, rather than a new
> >> posting to the same subject.
> >> Is that clear? Sometimes the messages have >>> or summat like it.
> >>
> >> Are these posted using reply or in some otherway. If I try to send a
> >> response it seems to come up a an entirely separate item in the same
> >> thread.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Well, to reply to your post, I did;
> > With your post highlighted, I hit the 'Reply to Group' icon.
> > I then find that the 'chevrons' (>) have been inserted at the
> > beggining of each line of your text to distinguish it from mine.
> > I then moved the cursor to the bottom ready to reply to you.
> > If you reply back to me, then you will highlight this post, press
> > 'Reply to Group' etc
> > Now at this point an extra set of 'chevrons' (>) will be inserted,
> > this will give your first post two sets of chevrons and my text one
> > set of chevrons and so on,.
> >
> > If you want to reply specificaly to the poster (to thiere e-mail
> > address) you would press the 'Reply' button.
> >
> > If you don't have the mentioned icons on your 'Toolbar' then the same
> > commands can be found on the 'Messages' menu.

> And this post is me, replying to my own post that replied to you (note how
> it is indented to my original reply.)
>
> Note how Brian replied seperatly to you thus being in line with ny first
> post.
>
> Anyway, I'm sure that you will find it all as 'easy as blinking' (when you
> know how).
>
> Best Wishes Patrick
>
> PS note that you do not need to change the 'Subject' field (though you

can,
> if you want) when replieing, and note that 'Re:' is added automatically in
> the 'Subject' field.

Aitch

Brian,
Thanks a lot. Most informative and I 've learned something today.

Regards,

news:bYEcb.4117$%(E-Mail Removed)...

Aitch said:

> Brian,
> Thanks a lot. Most informative and I 've learned something today.
>
> Regards,

You're welcome.

Aitch wrote:
> Thanks Patrick for the very comprehensive reply. Most grateful.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
- Lao-tzu